Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #101 dumaz1000, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    Hey, I don't buy those ports. I don't even like fighting games. GTA 3 and Bard's Tale are the only ports I've purchased. It's laughable how Square-Enix treats iOS "development." They must think that we are all a bunch of fools.

By the way, don't buy PS-Vita Ridge Racer. It's a scam. The game costs $29.99 and ships with 5 cars and 3 tracks and no career mode. It's primarily an online game, but the rest of the game is sold as DLC and it costs a total of $33. The entire game costs $63. And, like I said, there's no career mode anyway.

And the only thing the Vita need to be successful in Japan is Monster Hunter. Sad as it is, everyone knows its true.

2. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    It's a shame that this is only available on hacked PS3's at the moment :(

I know Sony has announced (and also demoed) PS3 remote play but at the moment, as it stands no one has been able to get this working officially so to speak (as far as I'm aware for PS3 titles anyway), I'll be sure to stick my copy of killzone 3 in and give it a go come the 22nd of next month though and give it a try for myself!

3. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I know. Fortunate enough, all it takes is some extensive testing and a firmware update to get this feature up and running worldwide. It's so enticing, the thought of playing something like Skyrim or Dark Souls while on the john, during a backyard BBQ enjoying fresh air, or in bed with your headphones on as to not disturb your partner at night....

The possibilities seem endless. But I doubt remote play would work via wifi connection to your PS3, meaning you'd have to be within a reasonable distance to hold the connection through private network. Still, what an awesome feature. I can only hope they get it working by the time I get my hands on one.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    What about problems such as text size? I assume the only games that'd be an issue with are the ones that have issues with non-HD televisions anyway, which isn't many these days.

5. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yes I suppose that could be a problem in text heavy games but I think most of us here would struggle on regardless just for the hell of it, and I really hope the wifi connection works as that would be amazing! as it stands though I've not seen evidence of it working :(

6. Disappointed that Mega Man isn't in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3? Don't worry, Capcom made sure to include him in Street Fighter x Tekken.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Interesting.. Apparently Pacman is also in the roster which is equally interesting.

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Been looking at the reviews for Vita games and they all seem to be pretty good games and get decent scores with the sole exception of Dungeon Hunter: Alliance looks like that is the one to avoid.

9. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    #109 Madman100, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    Well that site also awarded Ridge Racer a 2/10 for its price structure..

"Yet, for as well as Ridge Racer holds its own as a racing video game, it’s poorly structured as a consumer product."
    --

Although I think the writer is ridiculous in his criteria for scoring, I completely agree with the user comments in the DH review. I'll be quick to jump on it once it matches the same price as the PS3 version.

10. Since DH:A is also getting a $40 physical release, I doubt the price will drop by that much any time soon.

Amazon has a nice new Vita 3G bundle for $300 with an 8GB memory card, a free month (250 MB) of data, and a free PSN game valued at $55 extra total. The catch is that you have to buy 1 month of 3G beforehand if you want to redeem the free month of 3G and to claim the free game. I canceled my Wifi preorder for that instead.

11. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    I must say, that is a very cool bundle, although I'll be sticking with my original preorder nonetheless since I don't plan on activating 3G on the Vita. The Android works just fine for me as a wireless access point.

Another cool point to note is that for those who had a wifi/3G Vita preordered on Amazon, they were automatically upgraded to the LE Bundle. I'm sure local retailers offer the same luxury.

Very envious of wifi/3G buyers at the moment because there are currently no signs of a wifi only bundle hitting the States.

12. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I ended up cancelling a lot of things in my Amazon Vita order.

This was my original order:
    Playstation Vita First Edition Bundle
    wipEout 2048
    Reality Fighters
    LittleBigPlanet
    Army Corps of Hell
    Gravity Rush
    32GB Vita Memory Card

New order:
    Playstation Vita 3G Bundle
    32GB Vita memory card
    I haven't pre-ordered any games as I think I will wait to play some demos before buying anything. I was buying things blindly, including games that are part of series I've never liked. I will also probably pick up some PSN only games(Escape Plan, Plants VS Zombies)....

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Buying a console without knowing you want any of the games sounds like a bold move... of course, when I say bold... :p

14. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    I just demoed Gravity Rush and Uncharted. There was no sound though, which makes Uncharted difficult, because the guy seems to be giving tutorial-type information of whatever by talking to himself, and there was no subtext either. Although perhaps not the smoothest anti-aliasing. The analog sticks felt a little loose. Like over-sensitive. I suspect you'll unjust to it over time. And there might be caliberation options available anyway. Games are certainly running silky-smooth fast. I saw some loads, but wouldn't deem any wait times as horrible. Very interesting concept and mechanics behind Gravity Rush. Tilt controls felt tight (in a good way; more fluid then the analog sticks). Gravity Rush is innovative and the cell-shading is nice. We'll see. It's an artistic, but also risky.

The screen is nice and it doesnt feel too bulky or heavy in your hands though. Kinda wide design in a sense that it probably isn't pocket friendly. Technically, it could still probably fit.

It felt strange using the touch controls at first. A new era of gaming, I suppose. They worked well though, don't get me wrong. I was most impressed with tilt integration and functionality though, I must say. Got a look at the rear touchpad; also a peculiar innovation, but did not try it.

I'll return later for demos on Modracers, Wipeout, and Little Deviants.

I'm one of those people who is buying the system without desiring any of the games. It was the same with the 3DS. Launch titles and I just don't mix. That won't stop from buying a few nontheless. That's just how I roll, I suppose.

15. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    A demo station was just installed at my GameStop, by the way. I think it happened this morning. 5 or 6 demos included. Wanted to separate this post.

16. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Yeah, the GAME stores over here in the UK have started getting demo units installed. I don't intend on picking one up at launch but I'll still call into my local GAME store when I'm next in town to try one out.

17. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    I feel the same way. I'll definitely be getting Super Stardust Delta and Escape Plan. But I'm gonna play some demos before grabbing a retail game. For now Uncharted sits at the top of my list along with UMvC3.

18. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    lol, well I know I want games for the Vita, I just don't know which ones.....if that makes any sense... :p

19. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    #119 dumaz1000, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
    Wipeout, very pretty and very fast. Long loads.

Mod Nation Racer not so pretty or fast. I suppose it's still a pretty game. Just more understated. Less sparkly or shinny or whatever. Tracks are more subdued. Load time noticeable, but less than Wipeout.

Launch games feel too often like one trick ponies. Too simplified. Will feel repetitive too soon. That describes most launch titles on most systems. There are very few console systems that I have not bought either launch day or very close to it.

I think there's more to Gravity Rush and Uncharted.

But some of these games will probably feel entirely played in like an hour. Then you're just rinse and repeating the same experience you got from the first hour for however many hours you continue to play after that.

To be fair, Wipeout is a huge online game. Career, progression unlocks, ps3 cross play, etc (from what I've heard)

I don't like traditional kart racers, so I can't be unbiased about Mod Nation Racer.

I wish I could have tried tilt controls on Wipeout. I hope they have that option. I was struggling with analog stick control. Slamming into walls on both games.

The left analog stick feels much tighter then the right and both racing games used only the left. I'm sure a little practice is all that's needed. I loved the feel of how the Vita handles tilt, from my experience with Gravity Rush, so I still want it in this game.

20. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    #120 dumaz1000, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
    The Vitw can offer a new way to play and experience console quality games. Like combining the best of Apple or Nitendo with the best of Sony or Microsoft. Dual sticks, front and rear touch controls, tilt functionality, console-quality graphics; all in one package. It's only as good as the games. The hardware is only as good as the software. But there is potential for some serious outside the box hybrid gaming here. It's the appeal of combining all of the strengths of all of these systems into one massive package. Integrated online support, digital media, cross platform play/functionality, remote gaming, AAA titles, multitasking. You cannot do all of these things with an Xbox, my friends. This is a potential that may or may not be reached.
    I feel in some ways that hardcore gaming dies if this dies. We could all be plunged into a world of Freemium gaming.