iPad Pocket Heroes - (by Ayopa Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Brandon Pollet

Brandon Pollet Well-Known Member

Hey guys, sorry for the long radio silence on my part. The short answer to the update questions is that it is still coming. I know I've failed you guys on getting this thing out quickly but I do still plan to release it. If you're interested in a longer explanation as to why things have slowed down, keep reading.

I'm going to say something that I think you all probably know by now; we got in over our heads with Pocket Heroes. There were so many technical challenges to overcome that by the end we were mainly just focused on getting something out there that worked, we couldn't see that the underlying game itself had several issues. Unfortunately the game that we shipped is not the game that we envisioned when we started development.

That is obviously no-one's fault by our own, but looking back at it now with much more experience makes me realize just how many mistakes we made along the way. I chose to respond to this post specifically because while I don't think Pocket Heroes is only an experiment ( it is fun to play, and I know a lot of people here have enjoyed their time with it ) it is something that really needs to be reworked from the most basic level if it's going to live up to it's potential.

With all that said, I am still working on the update. It's to the point that we need to deploy it on our testing server and play through the new Raid levels several more times to test them. I do still plan to release the Raid update and I think you'll enjoy it. If people are really excited by the new randomized levels we could release more fairly easily but I feel that for us to continue the story we really need to start over and build a much more in-depth combat system and then implement it on a better engine that isn't going to have the sync issues we've seen in this version.

We've learned a TON since we started working on Pocket Heroes. Anyone who has tried out our new game, House of the Lost, will probably agree with me when I say that it is a much better GAME than Pocket Heroes. We've learned a lot about gameplay and player reward that I think would allow us to make a much better version of Pocket Heroes, but honestly I think we have more learning to do before we take that plunge again.

I'll let you know when we submit the update to Apple, until then I don't want to put a time limit on it and then be wrong if it doesn't make it.

Thanks for caring about the game.

2. REkzkaRZ

REkzkaRZ Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    TV Production / AV Engineer
    SF Bay Area
    Honesty -- good policy

Brandon,

I was wondering what happened with this game. I was very excited, bought it & had a few friends buy it, we all started a few games, and then ... excitement dampened within 1 week. Or was it less?

I compliment you on your honesty in your post. I'm also very curious about how much $$$ you guys made on this 'experiment' game which got lots of hype & probably a lot of players -- and then didn't work very well.

Lastly, recap of a strange game: I played in a game with people I didn't know. One person was very crude & kept flaming folks (ie insulting), stealing treasures & kills (aka poaching), and then finally stopped playing & the game died.

Rather than completely give up on your game, it actually needs a remake of the game -- one that doesn't require any servers on your side, doesn't 'end' if one player stops playing, allows players to join & leave parties, has real character development, etc.
    But as you said, this kind of thing may be beyond your scope.

Where are all the game devs for making something like this???
    MULTIPLAYER RPG / ASYNCH / great graphics & sound / FUN

Or are there a bunch of *great* games like this that I've missed?

3. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Long shot, but anyone feel like starting up a game for old time's sake?
    Despite all the bugs, I really liked this one. Shame they abandoned it.

GC is Inky The Ghost

4. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I might be up for it - I never did get to finish the game. But will it still work? They may have shut the servers down. Haven't opened the game in months (don't even have it on my phone now).

5. InkyTheGhost

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Yes!
    Looks like it's still running, tried out a dummy game. I only managed to finish it once, after dozens of games failed because other folks bailed.
    Add me on GC and let's do it.

Edit: or rather, let me know when you reinstall.

6. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Your turn Inky. Sorry, forgot to move for a couple days.

7. Voley

Voley Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    anybody still playing this?

I'm looking to play this game, you can add me to adventure on [email protected]

8. Croaker_1

Croaker_1 New Member

May 25, 2012
    Wow! An update to version 1.1 just dropped! I thought for sure this game was forever dead. It seems it was only "mostly dead."

9. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Anyone still playing this? I don't have it and forgotten all about it until my watch list told me of an update. Might consider getting it if any of you think it's good and would play a game?

10. JohnnyCoghlan

JohnnyCoghlan Well-Known Member

As F5 Games have confirmed, the v1.1 update for Pocket Heroes is live on the App Store at last! New features are listed below and here's the Pocket Heroes App Store link. Let us know what you think!

A huge new update!
    - New random "Raid" dungeons.
    - New Hero Board, a visual means of character management.
    - Create new parties and delete old parties much more easily.
    - Various bug fixes and extra polish!

11. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Financial systems analyst
    MN
    Holy crap!! The big update hit?!? I've been waiting for this since it released. Time to redownload ;)

12. Zimon

Zimon Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Sweden
    Can't find it. Still have 20 "dead" games going.

13. JohnnyCoghlan

Hi folks - info from the devs on how to delete a party and how to access the Hero Board!
    - 1. When an existing character is in a game and you want to end that game, select that character/adventure from the list of adventures in the "PLAY" menu.
    - 2. Select Menu in the upper left hand corner.
    - 3. Select Quit and confirm the you wish to quit the quest.
    - 4. You will be back at the character list. Tap on the character again (the button will say Manage).
    - 5. From this screen you can add or remove your character from the Hero Board and delete the character.

14. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    I was totally blown away when I saw this update! I started playing again about a couple months ago on just one adventure. Maybe my 10-20 other adventures will pick up again.

One note - while you can leave an adventure, deleting a hero doesn't work. Tapping on Delete This Character simply does nothing.

Wide screen support was a nice addition too!

15. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    The delete the character button doesn't work

16. JohnnyCoghlan

Great, thanks! Apologies for the issues with the delete character button - we have asked the F5 developer crew for a solution!

17. bencodec

bencodec New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    I'm username "Bench" if anyone still wants to try this one.

18. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    #898 ItouchBrett, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Won't let me add an email or login to my old one. Sigh. Deleted again. Will wait another 7 months or so for another update.

19. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Noooo! When I try to play our game now, it crashes out of pocket heroes. :(

20. InkyTheGhost

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Same. Came here to see if others had issues. Starting to think they stopped supporting it.