Pocket Heroes - D&D meets Words with Friends

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Brandon Pollet, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Pah I can't be bothered to argue or explain. So, game not ready, you not get game. When game ready you get game.

:p

2. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    That's not the point. The point is that if the dev is going to give a release date, then release it on that date. If they fail to release it, then people who are following the game will get annoyed when they have their anticipation disappointed.

Alternatively, if your dev team can't get its act together enough to give a release date (or if you guys actually realize that everything takes ten times longer than you anticipate), then just say, "it will be released, when it's ready," and that way no one will have justified disappointments against you.

3. Narziss

Nov 28, 2009
    That means, since they have taken care to announce it, that the game will be submitted tomorrow. I hope they do, or they should otherwise not give a release date.

4. Narziss

Nov 28, 2009
    Basically: if you can't meet the deadline, don't set one.

5. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Then, it's easier to be lazy and not do any progress on your game. If you have a deadline, it predates you to continue to do more work on your game.

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It's not much of a business principle. I've ordered things years in advance---and that's when I'm *paying*, not just complaining about something I haven't even paid for yet. Sometimes things just do take time.

7. Grungebob

Grungebob Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    I'm not sure why people get upset by a missed release date on an IOS app. I think it is fairly obvious that if a developer/publisher misses its release projections, then it is likely because the app isn't ready, like they expected it to be, due to unforeseen problems. You wouldn't want to buy an app that is incomplete. Furthermore, what difference does the date really make? These are not life saving medications, or organ transplants. They are just games and a week or two to make sure they work properly seem like such a small thing to get upset about.

8. juan13

juan13 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    I know it might have been answered but obviously I have missed it - will Pocket Heroes support iPod Touch 2g? And also, did this delay in the release gave you the time to implement the Universal?

9. Narziss

Nov 28, 2009
    A week or two delayed? I think it's been like a year.

10. Grungebob

Jul 10, 2010
    This thread was started a year ago, but there was no release date set. In one of his first posts about the game Brandon wrote:

This is a fairly transparent admission that things change in unpredictable ways in this industry especially when developers/publishers are doing something as a sideline.

I think a skill all fans could benefit from is an acceptance that release dates are just estimates and no matter how much you complain about it, your complaints will never have an affect on the outcome (thankfully, since many of us want a game that is done, even if it is late).

11. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    haha, that is the stupidest piece of advice i've ever heard in my entire life. good thing you are not a project manager for an actual product. they did not delay by a year. they first announced that this game was being developed more than a year ago, at e3. meaning you saying that it has been delayed for a year is an incredible exaggeration (making you sound like a spoiled child). do you think it's easy to develop something like this?

kudos to the publisher for allowing this release to be pushed back in order for users to get a higher quality product. that is what matters.

Narziss, my advice to you is: take some deep breaths. play something else. distract yourself from constantly monitoring the development of this game - there are people whose job it is is to do that. people whose livelihoods actually depend on the release of this title. they most definitely care more about its release than you do, and are doing everything they can to get it done. it should not be your job. our jobs as gamers are to enjoy these productions by these talented people who devote their minds and time to our entertainment. and there are many games to be played already. so go ahead and do that. i promise, that at some point Pocket Heroes will be out and you will get to have fun with it (granted that it is a fun game ;)).

as they say, "keep calm and carry on"

12. Brandon Pollet

Brandon Pollet Well-Known Member

Well we've actually worked 5 sleepless nights in a row and right now the only thing that is standing between us and submission is a bug in Apple's push notification system. As soon as we get it sorted out ( today ) we'll be submitting. :)

I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently but I've honestly been sitting at this computer working on the game non-stop for the last several weeks. It's not 'perfect', but it is 'done' and I'm really hoping that you will all enjoy playing it very soon.

Thanks!

13. Mercutio

Mercutio Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Good news! I hope you get the bug fixed as soon as possible, so you guys can relax a little bit more! Keep up the great work! I'm looking forward to have lots of fun with the game day 1!

14. penguinspl

penguinspl Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Universally app or only iphone ??

15. Narziss

Nov 28, 2009
    All you guys who keep getting your panties in a knot over everything I post. What's wrong with instead saying, "hey guys, we'll release the game when it's ready. Perhaps it'll take 3-5 months longer, but we don't know exactly how long it'll take since there is a lot to be done".

Instead of continually giving deadlines you don't meet, just don't give your customers one at all. That's what I'd do. At most I'd give them an approximation. And from experience with project setting deadlines, everything takes five to ten times longer than most people think it will. The devs just really didn't see how long this would take, and I kinda remember them saying that they are a new company.

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    It has been submitted to Apple last night.

Wooooooooooooooot!!!

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Double-Wooooooooooooooot!!!

18. Bigperm9

Bigperm9 Active Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Yay! I've been looking forward to this for a while. I will definitely be buying this on day one. Great job guys!

19. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I'll add a woohoo X3

20. Grungebob

Jul 10, 2010
    Now I shouldn't have to post the obvious, but why can't you simply do that yourself? Here's how you do it:

Company A says its app will be available on June 15th. You roll your eyes and quietly say to yourself "yeah right! I know how this goes. More like July 15th or later". And then you quietly move along instead of posting constant complaints about slipped dates. You have the power in your hands to solve this whole issue and you don't even know it. :)