iPad Pocket Heroes - (by Ayopa Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 11, 2012.

1. denki_boy

denki_boy Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    Is there a way to group up with random people? If so, I cant figure out how..

2. Brandon Pollet

Brandon Pollet Well-Known Member

Not currently, you'll need to invite someone through email or Game Center.

3. denki_boy

denki_boy Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    Roger that, thanks for the response!

4. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Yeah, that'll definitely be a high priority for an update. People won't want games ended by someone who just stops playing.

5. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Maybe this has been answered already but does the difficulty for the quests scale to the number of party members? I was hoping to just play with one other friend and it might be tricky for me to track down a 3rd person. Especially if they are going to take forever to play their turn since they might not be as excited.

6. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    #46 stutz, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
    Any plans for a random dungeon option? Something that might be closer to a roguelike dungeon that you could play with your friends with an end goal like kill the big boss and rescue the villagers? I'll put my vote in for that and I think it could solve the problem of leaving a party or playing with a different group simultaneously for people might have issues with that. It also might satisfy the hardcore crowd who will be eagerly waiting for each new added quest.

Can't wait to start playing!

7. hobbitrjw27

hobbitrjw27 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    I want to say that I can definatley see and agree with the problem Pitta has pointed out. I can see having a storyline with a series of quests to follow in order. However I think I see a solution to the problem and that is to make each individual quest as dynamic as possible

A probably vauge example of a dynamic quest would be:

Quest: Defeat the evil wizard at the end of the dungeon.

Now if you want to keep a set dungeon map for the quest that's fine. What you can make dynamic and random are:

Chests: what they contain and where they are located.
    Enemies: (with the exception of the boss at the end of the quest) what kind of enemies you face and where they are located in the dungeon.

Other things like gold and items that enemies might drop can be random as well.

I agree and I hope Brandon that you make dynamic Quests a top priority,otherwise the game becomes predictable after a few games.

8. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Ok random question....

Does your character(s) stats, items, gear carry over to the next new quest/game or does it restart every new game played and how long are quests on average (considering your team is pretty fast with their turns)? Just wondering as far as replayability goes...

9. Brandon Pollet

It does scale, you can play the whole game with two players, although you may have to restart a quest or two depending on tactics. As you add party members the enemies get a level bonus so that it stays competitive for larger parties.

There is also a gold bonus for larger parties. When one player picks up a gold drop in a 2 player game the other player gets 50% of that amount as well. In a 3 player game the other players get 75% and in a 4 player game each player gets the full amount of the drop.

10. Brandon Pollet

Good question. Your player is persistent so all the gear you pick up in each quest stays with your character forever. So as you move through quests are you constantly building up your character along with the other members in your party.

The levels vary in length, the first couple take around 16 - 20 turns to complete, while the later levels are probably closer to 40 or 50 turns.

11. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    I take it that there are several levels per quest? Is that correct? Or are you saying it's 16-20 turns for one quest?

12. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    WAIT WHAT! You have to have 4 people you know/invite? If that's the case i might hold off on this one.
    I've been waiting for ages for this to come out but I don't know another three people who would want to play. And that would be just for one game.

Damn it.

13. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    You can play with two players.

14. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Not sure I get what this means.
    "stays with your character forever" I would assume that means cross game when ever you pick the character again.

But mentioning "move through quests" would suggest that it does not stay with the character and is on a game save only basis, with nothing crossing over if you decide to make a new game?

15. Brandon Pollet

I think we need to define some terms ;)

There are 10 quests in the game currently, another way to say this is that there are 10 levels.

When you start a party you being at Quest 1 and proceed through all the Quests to Quest 10. You'll play the same character through all of these Quests, and play with the same party members all the way through. Any gear you find will stay with your character through all of these Quests, and will continue to stay with your character into the Quests that we will put out as updates.

I think something that may be confusing is that this game isn't 'game based' like Hero Academy. You don't have a Paladin that you take into a one-off battle against someone and then take that same Paladin into another group later on. Each character is part of a group of characters just like in a D&D game.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

16. 3parkbenchhydra

3parkbenchhydra Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Why would it suggest that? He said your character is persistent and that you keep gear through quests. No contradictory information to that was given.

17. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #57 GodSon, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
    Thank you for summing it up with the fast reply. I'm really looking forward to playing as all classes concurrently now.

EDIT: I think you clarified my 2nd question in your prior post. Characters reset after a 'Full' set quest (currently to level 10) is completed? i.e. you start over at level 1 fresh in any new game started like Sword of Fargoal, 100 Rogues, etc...

18. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's hard for me to get excited about it without some kind of randomization.

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I remember this discussion back in the upcoming thread, but I can't quite remember your reasoning for locking party members together (cozy and snuggly though it is ;) ). And I dislike some of the inflexibility of this setup. In my close-knit group of iOS gaming pals, some of us might be unavailable for periods of time, thanks to that silly thing called real life. This means we either have to put all shared Pocket Heroing on hold, since we can't continue to quest with our current characters while one of our current party is on hiatus, or restart from Quest 1, with new characters, but without that real-life invested dude. And then, when our wayward pal returns, resume questing with the old party, when we might have preferred to include him in the new group, and continue to quest with the new characters that we might now be more invested in.

Likewise, if one of us does not purchase Pocket Heroes right away, we either have to wait to get started, or start anew once the most tight-fisted among us joins the fun.

(Not to mention the already mentioned problem of problematic party members, for example random players that turn out to either take too long, or forever, to make their moves, or who just proves to be a nuisance to play with. Instead of being able to move on in the quest chain with all members but the runt, we instead have to restart form Quest 1.)

Might we, in the future, see a more flexible party and quest setup?

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've had this game for the last week, and had a list of e-mails to add n play with, but haven't been able to start one game.

It's been pretty upsetting... But hopefully a few of my GC friends will pick this up, and I'll FINALLY be able to play...

My GC is Syntheticvoid if any of you want to play (I have the game now, so I'm available for play ASAP!!)...

Can't wait to get into this!!