Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Lost any interest whatsoever in iOS gaming (except for Mass Effect Infiltrator).

No idea why ;)

2. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Added everyone so far. If you haven't already then my ID is: Jovi4ever

3. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #563 KiddToKmart, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    Received and accepted - will wait for the Party invite :)

What are you guys using to keep/carry around/protect your Vita + Games? Since the Starter and Travel Kits still haven't officially arrived on shores where I live, it was a bit of a pain to find something that fit...

Was lucky to stumble upon a Samsonite bag, which is originally tagged as a "Cable Pouch". Has two compartments, along with a SD card holder... perfect for the Vita :)

[​IMG]

Very happy with the launch lineup... VT4's graphics and controls are fantastic, UC is amazing as expected, Everybody's Golf is addictive as hell, MvC3 is slowly growing on me and looking forward to tearing this baby apart in the next few mins... :D

[​IMG]

4. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Nice case for an unofficial one! :) you will love Rayman trust me :) im still hammering Fifa but gonna go on Marvel vs Capcom this afternoon

And im using the Crystal Case for Vita and games
    [​IMG]

but really want the 4gamers travel case which is sold out everywhere at the mo :(

[​IMG]

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Sadly I'm caseless for the moment but I am thinking about picking up the madcatz armoured case even if it just turns out to be a temporary measure. Supposedly the back comes off to let you play with the back touchpad when it is still in the case.

Also might pick up a screen protector although my PSP has survived this far without one and hasn't a blemish.

6. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I've got the PDP Crystal Case and it's really been great so far. I've heard that if you drop it and it hits the right spot that the case will pop open which is bad, but I normally just use it to carry my Vita in my work bag and it's perfect. Everything is perfectly fit so there is no wiggle from the Vita once inside the case.

I can't believe the Vita has been out for a week already (2 weeks for FEB owners). I absolutely ADORE this device already! The games have been absolutely spectacular and it's everything I could have wanted. I made the mistake of popping in Lumines at lunch time yesterday. After a bit, I realized an hour had flown by! So addictive...

I think I'm going to try to trade in some games for VT4. I loved the demo and the mini-games look great as well. I've got Unit 13 pre-ordered so next week is set as well.

I'll add all the new PSN id's later on today! :)

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Noticed that myself it must be re rendering the image for maximum detail it does give some really cool effects though here is my first attempt. It almost looks more like Artwork than a screenshot.

[​IMG]

8. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Need a little help here guys

Ok so I have the Vita still in the box with Uncharted and Ninja Gaiden sitting next to it all wrapped up on my table at home still. Thing is I have buyers remorse, dont know if I need it and all that jazz. My worry is yes those 2 games keep me occupied for a few weeks maybe but I will need more games and a bigger memory card, I dont want it to collect dust but everything cost alot to buy for it.

I love my ipad and iphone to game on also because games come out every week for it even though I like the deeper, richer type games. I am a Dad and a family man who works, do I return it all and say I dont need it or keep it and deal with feeling bad for spending alot of money on something I dont know will entertain me for long just because I have the means to buy it?

Anyone care to give me there opinion on this?

9. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Keep it!! Go home open it and enjoy all of its greatness-use your iphone as a phone and ipad for internet browsing,sure buy the occasional 69p game every Thursday but trust me once you start playing the Vita IOS games feel insignificant ;)

10. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011

I appreciate your input mash! I am leaning that way so far.... :confused:

11. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    To be honest, I had a similar dilemma after purchasing the Vita. After waiting weeks and with the Vita in-hand, I wasn't sure if it was the smartest purchase. I mean, I could spend that money and buy every 'good' game in the AppStore and then some. Needless to say, I didn't return it, nor did I even consider it even with doubts.

I also had an earful from my brother about buying one both the week leading up to it and the day I purchased it. He deemed it "not worth it, overpriced and 'not that great'." This is a true story, he's now setting money aside and looking for things to sell so he can get his own. My sister-in-law is also planning on getting one, she loves UMvC and Uncharted.

Also, I enjoyed the weekly releases on iOS for a long time, it was a big factor in me being active in supporting iOS gaming for so long. The games are cheap and in seemingly endless supply. However, I found myself playing most games for a single day, a few days at most, and never attached enough to truly appreciate the games I bought. This is completely different with the Vita. I find that every game I have gets truly appreciated, not just by me, but by everyone who has played it. Maybe it's the high entry cost that subconsciously keeps me interested, maybe it's the considerable quality in games like Uncharted, Wipeout and UMvC, or maybe it's the amazing screen and physical controls (both of which can't be overstated). Maybe it's all things considered, but like everyone else who owns this device, I find it to make for an incredible handheld experience far beyond the capabilities of iOS.

The only games I'm looking forward to on iOS are Mass Effect, Forgotten Memories and a few small games. Honestly though, I'm not sure if I'll be able to convert back to touchscreen controls for a 'console-like' game. I played Shadowgun today (which I was a huge fan if when it released) but I find it more of a chore to play than it is fun. The Vita has truly changed my perception of handheld gaming.

All that said, though, I wouldn't say it's a bad idea to keep it boxed and look into it some more to see if it's really something you want to keep. If you do decide to keep it though, be sure to look into some PSP games, I consider them a great bargain for how deep the experiences tend to be.

12. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I was in a similar situation as you - family, job, etc. Only difference is I traded a lot of older 3DS, DS, PS3 stuff in to get the Vita cost reduced and yet I still felt a little guilty. Not sure why though. I guess it comes down to (1) are you and your family struggling money wise? (2) Have you owned any other handhelds and did you play them? (3) are you tire of iOS games in general?

In the end, I love this thing and feel it's more than worth the price for me. I still have room for quick games on my iPod Touch when I feel like it, but the Vita is going to be my primary go to device. I was a little underwhelmed when I first got my hands on a demo unit, but after a week of ownership, those feelings are gone. I've had so many "oh Sh*t!" moments with Uncharted, been thoroughly addicted to Lumines and Hot Shots Golf, had fun customizing the look and feel of the Vita pages with new Wallpaper (I like doing that kind of stuff!), been enthralled with Near, Group Chat and some of the other social aspects. Honestly, I have loved the time with my Vita, but that's just me.

It would be best if you had a friend that would let you try theirs out to see all that it has. Demo unit's are one thing, but being able to play with it thoroughly might convince you.

I hope whatever decision you make is good for you and not one you'll regret. Just play a few chapters of Uncharted and see if it's worth it...

If you do crack that bad boy open, post your PSN!

13. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011

Madman that was a good read, thanks for your thoughts on it. To bad games like Aralon or Order and Chaos were on the Vita omg I would kill for that! So the PSP games I can download and play right on the Vita? So Final Fantasy Tactics is $9.99 on the PSN but $15 on IOS but they are the same thing pretty much right? Even Dungeon Hunters is alot more on the Vita that kind of sucks! I only have the 4gig card so that probably wont hold much :(

14. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011

Micro I appreciate it! Yes I had a PSP a while back and played it on my lunches at my old job, I played it a decent amount of time I would say. I am just hoping that I will want to play it and buy new games and enjoy it along with my ipad and iphone and consoles at home and all that. Buyers remorse is a #$%@^....

15. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    That is correct but based on impressions, I'd say the PSN version is far superior. Order and Chaos would be great but to be honest I think Aralon would be seen as a budget title when matched against what's in the PSP library (not to mention the Vita's). It's a really good game on iOS but it won't fair too well in the eyes of the consumer when Dissidia Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and Monster Hunter (<-just bought, I had no idea it was so much like Demon's Souls) enter the mix.

Same with Dungeon Hunter, it's really a budget title at full price, honestly. I do hope to get it when the price matches the PS3 version though.

Btw, it'd be extremely wise to invest in a larger memory card. Unless you got it free with the bundle I'd suggest returning the 4gb. It will become clear that it's largely useless once you realize how many great titles you'll want to download. However, for physical copies and game saves, it would be more than enough.

16. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011

So Madman does the PNS version of tactics use both of the Vita's analog sticks, I am guessing no? So whats some games on PSN that are like Aralon? I wish I could get Dungeon Hunter cheaper because I love loot games, oh btw the memory card came with the Vita. I know I need a bigger one but god they are expensive! My 2 games are physical copies so I should be ok for now huh?

17. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    You can map the second analog however you see fit. Here's an informative video regarding backward compatibility-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJfb4shQa0w

You can skip to about the 4:00 mark to see how analog mapping works.

About the memory price, yes they're quite expensive. But I see you have an iPad 2. Assuming you have the 32gb model, you likely paid upwards of 100$ for an extra 16gb of memory. When you see it that way, the memory for the Vita is really reasonably priced and at least has the option of adding more if you need it later down the line. But yes, seeing as you got the 4gb free, it should hold well for the games you have and a decent amount of demos.

18. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Sweet thanks man I appreciate all the help!

19. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    No problem. I hope you are comfortable with whatever you decide to do.

Btw, I don't think there are many open-world RPGs available.