Universal Pocket Master Legend (by Jie Hao)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    This is not affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, DeNA, or the Pokemon Company in any way. I can confirm that.

Besides, if you're trying to do a stealth soft launch, you don't release in major markets and just slap mustaches and glasses on existing character art.

2. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    It just seems TOO blatant to get overlooked by so many people. I've seen games get pulled in a matter of hours because they were rip offs. You never know. It's Monday, so it could get pulled this morning. Like I said, I haven't played the game yet. I just finished downloading it. It just seems like too much of a coincidence. It does seem weird that it would be soft launched in so many countries, but maybe they needed a really large audience for testing? Who knows. I DO love a good conspiracy theory tho, so I'm gonna take this one and run. I wanna be the the one that says "I told ya so!" When Nintendo and DeNA come out and confess and everyone will hoist me on their shoulders and parade me around town chanting, "NOEN was right!" and the mayor of that town will declare that day "St. Noen's Eve" and it will be celebrated for years to come........I'm pretty sure that's how it's gonna go.

3. dwincelowicz

dwincelowicz Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Security
    Sarasota, FL
    The broken English in this game screams "copyright infringement" and "please sue me!"

While they've made a decent effort at a game, it's a complete rip. There's absolutely no way this would have been released by DeNA or Nintendo in this current state.

4. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    This is Nintendo we're talking about right? I realize it's not them, but soft launching doesn't really fit their M.O. This is the same company that region locks games and has separate sets of passwords for extra stages from the newly released Pokemon Picross. The same levels, but for different regions.

5. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    It's a tough call. I've been playing it for a few and it's definitely boring like the real Pokemon. The artwork is REALLY good and there is a LOT of content. Yea, there is some rough English translation, but there is still quite a bit of polish. SOMEBODY put a lot of time and effort into this game. This isn't something one person did for a quick cash grab before its pulled. I dunno. I'm still gonna stick with my conspiracy theory. Get your shoulders warned up everybody!!

6. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    That's the thing. I don't know Pokemon that well, so I can't tell if everything is true to the original art or not. I agree. If the artwork is wrong, I can't see Nintendo and DeNA spending extra time and effort to change up the character art just so it doesn't seem too obvious.

7. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    #27 indalico, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    AppShopper says this app was released on Sept. 20th 2015. Is there any real way to track app name changes? I doubt this app was called that back then.

This was called Pocket Master Legend on the prior update. There's an update and original release before that as well.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:6ct2KyqtxqMJ:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pocket-master-legend/id992047778%3Fmt%3D8+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

edit: I see the AppShopper URL mentions "pocket-saga-3d-mmo-games" so that's probably the original title?

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's not soft launched. It's even available in Lebanon.

9. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

10. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I've never heard someone call Pokemon boring. How old were you when the games came out?

11. Shiatama_0

Shiatama_0 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    At least you don't see the pixels as in the 3DS games. And this is not cellshading.
    And wow respect, buy your comment stupidity has reach a new high in this forum, good job!!!!

12. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    The artwork is simply taken from other sources. In the first 5 or so minutes of the game you run into Team Rocket, who have correct avatars with white shirts and Rs, but the 2D images used during dialogue are palate swapped with different letters, like alternative images used by those trying to avoid copyright infringement. The actual sizes of avatars is also wildly inconsistent, with huge Pokémon such as onyx being tiny, and others like vileploom being massive. Heck, they couldn't even get the attacks right. Early pidgeys were using solar beam and razor leaf. If this was even close to official, they'd at least have used the attacks the different Pokémon are known for. There are a ton of other issues as well, such as incorrect types and bizarre dialogue. Overall, this game may look ok at times, but a ton of free games look just as good if not better. If you are not creating your own art and can grab images/models elsewhere, it really does cut down on production. The actual game and implementation is just lazy, and nothing suggests that this title is anything but an attempt to grab some quick cash using the Pokémon name before it gets pulled.

13. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I dunno, probably around 16 or so? I think the first Pokemon game released in somewhere the mid 90's? I mean, I guess I've never game Pokemon a fair chance. I bought like one game and didn't really care for it and that was pretty much it for me for the whole series. I think I mostly just didn't care for the character design. I've actually thought about trying it out again just to see if my 16 year old self was wrong.

14. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    #34 NOEN, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    Ahh, see, I didn't notice that. That changes a lot. Like I said, I was never into Pokemon, so one glance at it and I'm like, "Yea, that's Pokemon all right!" Lol. Yea, so I highly doubt Nintendo and DeNA would go through so much trouble to make it look like it was a knock-off Pokemon game. You sir, have just kicked my conspiracy theory right in the nuts.

15. xodiac

xodiac Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2014
    I love this game, managed to get a 6star one in a gamble draw. Is there any fan forum for this game or list of pokemonsters that are good or bad or w/e? and what skills to use etc

16. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Seriously. How the hell does this pass by Apple and get approved.

17. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    By* reached*. And the graphics on here are not nearly as clean as the 3DS sprites. The models on here look like an early psp game.

18. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    This

19. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    #39 Roleki, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    lol!
    {original comment: "Your grammar helps make your point null. This looks nowhere as good as the 3DS models, and it's all Gen 1 Pokémon."}

20. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013