Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    The technology and unique features that the Vita is showing off, particularly in these demo vids are really cool, I just don't really see them being all that fun as of this moment. Meaning, the launch games they have going, aren't that impressive as a whole. I'll try some of them though, especially Uncharted, ModNation (the touch screen and back touch pad gestures for track building seems really freaking awesome), and the puzzler games. It'll be cool to see how far they take this thing and what new games and innovations they will create.

2. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    According to GameStop it should release March 31

www.gamestop.com/ps-vita

@Booch138 I agree, as cool as the technology is, it's not the type of thing I would play daily (speaking of the soccer table). But the augmented reality itself is mighty impressive, it's hard to not get excited over the possibilities.

3. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yeah I read that after I posted, Amazon are listing it as being launched June 26th though :( I just wish we had a firm date.

4. matthewwhatever

matthewwhatever Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    government
    Ottawa, Canada
    I got to try a demo of the Vita in Toronto last weekend. I was blown away. The graphics are miles beyond the PSP (not quite PS3 quality...maybe PS2.5?), the touchscreen was impressively responsive, the size wasn't an issue, and, of course, two thumbsticks!

That's a Saturday, so I wouldn't hold fast to that date. They were probably initially told first quarter of 2012, and when they don't have anything more firm than that they always put the last day of the quarter.

This is related to why I'm most excited about the Vita: the sports games. I love playing career modes, and there's a good possibility that the big franchises -- Madden, FIFA, NHL, etc. -- will have the ability to transfer your save files from the PS3 to the Vita, and vice versa. Sony has already said that you'll be able to do this with MLB 12, and that, for me, may just be the biggest selling point of the new system. I've put a ridiculous number of hours into Road To The Show on MLB 10 on my PSP during my daily commute...if I can suddenly move all that back and forth, that will make having a long career (and it's tough having a long video game baseball career, especially if you want to play all 162 games+ per season) a lot easier. It wouldn't surprise me if other franchises follow suit.

5. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Mortal Kombat sounds amazing-no release date yet but it will include all console game features plus all the DLC thats come out - for free :) and 150 new challenges exclusive to Vita- forget Marvel vs Capcom
    This is the Beat em up to get :)

6. Bdzer

Bdzer Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    How well do you guys think that this hand held will do? Now that mobile phone gaming is raising so fast.

I loved the PSP when it first came out years ago, I played it so much but now having and iPhone and knowing and seeing what it is easily capable of, it's not the same when I pick up a handheld like the Gameboy, DS, or PSP.

7. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    While mobile gaming is still growing fast, it still hasn't even reached the peak of what Mobile gaming is really all about imo. There is Console Gaming, Then Handheld Mobile Gaming, then there Smart Phone Mobile Gaming, and while iOS is in my opinion the superior of the Smart Phone Molbile Gaming machine, it's still not even up to par with titles even found on PSP and even the DS. Graphics-wise, it has met, if not exceeded those past handhelds. But content-wise, is still a little ways off. There are several games close to it, but the actual games for handhelds like the PSP like MGS: Peacewalker, the God of Wars, the Resistances, ModNation, etc. You get the idea. And while some of these games from the PSP and DS have been ported over to iOS, and make great additions to the Smartphone Mobile Gaming market, it's still not quite there yet.

And now systems like the 3DS, and ESPECIALLY the Vita, they raised that bar for Handheld Mobile Gaming even further. The technology, specifically with the Vita, is just flat out impressive. No doubt about it at all. I can't predict that this system well do as well as they hope it will, but I can almost guarantee you with this system, were going to see some f*cking insanely fun shit.

8. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    #88 Madman100, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    :eek:

Well, personally, I don't plan on upgrading my iPod past the 4th gen because I'll have a Vita. $400 is too much, IMO, for a few extra specs. I know the prices on the Vita are steep as well but they make more sense to me (for gaming) because, I know I've said this earlier, I'm a firm believer that quality beats quantity, at least in my book/wallet.

I don't want to come off as a hater of sorts because I'm for one side here but it doesn't make sense to me to upgrade year after year to play the latest game when the Vita's span will likely last quadruple that of any idevece or smartphone and STILL have higher quality gaming.

For iPhone users I can understand because it is their phone and the iTunes store simply gets more love as opposed to the Android marketplace. But in my case, the yearly upgrades nearly renders my device expendable if 2 years from now the quality games won't support 4th gens, which may or may not be unlikely.

I've also plead the case that phone gaming will NEVER, no matter how expensive or powerful the device itself, reach the standard of dedicated gaming handhelds simply because of the market. Over saturation of 1-2$ apps (not to mention freemium dominating the market) won't allow for any large publishers to venture the market asking fair prices. Of course we see more attempts as time passes but IMO, they fall flat on their faces and get laughed at for asking more than the price of a decent meal. Of course there are those that support quality games here but the majority simply does not. It is proven beyond a doubt that the app market caters to the cheapest quick to play games while Vita is aiming for the opposite.

In my eyes it comes down to quality vs quantity.

That said, I will still have my iPod and look forward to some cheap easily accessible games on it. I might even decide to finally download Doodle Jump and Angry Birds. I think I'll still be here supporting up and coming games but I don't see myself spending too much in the AppStore anymore.

Anyways, I've made my speech long enough. :eek:

To answer the question simply: I think it will do well enough. In comparison to iDevices, the quality is simply astounding and gamers like me who prefer that will more than gladly support it especially without the need to upgrade every year for the most up to date games. The Vita's launch lineup is amazing IMO and the upcoming games are even better.

NOTE TO TROLLS: Please refrain from accusing me of being a ranting fanboy. I've owned tons of competitors products and don't hate on any one of them.

EDIT: I just found out Soul Caliber ($12) is doing rather well for now. This could be a good sign.

9. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    According to EB Games it should be releasing 23/2, unless that isn't confirmed. But they are putting banners everywhere saying "LAUNCHES 23rd OF FEBRUARY".

10. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Banners where? Is there a link?! :eek:

11. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I don't like the launch window titles. They feel, as usual, like retreads. I've never really fallen for a first-party Sony game, although they are better then first-party Nintendo games. I would've purchased Resistance, had it made the release, even though I never felt it was a franchise any better then average. Same can be said for Motostorm.

I suppose I'll end up with Uncharted, which I've never played. Then Little Deviants, which comes with the bundle. And probably Wipeout.

Unit 13 remains in the launch window and it seems intriguing, but feels perhaps a little too "the Club"-ish for me. Perhaps I've gotten the wrong impression though.

I can't stand fighting games. I hate that one of the biggest launch titles for both the Vita and the 3DS are fighting games.

I would be all over F1 2011, if not for the fact I already own the 3DS version.

12. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I meant the banners are hanging of the roof and on the floor. They're every where. Here's the link. http://www.ebgames.com.au/vita

13. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    The success of Soul Caliber is nothing more then an indication of the fact that there is a market for ports within the AppStore. This, however, has long since been established. The only viable and economically sustainable option for major developers to maintain a non-Freemium presence within the AppStore is through the use of ports. Look no further then Square-Enix and Rockstar.

14. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    I found a more or less complete (unedited) list of Vita launch / launch window titles.

---

Sony Launch Day Titles:

UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
    Escape Plan (PSN Only)
    Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
    Hustle Kings (PSN Only)
    Little Deviants
    ModNation Racers: Road Trip
    Super StarDust Delta (PSN only)
    wipEout 2048

Third Party Publisher Launch Day Titles:

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - Capcom Entertainment, Inc.
    Plants vs. Zombies (PSN Only) - Sony Online Entertainment LLC
    Blazblue: Continuum Shift EXTEND - Aksys Games Localization, Inc.
    Rayman Origins Ubisoft, Inc.
    Asphalt Injection - Ubisoft, Inc.
    Lumines Electronic Symphony - Ubisoft, Inc.
    Michael Jackson The Experience - Ubisoft, Inc.
    Dungeon Hunter Alliance - Ubisoft, Inc.
    BEN10 GALACTIC RACING - D3 Publisher of America
    Dynasty Warriors Next - Tecmo Koei America Corporation
    F1 2011 Codemasters
    EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer - Electronic Arts, Inc.
    Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen - Namco Bandai Games America Inc.
    Tales of Space: Mutant Blobs (PSN Only) - Drinkbox Studios
    Touch My Katamari - Namco Bandai Games America Inc.
    Army Corps of Hell - Square Enix, Inc.
    Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition - Sega of America

Sony Launch Window Titles:

Gravity Rush
    MLB 12 The Show
    Reality Fighters
    Unit 13

Third Party Publisher Launch Window Titles:

NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA PLUS - Tecmo Koei America Corporation
    Ridge Racer - Namco Bandai Games America Inc.
    Silent Hill Book of Memories - Konami Digital Ent. America, Inc.
    LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 - Warner Bros. Interactive Ent. Inc.
    Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention - NIS America, Inc.
    Supremacy MMA: Unrestricted - 505 Games

---

I wanted to keep the list unedited but Resistance: Burning Skies is also said to be a "launch window" title according to an interview with a representative at CES 2012.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's also an indication that people will buy shitty ports just because the original games give them fond memories. Soul Calibur on iOS is not good.

16. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Haha. Well I'm not too disappointed that I skipped it then. I was looking forward to it until I finally preordered the Vita and even then was still tempted. Not so much anymore..

17. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    someone give this guy a medal

18. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    -
    WARNING: Before watching, be sure to have a damp cloth at your disposal, you may need it..

19. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

This is exactly my sentiment and why I'm pretty much stopping with my iPod Touch/iPad purchases. I have been a long time supporter of iOS and have watch the quality of games released for the device increase over time. It's interesting to go back through your purchases and see the games that have come out and the progression that has taken place for such a young device.

Given that though, I'm at the point of being frustrated with yearly iterations and it seems that with my iPod Touch, the games and even OS are starting to exceed what the device is capable of handling.

At this point, I just want a device that doesn't crash with every new game that pushes some boundaries (IBII or pretty much an UE3 game as of late) or is overshadowed with a newer version with a new processor or more memory. The beauty of Apple devices is that things "just work", but that doesn't seem to be the case as of late. An upgraded iPod Touch was not introduced and it somewhat shows.

20. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Yeah its remote play there's videos of battlefield and batman ac too