Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I own a 3DS and love the crud out of it. I own a PSVita and love the crud out of it. I own an iPad 2 and used to love the crud out of it.

I was in an iOS bubble, it became my most used platform, supplanting my 360 for time.

I got so frustrated with iOS gaming, over time, for the same reasons you've listed. In turn, I purchased a 3DS and haven't looked back.

When Vita finally arrived, I've been exploring the ins and out of the platform. I really like the console and it compliments 3DS well. iOS games, I don't even look forward to them anymore. They seem like "imitation" games, after I made the shift. My iPad 2 is now really used for YouTube and Internet browsing....

Make the move over to Vita, if it interests you. For your reasons there is merit behind your logic and it would serve you well.

2. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #1022 dumaz1000, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
    I still purchase every premium game that releases on the AppStore, because I am an Avid video game collector. I collect games more so then play them. I even bought Chaos Rings 2 for 19.99, even though I have, at best, lukewarm feelings for old-school, turn-based JRPGs. I don't really love that genre anymore, and I still bought the game. And Mass Effect Infiltrator, bought that too. I still support the scene.

But I hate that the scene has become exactly what I had predicted like 3 years ago it would become. A damn shame. Wasted potential. Oh, well. There are legitimate alternatives now. And that's the thing. 2 years ago, if you loved portable gaming, there was no competition. You were married to iOS gaming, almost by default. But times have changed. There is great potential in the Vita. It's a sad commentary on what the gaming industry has become if the Vita does not succeed.

I tried to stop iOS gamers from treating the AppStore like a discount thrift store. I warned them that there would be consequences for demanding that all premium-quality games sell for 0.99c. It's water under the bridge now. The inevitability of what smartphone gaming has become could not be avoided.

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I feel like iOS games are more worth your money, but Vita games are more worth your time.

The thing is, what's the point in playing a game that has alot of content for it's price when it just isn't that much fun. Freemium and IAP have just made iOS games more worth the money (by being free or verry cheap), but less worth playing, so in the end there are just less games that are actually fun, immersive, good looking...

This year has been pretty bad when it comes to iOS games IMO, the only 2 games I can think of that I played alot were ghost trick and Reckless Racing 2.

4. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    Like others have said, your reasons for being a bit jaded with iOS aren't uncommon, and are part of why I looked at getting a Vita (that and I felt like I needed some retail therapy ;)). The positive views on the system from the other 'hardcore' iOS fans on this site also helped. None of that "U need buttons 4 real games, lol. Vita has buttons: it wins!" nonsense that you tend to find elsewhere, as virtual controls have never been a problem for me. It was actually the Gravity Rush demo in store that pushed me over the line into getting one, so go and ask to try one out in store. I only own Uncharted but it's fun enough and a good length, although I'm counting the days till Rayman Origins arrives in the mail. Which brings me to perhaps my biggest gripe with the Vita: the price of games. Uncharted cost me $60 AU, marked down form $70. Even on the digital store it is still $62. Thus for me gaming on the Vita is going to be more like console gaming: order from overseas whenever possible to save on $$ and only buy games that I really want.

On the other hand, I still love iOS (I'm still checking here daily after all), and iOS is definitely superior in the looks department, both for the devices and the OS. Basically now that I have two portable systems instead of just one, I can buy the few games that I really want for both of them and be happy. :)

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I don't really care to much about the Vita game prices I expect they will improve in time like the PSP did but I will be reading plenty of reviews before purchasing games and probably looking at replayability more in my purchases. My biggest gripe with the Vita is still Sony not giving the UK 32gb cards it annoyed me before but it's doing it doubly so now "Game" is in trouble and may close down.

Game is really the only store near me that carries a good selection of titles, so if that's gone and I've no 32gb card or larger I'm in trouble.

6. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    I hear it's more likely We'll see a buyout rather than Game close its doors for good. If not, you might have to just purchase more online, though i'd expect we'll see a 32gb card soon enough. I'm more annoyed at card prices and Sony's insistance of using their own propriety cards as opposed to SD. Scamming gits..

Oh well, i love the Vita all the same :)

7. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Wow guys, thanks for all of the replies. It's nice to see others were in the same situation I am. I've been looking into the vita even more, and thought that the price isn't bad at all for what you get. But then I read about the memory cards, and many were complaining about the price of them. Just wondering, how many memory cards do you guys have for your vitas, and how much memory on each?

8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Yea, the memory cards are quite expensive. Personally, I only have one and will only have one unless I opt for a bigger one down the road. Right now, I have a 16gb card ($59.99) and I'll probably stick with this unless I need or if there is a sale of some sort that'll drop the price of the 32gb ($99.99).

9. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I'm still using the 8 GB card I got for free because I preordered. If you don't only buy your games via the PSN store thingy an 8 or 16 GB card should be fine. If you do, you can redownload games for free anyway or back them up to your PS3 or computer.

10. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

I have an 8gb which is perfect for me- i own a few psn games but buy the main vita games not digitally

11. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    8gb seems to be working out well, I don't own many Vita games though, mostly PSP games. I also picked up a 4gb one by mistake, it came with the vita pouch I bought for around 30 bucks in a bundle with.

12. The free 8 GB card that came with the 3G model is more than enough for me. If you already own an iPod for music and do not plan on downloading many games digitally, I would say that even 4 GB is enough. The save files of most physical games take up only around 2-4 MB with a few exceptions such as Disgaea 3 (100+ MB) and Uncharted (64 MB).

13. mashead2000

Ok guys- what game are you planning on getting next and whens it out?

I may get Silent Hill cos its out next week?

Also may be putting Marvel vs Capcom on ebay later... If your from the UK and wanna get it cheaper than the shops... Doesnt require an online pass which is great

14. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I may get Supremacy MMA, depending on the reviews. I did check the reviews for the XBOX360/PS3 versions of the game and they weren't that great, so I don't have high hopes for it :p

After that.. I'll probably get Gravity Rush and then LBP.

15. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    All of the games I'm keen for are quite some way off: the Resistance title, the MGS collection, and Gravity Rush, not to mention the more hazily defined Bioshock title and the next Lego game.

So I'm going to take it as it comes, wait for Rayman to arrive in the mail, finish Uncharted and then try some of the PSP games to tide me over. I would be soooo happy if an open world western RPG is announced for the Vita though.

16. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Canabalt is available is EU countries right now and US next week. Figured I'd post it but I'm guessing most of you won't get it because you already own it on iPhone/iPod/iPad

17. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    MGS Collection is what I'm after. Sadly, this has just turned into a better "PSP" for me. Picked up Metal Slug Anthology, and soon both God of War.

Is Unit 13 worth it? I was hoping for online Multi but I guess its just coop?

18. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Supremacy is the only game that comes out this month. Only one game comes out in April. Disgaea 3. Silent Hill Book of Memories doesn't seem to have an official release date anymore. It won't be out in March.

19. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Appearently mortal kombat is coming in april. Some places say april 19th some say may 2 weird

20. mashead2000

It got trophies?? Lol