Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I was actually very impressed with the PSV the first time I tried one but that's been fading every time I tinker with a demo unit. I love the screen and how lightweight the hardware is but I'm having a hard time getting past the incredibly small buttons and the fact that every single game I want to play on it exists in some form on hardware I already own for less money. The smartest thing to do is wait until E3 and see if this thing has any momentum after the launch hype is over. Has anyone heard of anything interesting coming out for the PSV long term? So far the only game I've even heard of being released long after the launch window is an unknown Bioshock title.

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Im pretty sure the unknown bioshock title is infinite. Also someone wrote to 2k and asked about borderlands on the vita and they liked the idea. Cod will be coming out along with the inevitable waves of games in november. I'm sure a battlefield title is in the works and theres probably some I missed

3. Spamcan

#503 Spamcan, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    As much as I would like to see Bioshock Infinite on a portable system it's not going to be Infinite. Ultimately the system needs original content to thrive, if it's nothing but a bunch of console ports or watered down original entries of existing IPs it's going to fall into the same trap every other portable system in history has.

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Posted my lockscreen on another forum and thought I'd post it here, you guys can share if you want:

[​IMG]

5. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Well aside from them releasing more psp titles (waiting for Mg) I'm also excited for little big planet whenever that comes out.

6. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011

7. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    What are you pointing out? That he stayed consistent?

8. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Bought Plants VS. Zombies today, and it's actually really good. Probably the best version released yet. I probably spent too much time playing it today- considering I've beaten it like 10 times before. It's definitely as addicting as ever, and for $15 it's not bad- but if there's a game you really want and you've played this before, I'd just get that instead.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #509 backtothis, Feb 26, 2012
    Hi?

Anyways, like I said, I really liked the controls on the Vita, and the touchscreen works really well. Almost as good as the iOS, but it's harder to use since there are buttons around it. The system is a lot clunkier than i expected though..especially compared to my PSP. I was expecting something slim. The dual-sticks feel/work great, and I actually think the small buttons were a smart design. The back screen was pretty interesting. Not sure how many games could make good use of it though.

Right now, I'm just not that interested in the catalog. Going to give it until at least summer before thinking about getting one. Not into sports/racing games except the ones I can play really quick on the iOS and Mario Kart (xP), and I definitely don't want to pay console prices for puzzle/casual games. That goes for any platform. So, that leaves me with just Uncharted, UMvC3, and Rayman Origins. Dynasty Warriors and Ninja Gaiden look alright too. Already have RO and UMvC3 on the 360, so those are probably better experiences on the big screen. I'm not left with much then.

I think the price point is great though. Can't believe I paid the same amount for the 3DS when that first came out. The launch titles are far superior to the ones the 3DS had, but half of them or more aren't the kind/genre of games I'd want to play. Also, it's nice seeing games cost the same as 3DS titles too besides Uncharted.

10. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #510 KiddToKmart, Feb 26, 2012
    I'm in love all over again... my initial hesitation over getting the Vita when it launched has completely vanished after spending about 4 hours on Uncharted, UMvC3 and Everybody's Golf.

Uncharted started off being surprisingly slow, and I wasn't sure what to expect ahead. Having played and beaten UC and UC2 on my ex-PS3 (sold it a year ago), i'm on Chapter 3 and amazed by the sheer weight of the game. Being able to play UC on the go feels down-right amazing, and I absolutely LOVE the fine-tuned tilt-based aiming system... it's exactly what the game needs since the analog sticks are far too sensitive for precise headshots.

I sucked at MvC3 when it initially launched for the PS3 and needless to say, I still do ;) I'm enjoying just trying to pull off combos in the Challenge mode for various characters as of now. Burnt almost an hour trying to pull off one of Wolverine's later challenges and almost got fed up before finally pulling it off.. heh. Looking forward to trying out the new characters which weren't in the original MvC3.

One of my bread-and-butter games on the PSP was Everybody's Golf, and i'm glad the core game is still the same all these years later. Got my first hole-in-one just half an hour into the game, and it felt fantastic. Can't wait to get deeper into the game and start unlocking a few characters.

Unfortunately Virtua Tennis 4 isn't in stock at stores around me - can't wait to get my hands on it. From what I hear, the graphics are phenomenal and the gameplay is equally fantastic.

Hats off to Sony for pulling it off... even despite their greed on the memory card and other issues, it's still amazing that I can now play PS3-quality games on the go.

For anyone who's on PSN, do put up your IDs! Mine is KiranB83 - feel free to add me.

11. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    #511 Madman100, Feb 26, 2012
    Need a little help here.. I'm hoping there are some who played the PSP enough to help me out.

I'm looking to get a great racing game in the price range of 15-25 bucks. I've looked through the PSP library and the titles that caught my attention were Motorstorm (I really liked the ps3 titles), Gran Turismo and DIRT (not a great rating on PSN and pricier than I'd hope). I'd be interested in Midnight Club DE if I hadn't already played the life out of it on console.

I prefer something that will look nice on the gorgeous OLED and offer content for my dollar. Any insight or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Btw, just wanna say, there are soooo many great titles in the PSP library, it is unbelievable. Already grabbed Disssidia Final Fantasy and GoW. Plan on grabbing GTA Vice City Stories soon and maybe Monster Hunter. I haven't touched a PSP in over 3yrs and was pleasantly surprised to see how much I've missed.

12. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Gran Turismo is a good racing game but it's just an arcade mode. There's no career mode. It gets boring after a while. Motorstorm is actually pretty good and I think better than DiRT.

What games do you got in your Vita? Add me up: iANiMeX.

13. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Friends list is full and I'm using a shared account with my brother, otherwise I'd add you all.

I appreciate the insight, though. Right now I'm definitely leaning toward Motorstorm.

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Sent most of you guys an invite to a party, seems like a good way to see who's online from TA and set up game matches.

15. matthewwhatever

matthewwhatever Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    government
    Ottawa, Canada
    Split/Second was pretty fun - I played it on a bunch of platforms, and the PSP version was definitely my favourite. The Midnight Club games were okay, but neither of them looked particularly nice.

On an unrelated note, I just played Lumines for the first time -- not just my first time playing on the Vita, but my first time playing the title ever. My brain feels like it's going to explode.

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #516 backtothis, Feb 26, 2012
    Truth. My second favorite RPG of all time is still Crisis Core on the PSP xP. Rogue Squadron is also my favorite installment into the SW Battlefront series. And yeah, the GoW games are freaking sick.

17. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Whats GoW i thought thats what Ppl called Gears of War lol, Xbox only

18. Spamcan

GoW for XBOX = Gears of War
    GoW for Playstation = God of War
    MW2 = Mechwarrior 2 no exceptions!

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol.

20. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #520 S.I.D. CrAzY, Feb 26, 2012
    If you have a PS3 to transfer from, since I don't see it on the Vita store, then Burnout Legends is by far my favorite, including the ones you mentioned. Though it's not as pretty as the ones you mentioned either I still feel it is worth picking up. Looks a big jaggy on the OLED though, but it's fun as hell.

What about Midnight Club LA REMIX, since you seemed to enjoy Dub Edition?

The PSP has a good library? Are you kidding? ITZ HAZ NO GAMEZ!! ;) /sarcasm

EDIT: Burnout Legends is only 9.99 and Midnight CLUB LAREMIX is 19.99.