Pocket Heroes - D&D meets Words with Friends

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Brandon Pollet, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ap0calypse

Ap0calypse Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Snif, I wont even have internet :(((((

2. hobbitrjw27

hobbitrjw27 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Ok seriously if this is now the release date it is absolutely absurd. This game needs to be released and soon. Brandon I'm sorry to have to start sounding upset and a little rude but it's getting to be a year since you first announced this game. I dont know what you guys are doing over there but it seems you have no concept of setting a deadline to get stuff done. Every time this game gets pushed back people get more and more irritated by the extended wait.

I can understand the need to have a game that looks as polished as possible however this is also why apple allows for updates by developers. Sometimes you just need to draw a line between what gets done in development and what gets patched in updates. When is this line going to get drawn.

Sorry folks but this Needed to be said sooner or later.

3. juls363

juls363 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Well said mate

4. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009

A released game doesn't have to be perfect, but the initial reception is very very important. A game like this has got to be good right from the start, because if it's merely mediocre then you won't build the necessary player base to get groups of people into it, and an update later isn't likely to make up for a poor first impression.

The most common mistake in all software development is sticking to a deadline no matter what. That's what creates a lot of failed games, websites, software tools, you name it - rushing a release is the enemy of quality software. Believe me, the developers / designers are motivated to release this soon as well - it means that the crazy pace of near-release work can slow down and they can start actually making money off their product, so a decision to move back a release date is not made lightly - but when it is made, it's usually the right decision.

I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase for a game destroyed or even severely damaged by delays - just be patient, and realize that you're getting a better game in the end.

5. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I don't think you understand the concept of patience OR the concept of developing a game. Developers never know whether or not their game is ready for release. You never know when certain glitches or bugs could occur.

If you haven't noticed, many other games have been announced over a year ago and haven't been released yet. I would much rather have a polished, good quality game than a poor quality, half assed game.

6. 3parkbenchhydra

3parkbenchhydra Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    It is so cool that all these people who aren't on the development team or even beta know how far along the devs are with their game! What amazing Karnak mind-powers!

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As far as I'm concerned, Brandon and his dungeon mastering pals can take another 6 months, if that means the end product is all the more polished for it. Every wednesday/thursday night Pocket Heroes is NOT released, my expectations continue to grow ;)

But perhaps you should avoid the deadlines altogether, Brandon. I remember waiting for the Savage 2 beta to begin, a process that took over a year and a half longer than the initial deadline, with regular deadline pushbacks and little in the ways of dev-community communication (something you fellas certainly don't lack for, fortunately :) ). According to the community back then, the deadline abuse was almost worse than the actual wait, and it was the element that infuriated the community the most.

When in doubt, always fall back to the scale of soonity ;):

Now <------ Soonerino ------ Very Soon ------ Soon ------ Soon-ish ------> End of Time

8. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    Agreed with the posts above, Brandon, dont bother listening to ONE whiner, every delay excites me more because delay=new stuff
    And i ready to wait to have a good quality game with nice and polished ideas

9. hobbitrjw27

Apr 27, 2010
    I am not saying the game should come out sloppy HOWEVER, I am saying that it is beyond my comprehension as to why barring a major issue or bug that they need yet another month for polishing and bug squashing. Seriously? You aren't going to get every single little bug. It happens all the time and that is why we have updates.

Plus if all he is doing is adding more stuff to the game that is also stuff I'm sure you can have your players look forward to in updates.

If this was say only the first or second time a release timeframe was not met I'd react a little differently,but now there have been quite a few missed which I feel makes my question of what in the heck is going on in devlopment pretty appropriate.

10. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    but while ur delaying update please? even if its just debugging lol just tell us ur debugging or how close u are to final build

11. Brandon Pollet

Brandon Pollet Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, sorry for not responding sooner, I was at E3 and didn't see that the thread had been updated.

I appreciate all the comments, and I understand the frustration due to the delays. As some of you have already said this is not a decision that has been made lightly, we absolutely do not want to frustrate or upset our player-base, you guys are the ones that have helped us to get the buzz going for Pocket Heroes and we really can't tell you how much we appreciate it.

The decision to push the date back to July 12th was very difficult for us to reach but we felt that setting a date a month out, that we are sure we can actually hit, was better than pushing it a week or two and possibly needing to move it again.

As I mentioned above, I was at E3 this week and talked to a lot of great people in the industry and the press about Pocket Heroes. I believe that the coverage we will receive will help to grow the number of players for Pocket Heroes and make the experience better for everyone. However, from now until June 28th ( because you have to submit to Apple two weeks before your launch date ) we will be working non-stop to get the game ready for release.

Again, I'm sorry for the delays, and I appreciate you continuing to care about the game enough to voice your opinion. But let me assure you, we are working on the game, it is coming out soon, and we're doing everything we can to make it the kind of game that you're all looking for.

Thanks!

12. knighthalo123

Feb 9, 2011
    maybe u can create a beta for us? so u can satisfy us lol

13. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    No need one month of wait is quite short compared to some other games

14. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Any teasing screenshots or updates on nearing submission product?

15. Two_Face

Two_Face Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I was a District Attourney
    Gotham
    I feel like almost all good upcoming iPhone games have not had any news in months.

16. knighthalo123

Feb 9, 2011
    Two_face he just gave us news that its been pushed back to july 12th it think D: sadly but its probably for them to make a better game, better than being released early and being fixed over time

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Delayed again... sigh.
    No notification about the app being submitted in Apple's clutches.

18. hobbitrjw27

Apr 27, 2010
    So does it say what the next release date is that we should not bet our money on?

Really this is getting old,and very fast. Now you all know why I get upset at waiting another month,because it doesn't stop at a months wait. It gets pushed back and pushed back and there never seems to be a end to it.

To me If I were the head of a design team for something like this and we had to keep delaying and delaying it would be unacceptable because I know that customers are waiting on us,and to me it looks really bad to keep them waiting.

Brandon,if I were in your shoes at this point I would have your people working sleepless night after sleepless night to meet some sort of deadline,if that is what it takes. Set a deadline,and at that deadline the game is submitted to apple. Then once it is out updates can be worked on to patch all the minor bugs.

19. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Hmm don't you think the above comments are a bit on the harsh side. :eek:
    I'd take a release date as a guideline (kind of like a bus timetable) but either way getting all pissed isn't going to bring the game any sooner, it will be done when it's done.
    Personally I'd rather wait a little longer for a better game instead of have a rushed out game with glitches or bugs.

20. hobbitrjw27

Apr 27, 2010
    And exactly how many of these "guideline" release dates being failed to be met should it take before people start getting annoyed.

Plus your example of a bus timetable is a poor one to equate release dates to. As people expect buses to also run on time. If they are late. People get to their destinations late,which in some cases may result in people being late to work....Not Good!

It's simply a business principle. Never keep the customer waiting too long.

You see small scale examples of it anywhere you go. You go to a restaurant,and as a customer of that resturant you have the expectation of having your food brought out in a timely manner,as you are hungry and don't like waiting for forever for your meal to be cooked.

This is why I say if it were me I would find constant delays to be unacceptable simply as a business principle. Mostly because I would be taking into consideration how I would feel as a customer if I was kept waiting and waiting and waiting.