Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The PS3 also has a larger fanbase in Europe, it's the US that's the odd one out. Obsession with violence, perhaps? Something like that.

...oh, and the term "Whoo hoo! Xbawwkx Ruelzz!" sounds better to American kids.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Really good points. Looks like we'll have to wait a little over a month, and see then. Sony is actually really popular in Japan too though. Its products sell extremely well there. The PS3 was the second most-sold hardware in Japan in the past few weeks, followed by the PSP (original) in third, both behind the 3DS of course.
    Lmfao.

3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    I won't be buying the vita, mostly because if I want to play console games, I want to play them on a tv. The games may change my mind though.

I really do hope the Vita does well (enough) though. Competition is always good.

4. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Alot more games confirmed at launch now-what are you gonna get?
    Sadly Modnation Racers wont have wi fi multiplayer IGN reports
    Think ill get Uncharted (everyone is) and Rayman Origins as i love the console version and a portable one will be awesome :)
    Just over a month to go :(

5. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    This is one of the main problems for me as well. On the one hand, the idea of having a portable PS2 (I'll play safe and compare it to that, rather than PS3) in my hands has long been a dream of mine. PSP claimed to do just that, but the majority of games still didn't have the quality or depth of console games, there's always been a big step from one to the other. Vita is closing the gap quite well from what I've seen of it, but I don't just want the exact same games I can play on PS3, Rayman being an excellent example.

That said, if it manages to match the quality, but also provide something different, preferably with a bunch of exclusive titles and a few new IPs... I'll be all over it. I don't mind buying multiple consoles to maximise my game purchase possibilities, but I can't justify buying the same thing twice.

6. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Owned the original DS and PSP and after owning an iPhone, there's not point for me anymore.

1) The games are way to expensive, $40 for a mobile game. I have a Xbox 360 and PS3 and games costs $60.

2) I don't really find playing games on mobile gaming devices appealing anymore and I don't really go on long trips that often.

3) My iPhone 4/iPad can do much more.

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I posted this on another forums, sooo copy+paste:

Just pre-ordered a bunch of Vita and Vita related items on Amazon, not all of it will be out on launch, but I did snag the games I saw available for pre-order that I actually want....

Playstation Vita First Edition Bundle
    wipEout 2048
    Reality Fighters
    LittleBigPlanet
    Army Corps of Hell
    Gravity Rush
    32GB Vita Memory Card

Total Cost: 639.93

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Surely the entire point in closing the gap in quality is to nullify point #1. Charging the same won't matter in the slightest, since they won't be "mobile" games anymore, they'll just be "games" along with their console counterparts. It's the main reason the Vita is so exciting. I think the best example of this so far, although not super popular in the US, is FIFA 12. They've ported the entire game onto Vita and it looks fantastic, nothing is missing whatsoever. Unfortunately it falls under the trappings of my post above, so I have no reason to buy it, but proof that it can be done is very welcome indeed.

Anyway, fix #1 and 2 and 3 are also ammended somewhat. They'll be more appealing if they're complete, deep experiences and your iPhone 4 iPad won't be a scratch on it in terms of game quality.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    For me the Vita is way too expensive. I hope it flops, not because I want to see it fail, but because then hopefully they'll be forced into a similar price drop like the 3DS had. Then I could see getting one. As it stands I'm sure it will get some early adopters, but I really can't see it sustaining sales at its price point.

10. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    For casual gamers, the Vita is too expensive. The thing about smartphone gaming is that it has distorted everything, simply because these devices are in the hands of so many people who arent even gamers at all. And now people's expectations are being unreasonably skewed by the success of Angry Birds. The vast preponderance of people who have purchased Angry Birds don't even like video games. It's a complete anomaly. iOS gaming is perfect for people who have a casual at best interest in gaming, because it allows you to dabble in gaming with no investment.

But for dedicated gamers, mobile gaming is now taking a bath. There are little to no premium games on the horizon. The Freemium model has taken over. EA and Gameloft are clearly out of the Premium gaming business. Nearly every game installed on my devices are from EA or Gameloft. Probably around 80%.

If the Vita fails, then seriously gamers who are attracted to the convenience of being able to play console-quality games on portable devices (and it really is more convenient, console gaming can feel restrictive and cumbersome and I like the freedom provided by handhelds) are going to be pretty much screwed.

Personally, I own a high-end gaming laptop, but if you think the Vita is too expensive, a gaming laptop is certainly beyond the means of most people.

11. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Wow really well said! Totally agree with your points, I class myself as a dedicated gamer/sure the price is high but I can't see it dropping in price like the 3DS mainly because the Nintendo launch lineup was pretty basic and the many months since its launch has seen only a few 'big' games eg Mario Kart, Mario, Zelda. Whereas the Vita has-Uncharted, Fifa, Resistance, Rayman, to name a few all ready for launch. Plus many confirmed to be released this year, Little Big Planet and Bioshock (hopefully this year ;)). These games will be reasons people will buy on launch and not hold off I'm sure of it.

Another really good feature is you can plug it into your Ps3 and play your Ps3 games using the Vita!! So while someone's watching the TV I can sit and play Killzone 3 on the Vita :)

12. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    After watching various videos of uncharted, little big planet and other stuff running on Vita I got one pre ordered straight away, the thing just looks so damn cool! I am a bit of a tech whore though in all fairness and always buy stuff on launch.

I don't think the price point of £230 is too expensive, it looks a huge jump above any handheld I've ever used or owned, I still remember queuing at midnight in my local gamestation and handing over £180 for the original PSP and that was 7 years ago!

I own every major console (ps3, 360, wii) plus I own an iPad 2, an iPhone 4S and a 3DS and am still looking forward to the Vita a great deal, it looks incredible, I for one can't wait and come launch day will be playing remakes of PS3 stuff and loving every minute of it.

13. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Way to put across an argument.

14. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    I preordered the first edition bundle, although none of the release window titles excite me. A lot of rehash titles that launch with virtually every gaming system, namely Ridge Racer and Dynasty Warriors. No way in hell I'm falling for that again. Two Gameloft titles, but I don't trust them. Never played Uncharted, but some combination of TPS, stealth, and platforming does not appeal to me. We'll see. Unit 13 intrigues, as does Silent Hill. I might give Motostorm another go. I'm a huge racing fan, but this franchise has never really won me over. I wish more of Sony's heavyweights had made the launch window, but I'm much more into Sony first-person then Nintendo first-person. Give it a year, like with the 3DS, and I think it'll be good.

Perhaps Sony and Microsoft and everyone else should just give up and allow social/Freemium gaming to take over everything? The day that happens, I'll find myself a new hobby, thank you very much.

15. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    #55 gwet17, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
    Meh, I dunno if I'll be getting one. I just got my PS3, so I've got no shortage of games to go through. I don't really want or need a handheld outside of my trusty Touch.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Sounds a bit like "c593893 just needs to give it up" until he can think of something constructive to say.

17. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    That's fine. To each their own. Your all-time favorite lists suggests that you're not the type of mobile/handheld gamer that Sony is pursuing. Nobody has to crave big-budget handheld titles. Different people like different stuff. There aren't going to be many high-end Premium games released on the touch from this point forward. Admittedly, there are likely plenty of people who don't much care. Small budget indie stuff is likely to dominate the paid app universe from now on. Personally, however, I'm not into that scene at all.

18. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Like I said I'm not looking for that experience anymore, if I really wanted to play Call of Duty or FIFA, I would just buy the console version.

Plus the games are more like ports. Read ModNation Racers won't support multiplayer and some other games missing out on features. After owning a PSP, I found that playing hardcore games just cause you like to play games outside is kinda weird.

I think when the iPhone 5 comes out assuming current rumors are true (quad core A6 chip, 4 inch screen, etc...) gaming will just work on the iPhone.

My iPhone 4 already has better graphics than my Xbox/PS3 games. Not to put this out of context but MW3 has worse graphics on my Xbox than my iPhone 4.

19. HairyPotter

HairyPotter Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    #59 HairyPotter, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
    That is such a blatant lie, you should be banned for this! Xbox and PS3 have much more complicated shader effects and more objects which can be moved and or react to the physic engine. Did you notice that none shooter for iPhone 4 or 4S / iPad 2 has a higher enemy number than the typical console shooter, they have far less! Etc.

I mean, just look on the shader and light effects of an PS3 game for example, and then on the best of iOS, Infinity Blade 2 or Shadowgun. They are clearly much inferior even to a console game from 2008.

And look on the physic engine of racing games for example, MotorStorm 1-3, Forza, Gran Turismo. On iOS there will be never such sophisticated with high nuances in perception, physic engines.

How can you lie so bad, it is unbelievable..

Unreal 3 engine alone means NOTHING if you want to compare iOS state of the art devices/games and consoles. The important ingredients are, if device family is superior in complicated shader effects/lightning on top of "ground" graphic engine, and physic engine is sophisticated enough. And in that advanced points consoles still blast the latest iOS devices out of the water, and still will be in 2 years.

And don't get me started on real time shadows on more than the main players car or avatar, actuall iOS games fail massively in that point.

20. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Have to agree with the above post and even if it gets to the stage where IOS/Android devices are more powerful than the Vita I very much doubt they will ever reach the same quality gamewise.

All you need to do it look at the original PSP to see this, not doubt the IOS devices now are more powerful but the games still don't compare.