Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Another one I learned about, hold down the volume up and down buttons and it will mute the system.

I found it a bit of a hassle to do though, due to the size of my fingers.

2. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Motorstorm RC is soooo good recommend everyone to buy it-esp over Super Stardust which didnt really get lol
    Keep getting ass wooped too on UMvsC3 but the graphics are amazing
    Anyone sussed Fifa yet?i had to turn the rear pad off due to my fingers catching it sending the ball back towards my goal each time lol

Overall great system, hardly used my iphone/ipad for games since which is a shame but hey its the Vita!;)

Also Escape Plan is so frustrating lol my guys have died so many times i end up turning it off-but always come back to it later

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I think it's funny how after playing with the vita playing on an iPhone or iPod is pretty much impossible because the screen is so tiny!

4. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Haha 1 hour after i hot it i couldn't even type a textt! I found it pretty funny

5. Der-Kleine

Btw, I really love the screenshot mode in Wipeout :D

[​IMG]

6. Really? I'm too used to the iPhone's keyboard layout, so the Vita's keyboard is going to take a long time for me to get used to.

7. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #447 Pacificsun0481, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    I'm loving my 3DS and Vita, they're both amazing handheld devices and I'd love for both to cater to their individual strengths.

With 3DS really picking up steam, I've built a good collection from every genre since acquiring mine in August. Since then, I've ditched iOS gaming in favor of the core dedicated handheld. I use my iPad every day but it's been a long time since I've really gamed on the unit.

It was iOS that pulled me into handheld gamin and iOS that drove me to dedicated handhelds. The lack of core games, lack of physical input, lower production values, casual shovel ware, low ceiling prices/firesale and freemium were the nails in the coffin.

Regardless how powerful the iOS devices become, I'm disinterested in upgrades because I understand developers will never push the envelope because there is no incentive, with most games costing about 1-5$...compared to the budget of a handheld game poured in by devs, costing a substantial amount more to the consumer = you get first class gaming/get what you pay for. There is more value to me, in a $39 game vs. a $1 fun for a day, discard game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not pictured:

3DS, Nyko Power Grip and CPP add on

Vita, 16 GB card, starter case kit and cradle

8. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Believe it or not, Ninja Gaiden Sigma looks exactly like the PS3 port, plays rock solid, runs at native resolution. It's really beautiful and solid on Vita. Surprised it turned out as well as it did :eek:

Worthy addition to anyone's library for sure. I'd venture to say it feels better on the Vita too...

9. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    @Pacificsun: I love your collection of games! I've been meaning to pick up Cave Story for the 3DS, is it worth picking up?! I've played the original DL from the 3DS shop, is it like that, only in 3D?

Also, I agree with you wholeheartedly with regards to gaming on dedicated handhelds. I have a much more enjoyable experience gaming on the 3DS, and Vita, than I do on the iPhone or iPad.

As much as these games cost, you realize that you can't beat the quality of having a physical joystick, and the immersive experience these games offer.

I do have a lot of great games on both the iPhone and iPad, including hits like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Cave games like Espgaluda, Deathsmiles, and other great titles, but it's not quite the same as playing it on dedicated handhelds, or consoles at home.

I'm finding myself ditching iOS gaming for dedicated console gaming with both the 3DS and Vita.

I hope this isn't the last of them, and I hope the future of gaming will continue to support handhelds like the 3DS, and PS Vita, and many more to come!

10. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #450 Pacificsun0481, Feb 24, 2012
    Thanks for the awesome words and your take on the feel of dedicated handhelds.

Cave Story 3D has a complete visual overhaul. I never played the original, so the 3D remake was my first Cave Story experience....

It has polygonal levels, yet apparently keeps with the same side view angle. It's beautiful and brilliant. I love the game and the music is awesome. I highly recommend it, and I expect the game to become hard to find as it had a small pressing. The 3D in the game is really good, too.

Other games that haven't gotten a ton of press but are amazing on 3DS are:

Nano Assault, which has some awesome Starfox type levels, mixed with Super Mario Galaxy/Super Stardust celluloid shooter levels. It's also really beautiful visually. The sound design also gives a very Metroid Prime feel to the game.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy is really good. It's a remake of Ace Combat 2 from the PS1. The 3D is stunning, as are the mechanics when evading and dogfighting; the camera pans and it becomes this beautiful dance of danger. It has the delicacy of dancing and the depth, strategy and combat finesse of a fighting game.

I'd highly recommend these games.

My next Vita game will be Gravity Rush, but that's all the way in May. NGS+, Uncharted and Rayman will hold me over until PS1 comparability arrives. I can't wait to play REsident Evil 1-3 on this device. Favorite series, so to have Mercs 3D + Recelations on 3DS and the first RE games on Vita is a dream.

11. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    Awesome! I'll have to run and get Cave Story 3D today! :) You've sold me on it!

Nano Assault sounds great too!

I was never into Ace Combat, but in 3D it sounds like I may have to check it out!

Unchartered and Rayman are my most played titles for the Vita right now, in fact, I think I'm almost done playing Unchartered... on Chapter 30-ish... It's a very immersive game.

Do you know when PS1 compatibility will arrive? I can't wait for that.. I'm hoping some games like the Simpsons will be compatible with the Vita too, do you know anything about PS3 games being compatible with the Vita? Seems like the system could more than handle a game like that...

Also downloaded Scary Girl for the PS3, and really loving that game... reminds me of Klonoa styled gameplay, but graphically it looks very unique... I hope that will be compatible with the Vita in the near future too!

Also, if Braid comes via handheld, I'll be in heaven!

12. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

#452 MicroByte, Feb 24, 2012
    I'm in the same boat as some of you, I've grown tired of the iOS "scene" and have found things to be a little stale and prefer something more in depth. I started finding myself buying these cheap games, but it was quickly adding up because most were shallow or just couldn't keep my attention.

I recently started playing 3DS games again and am now consumed with the Vita. I think the Vita will be my primary go to gaming device, it's almost everything I could have asked for in a handheld. I've always been in the camp that I would love to have an iPod Touch with physical controls, but the Vita is just so much more than that. I picked up way too many launch titles, but there were so many that released that appeal to me.

I'm in heaven with Wipeout 2048, Katamari and Hot Shots Golf at the moment. I think with the initial batch of games, plus the ones on the horizon, I've got enought to play through for the Vita to be THE gaming system of choice for me.

in case you were interested, here's what I mean by way too many titles:

Uncharted
    Wipeout 2048
    Hot Shots Golf
    Touch My Katamari
    Mod Nation Racers
    Asphalt Injection
    Super Star Dust
    Mutant Blobs Attack

Bought with buy 2 get one free and won't open until I play through the ones above:
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom
    Lumines 2
    Fifa 2012

This plus all of my PSP games over the years will keep me busy. Anyone want to share their launch purchases?

Also, does anyone want to exchange PSN ID's? I feel like I've "known" a lot of you from iOS related gaming posts, so thought it would be great to have you as PSN friends.

*edit*

Forgot, my PSN is jhaasl for anyone that would like to add me.

13. Der-Kleine

#453 Der-Kleine, Feb 24, 2012
    I only bought Wipeout 2048 (amazing game btw for those that don't have it!). Unfortunately I don't have alot of money to buy games, so I'll wait for a sale on games like Uncharted (I wish there was a demo for that in the german store) and Rayman (loved the demo, it's great for showing off the screen!). With the games that are comming soon I think Unit 13 is the game I'm interested in the most.

If anyone wants to add me on PSN, it's XDerKleineX

Does anyone know why every picture I take in the screenshot mode of Wipeout looks like some promotional pic that isn't atall rendered by the Vita? Example:
    [​IMG]

14. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    That's a "feature" that Wipeout 2048 has.

Also launch purchases:
    Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
    Rayman Origins
    Wipeout 2048
    Virtua Tennis 4
    Touch My Katamari
    Hustle Kings
    Super Stardust Delta
    Plants VS Zombies
    Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!

Plus all my PSP games, recently purchased Corpse Party.

Yeah I have my hands full. Next purchases will probably be Motorstorm and Unit 13.

PSN ID: SiDCrAzYY, anyone can add me :)

15. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I'll add you both tonight, if not go ahead an add me now!

Envisionimage

How's katamari btw? Is it a new version just for vita or is it a port? I didn't see it in GameStop, just on the psn store

16. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Nice list there. I also want Rayman and Virtua Tennis, those will have to come later though.

I have Unit 13 preordered, the demo is SO good! I think the controls for in general and aiming are really great, better than Uncharted.

I'll add you all in a bit, maybe we can play some Unit 13 Co-op when it's released. :)

17. matthewwhatever

matthewwhatever Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    government
    Ottawa, Canada
    Brand new version! I haven't cracked mine open yet, but I know Joystiq said it was the best mobile version of Katamari, entirely because you have the two thumbsticks.

I've bought a whole bunch of launch titles:
    Katamari
    Rayman Origins
    Uncharted
    Lumines
    Modnation Racers
    Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom
    Escape Plan
    Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!
    Super Stardust Delta

I also just ordered Ninja Gaiden, and I'll be picking up both Unit 13 and MLB 12 when they're out. And I have a bunch of PSP games that I still have to transfer over. And I plan on picking up Shinobido, Virtua Tennis and Wipeout, eventually.

And I have to add my voice to the chorus of people who prefer the Vita over iOS gaming. Getting an iPod Touch a few years ago was definitely what brought me back into gaming after an absence of about ten years, but eventually I just started craving that tactile feedback you get from buttons. I still think it has a place, at least for me; if I only have a few minutes to kill, I'll play Angry Birds or Scrabble, but anything longer than that and I'm busting out my Vita/PSP or my Xperia Play. Sure, the games are more expensive, but in most cases you get what you pay for.

18. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    @Microbyte: I'm with you on the console vs iOS thing. I've grown tired of apps, and loving the Vita and 3DS, although my Vita has been played almost every single night without fail since I received it.

I love the quality of the games, and how immersive, and addictive they are. With apps, I tend to play for 5 or 10 minutes at a time and grow bored, but with these, I'll spend hours on it until my battery needs recharging again!

I've almost beaten Unchartered, and having a total blast with that, and Rayman Origins, but also picked up a lot of other titles (via download)

Little Deviants (Bundled in with the initial launch of the Vita)

Unchartered: Golden Abyss

Marvel vs Capcom 3

Rayman Origins

Katamari

Wipeout 2048

Other games I plan to pick up are F1, LBP (can't wait for that!), and Hot Shots Golf...

Also purchased some PSP games like the Final Fantasy IV collection, Lego Harry Potter (although now I wished I had waited since there's a vita version coming out), the original Ridge Racer for PSP, as well as Metal Slug 1 and 2, Magician Lord (neo geo), and a few other games I can't think of.

Really enjoying this system, and I think for a launch, this is a great start. I may have read somewhere too that this may have been one of the best launches for any system with how many quality games came out on day 1.

19. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    It's funny that we've all stuck around this site for so long. I don't even have an iOS device anymore, but I still check this site every once in a while. I guess I always check it to see if there's ever a title worth getting an iPod again, but NOPE!

My PSN id is LoserEric

I've got Uncharted, FIFA, Lumines, Wipeout, and Super Stardust. And I've been trying to get some high scores on the AR games, but them Japanese already dominate those boards.

20. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Eric I'll add you later, let's get a game of FIfA or lumines going!

Probably going to pick up katamari next week. Still playin the heck out of powerstone.