Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    #1741 tygamr, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
    What videos have you been watching? Resistance: Burning Skies has better lighting effects and plenty of particle effects. The best looking parts of NOVA 3 are the very beginning of the intro, the character models, and the particles effects. Some of the shadows look really baked even though it's supposed to have dynamic lighting, and the fire and smoke effects are bad- they're just giant 2D particles/sprites. A lot of the scenery also doesn't look nearly as good as the characters do.

As for touch controls vs. physical controls, they both have their pros and cons. With touch controls, I find that I often don't like them (mainly in Gameloft games) because they have a kind of laggy, less than smooth feel. You also have to lift your fingers a lot when you have to turn more than like 90 degrees. This can be fixed by making games that are optimized well/smoothing out user input and increasing the sensitivity. With physical controls, I often find that the controls sometimes feel stiff, or I over pass enemies I'm trying to shoot. This can be fixed either with artificial aiming acceleration, or allowing the reticle to move as fast as the analogue stick moves. IMO, the best controller I've ever used for shooters is the Xbox controller- prefer that to keyboard and mouse most of the time.

2. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Lol at the crap that is Nova 3 to anything on the Vita. That is pathetic tbh

3. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
  4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Pretty cool videos of Resistance hadn't seen either of them until now, I'm a bit more excited about the game after watching them. My only worry with this game is I want the campaign to be a good size but definitely I'll be buying it anyway.

Looking forward to E3 as well hopefully there will be some good Vita stuff shown.

5. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Just curious to what everyone has bought or is playing right now. My List:

Currently Playing: Dynasty Warriors, MK, Lego Harry Potter Years 5 - 7

Retail Games:
    Uncharted: GA
    Dungeon Hunter Alliance
    UMVC3
    Mortal Kombat
    Rayman Origins
    Dynasty Warriors Next
    WipeOut 2048
    Ridge Racer
    Unit 13
    Lego Harry Potter 5-7
    Touch My Katamari
    Lumines
    Virtua Tennis 4
    MLB 12: The Show
    Modnation Racers
    Reality Fighters
    Asphalt: Injection
    HSG: World Invitational

PSN:
    Super StarDust delta
    Mutant Blobs Attack
    Escape Plan
    Motorstorm RC
    Treasures of Montezuma Blitz
    Pinball Arcade
    Hustle Kings
    Sumioni: Demon Arts
    Plants Vs Zombies

What about you guys?

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The AI is actually pretty decent. Not good, but not pathetic like mc3

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Exactly that vid, and it looks like a ps2 game, to be honest. Nova 3 looks like an early ps3 game.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
  9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The lighting in that vid looks like mc3's lighting, honestly. Where is the light-up on the environment from the muzzle flash?

10. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    @JBRUU: Stop trolling. We get it, you don't have good impressions of Resistance from YouTube videos. But like you say, don't bash it before you play it. I've never heard of you, but I have heard of many reviewers on reputable gaming sites have had positive experiances with the game, so I'm just gonna have to pass on what you say.

@MicroByte: Gawwd. What games do you not have? I've just been playing a little bit here and there of the games I currently have; Unit 13, Mortal Kombat, and Wipeout and the slew of PSN games. Got Resistance preordered...only a couple more weeks.

11. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I much rather buy Resistance Burning Skies over NOVA 3. Last game I played on my iPod was Shadowgun and let's just say it wasn't as good of an experience as I once thought it was. It's not that it's a horrible game by any means but controls are a real pain but it's not the game's fault, it's the hardware I'm playing it on. Plus after getting used to being able to see the whole screen as it was meant to be seen it's pretty hard to give up that luxury.

12. MicroByte

I bought NOVA 3 last week and it's just not clicking with me. While it's a great looking game on the iPad 2, the actual gameplay is pretty shallow for a FPS. There are some good parts, but running from place to place just didn't feel as fun as when NOVA1/2 or MC felt.

Plus, going back to touch controls just didn't feel right. It's manageable, but once you've been playing with physical controls with games like this, it's hard to want to go back to touch.

Also, I don't see the point of comparing the games anyways. Who care if NOVA looks better or vice versa, that just seems to be grounds to jumping in and starting a troll war. This thread has been good about not doing that and I'd hate to see it start. It's bad enough that the GameFaq's Vita board is worthless due to all of the back and forth nonsense.

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Agreed. My point was not to troll or to start a big arguement. I probably went a little far. I was, though, expecting a little more from the vita when it came to shooters. Idk, maybe another one will come along soon. Honestly, I don't care too much about how a game looks, but that's all I can go by since I haven't played resistance yet on the vita or seen a list of features. I guess I was hoping for more of a console-like game, instead we get something that at least looks a little outdated by even iOS standards. Still, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out and how successful it is. What I think would be really nice is of they ported some old classics like max Payne, maybe resident evil and dead space and the grand theft auto series to vita, now THERE'S a moneymaker. Or how about halo, of Sony can buy the rights? Would love to see the real halo on a mobile.

Anyway, iOS vs vita is a pointless and rather stupid arguement. Wasn't trying to start that, merely voicing my disappointment in resistance.

14. MicroByte

Agreed and hopefully Resistance does turn out to be great. And don't get us wrong, most of the people posting in this thread were pretty hardcore iOS supporters, I think there a lot of us that have grown weary of what the scene has turned into and with the Vita, have a system that fits most of our needs better. I know that I personally still have a fondness for the years I spent playing iOS games and remember what it was like when the App Store first launched. It's amazing how it's evolved and grown, but there are things that have been introduced that are also a detriment - Constant hardware updates & IAP are my big issues.

Curious, your new to TA, have you been into the iOS scene long?

15. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

How can you be disappointed in Resistance? Its not out yet lol, all video previews wont be the final build so you cant judge on it that much.

What i must say with Vita games is that i havent played any games on it that have as bad glitches etc as some IOS games have

16. MicroByte

That's another thing I started to really dislike, the constant crashes/bugs in games. A new iOS version comes out, games lose compatibility. A new hardware revision comes out, games don't work. And then you have the scenario where the latest hardware revision (iPod Touch) can't handle some of the newer games (IBII). I gave up after that point. I'm fortunate to have an iPod and would have probably done the usual yearly hardware upgrade, but Apple stopped me from doing that (thankfully!).

With the Vita, if there is a bug, it's most likely going to affect everyone which is why it will be fixed. I can comfortably make my $40 purchase and know that I'll get something that just works. Funny how that's the way I used to think of Apple.

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Little over a year. Luv TA, btw.

And yes I too wish apple wouldn't keep updating hardware every year, gets a little irritating. IAPs are also unbelievably annoying, but hopefully we will be getting more paymiums.

My love for ios is the versatility of the system, especially with jail breaking.

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    From the previews, it looks like a good ps2 game. Sorry, it just does. I was expecting, with the beefy hardware, more of a ps3 game graphically. That's where I'm disappointed. Also in the fact that multiplayer supports only 8 players. I was expecting a little more. Hopefully later this year or next year...

19. MicroByte

I can understand, I think expectations are a little too high. A lot of people see the Vita as a "portable PS3" when that's not the case right now. I see the potential and given it's new, will need time to ramp up in terms of graphical capabilities.

Mortal Kombat was the same way - it might not be the best to look at, but damn, it does play really well. I'm really enjoying my time with that game.

Again, let's wait until the game is actually released to judge...

20. In a video discussing Sony's E3 conference, Michael Pachter briefly mentions an unannounced Vita title that he's excited about. Since Pachter is an analyst, I would assume that whatever game he's talking about could bring in some decent sales.

Long video, but he makes the comment at around 16:40: http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/605