Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I saw those price drops for UK a few weeks back, at least for SOCOM and Ace Combat. Kinda upsetting. P3P is only 19.99 in US.

2. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I've had more time with Age of Zombies for psp and while it is still a great game, its just an empty shell compared to any of the iOS versions.

There are no achievements which honestly gave me a lot of incentive to keep playing, and even worse, without game center, there is no challenge of besting someone else's top scores. Also missing is the buzzsaw, sentry bots and hoverboard.

There is just a lot more polish in the iOS versions, and with the added sooting directions, 16 vs 8, the psp AoZ does feel more challenging.

If you don't have AoZ, I recommend picking up the iOS version. Theres no reason to pick up the PSP version unless you'd like a dedicated game device on trips to save juice on your mobile.

3. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Where the heck are the shmups?

4. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Super Stardust?

5. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    I can't believe that there's still no support for PSone Classics outside of Remote Play. Got a whole bunch of them on my PS3 waiting to be transfered over.

6. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree with your sentiment 100%. I don't post as much, as I've grown tired of the constant iOS staple gaming experiences (puzzle, retro and endless runners), as well as, the gaming models (IAP, Freemium). You touched on the need to constantly upgrade, which is a problem. Idevices are not inexpensive, and none of the games ever push the "current" hardware, while reaching for future hardware and pleasing no one.

Nova 3, I had high expectations for. I enjoyed 2 but 3 seemed like a step back. The AI is terrible, the levels look very mobile designed: flat, static, poorly textured, low geometry architecture... It's almost like Gameloft had less dedication to the premium market and released a game with a minimal effort as possible. It's sad really, as March of Heroes showed promise once.

I do play my 3DS more than my Vita, but I'm excited for the Vita's future library. Both systems can coexist and provide a "better than" iOS experience.

For Vita, I have:

Retail-

Uncharted Golden Abyss
    Rayman Origins
    Virtua Tennis 4
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma +
    Wipeout 2048
    Unit 13

PSN-

Superstar dust Delta
    Ridge Racer
    Motorstorm RC
    Mutan Blobs

Retail preorders -

Resistance
    Gravity Rush

7. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

The OS for Vita is fast, snappy and very responsive. It's not Android, nor is it based on Android.

The Vita has 512 RAM (same as XBox 360) and adds 128 MB DEDICATED VRam, which is a savior for gaming.

The Vita pushes a lower screen resolution, while using the quad core SGX543MP4+ chip. The Vita CPU, which calculates physics and AI (which suck on iOS games) compared to Vita, is a IBM/Sony/Toshiba designed 2Ghz quad Core A9 chip.

Not only do iOS games lack responsive physics, they lack the use of Havok which is incorporated in a lot of Vita games.

Play Uncharted (a jungle section of the retail game) on Vita and tell me that does not dwarf iOS experiences. Hell, Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS dwarfs iOS games.

8. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Man, the updates are a killer. The type of games that I do collect for iOS tend to be more of the hardcore efforts, and they are not exactly small in file size. A lot of them near or over 1 GB in size. And I'm constantly being bombarded by updates; multiple updates, time and time again, for the same game. Each update adds either minimal new content, or none. I've had my fill of the obligatory and vague random bug fix update. I'm constantly collecting 15-20 updates for the same games. It becomes an undesired chore to update so many damn games. It's like I'm being harassed. It feels like a box of spam. Junk mail. Some times I think devs "update" these games to try and remind you that they still exist, but whatever the updates do, they are so minimal that you don't even notice them. At the very least, you could have very easily lived without whatever they have done.

9. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Must see!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWYTwGsRhZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqfRaF8gVhI

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=uncharted%20golden%20abyss&source=web&cd=27&ved=0CEoQtwIwBjgU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DS7nnRI60Gq0&ei=NfGzT9mnCeiPiAL55qmzAg&usg=AFQjCNEOPdd9891C2W3FRqW99XR8bkt9dQ

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA

I already stated that I do not want to get into this again. I made my points and I still stand by them. They were in regard to hardware and the graphics of resistance vs nova 3, that's all. You guys made your points, and some good ones too. End of story. I would rather talk and read about the vita on a ps vita thread than argue about ios vs vita. It was a bad idea for me to even bring that up.

Now does anyone know if it's planned or even rumored if the vita will be getting ports of older games like gta VC or SA, or maybe halo if Sony can the rights? I think it would be awesome for the sales for some old classics to be adapted, and good replaying them again. Perhaps some good horror, too? I don't know of any that's been announced or released yet.

11. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

You won't see Halo, as Microsoft owns the series.

You won't see Mass Effect 1 on Vita or PS3 either. Microsoft published the game, retaining the rights to that title.

There are rumors of GTA/CoD games coming to Vita, nothing concrete has been shown or talked about. E3 is in 2 weeks(ish). We will all know more then. :)

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Sony can't buy the rights or make some sort of deal? What a shame...

How about some horror?

13. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #1833 HardcoreEricXXX, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
    The developer of Heavy Rain has said that he "could see their games on the Vita". That's a very vague statement, but he definitely has an interest in it, as I'm sure many developers do.
    Considering that Nihilistic originally thought they were designing a game for PS3 when developing Resistance, and they were able to easily make it a Vita game, there's a lot of oppotunity for PS3 developers to bring their games to Vita.

Also, MGS seemed to make it over reletively quickly compared to Snake Eater making it to 3DS, if that in any way shows the ease of bringing developed games to Vita.

14. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Never.

Exclusives are what differentiate consoles outside of hardware wars. This is why you'll never see Mario on another platform, and it took the Dreamcast dying to put Sonic on something other than a Sega console.

Master Chief is stuck in the Microsoft ecosystem :\

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    That is such a shame...

And because of that we get half hearted clones like nova (at least on ios)

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Are there any more games in development that are both ps3 and vita cross-compatible like golden abyss?

17. I don't think Golden Abyss is cross-compatible with the PS3 Uncharted games. I know Wipeout 2048, Motorstorm RC, MLB The Show, the upcoming dungeon-crawler RPG Warrior's Lair, and a few other games are though.

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Oh. Thought it was.

19. Jinathin_x_X

Jinathin_x_X Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    The last thing that microsoft would do is sell halo to Sony or Nintendo.

20. Jinathin_x_X

Jinathin_x_X Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    Exclusive games are the main games that shows what hardware could do and offer. If Sony starts selling god of war, twist metal, infamous, resistance, killzone, uncharted...etc. Sony wouldn't be selling much ps3 as they used to.
    Mgs is still kinda like Sony exclusive. But not Konami wants to sell their games to microsoft and Nintendo, so yeah, basically Sony kinda got back stabbed by them