Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Jmacjmac

Jmacjmac Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    I'm part of the touch arcade group and have gotten my prize for the last couple of events, but didn't get my reward for the Santiago event even tho I had 65ish jobs. Did the rules change on who could collect or did I lose out when my game half crashed right at the end of the event? I've been lurking this board since I started TT in Nov. but this is my 1st. post.

2. mwadsit

mwadsit Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Think I needed to use 13 airports (don't exactly remember) to do it? I posted it a while ago. Had my base down in South America so it helped a little bit. Fully upgraded Mohawk. Route was down the west coast of the US, across the north coast of South America, crossing to Africa from Recife to Monrovia, then up to Cairo, through India and Indonesia, and down into Australia. Took over 3 hours for the plane to finish it. This probably isn't the most efficient way to do it but I wanted to make as much use of already existing airports as I could. Had to grab a few more class 1s (especially in Asia/Australia) in order to finish it/

But yes, with Easter Island, Punta Arenas, Honolulu, and Barrow now down, I would agree that Mohawks are the best for achievements. Also very helpful for doing some of the personal events if class 1 airports. I run a fleet of 1 P, 1 C, and 1 M, all fully range, speed, and cost upgraded

3. TheRustySnowman

Jun 24, 2012
    I've fixed that now. It was using a greater than rather than a greater than or equals.

It's been funny adding to the tools on that page because range and distance travelled are actually measured in totally different units! Take something like the Birchcraft with a range of 1517 miles. Travelling from Seoul to Dhaka looks like its going to be close to that range, my claculator says 1211 miles and by eye that looks like the right ballpark. But when you fly it the miles stat on the plane only goes up 302 miles!

As I've been extending into calculations of time and cost I've found it's the distance travelled scaled number rather than range that must be used. That means doing some scaling with is introducing small margins of error.

In addition the location of cities is based on co-ordinates I believe we extracted from the map so could be slightly out but 99% of the time it seems accurate enough.

4. Axelbond

Axelbond Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Sweden
    Hi, yesterday i just lost all my money and today one of my airports(los angeles) had some kind of elecrical problem so they said i can reopen it for 25000 coins, i had no coins so i exchange buxs to coins so then i got 3000 coins. I pressed reopen to see if something happens and it opened my airport but now i owe them 22000 coins :-( what to do? Cause now i can't travel because they telling me: you need 22000 coins to make this trip :-(

Sorry for some bad spelling or languige

5. Sgt_Ludby

Sgt_Ludby Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I'm currently doing a little bit of research into the profit/distance ratio. I just started, so I don't have anything mildly conclusive to share, unfortunately. However, it's a little trickier than I thought it would be =P There appears to be a few inconsistencies that I can't quite figure out.

So far, I've been using the same plane (Navigator - C w/o upgrades), always making sure it's full with the 25% bonus. Its first flight from New York to Detroit took 4 minutes and 53 seconds. The distance between the two cities is 67 miles (I just looked at my plane's total miles before and after the flight). Based on the time taken and distance traveled, its actual speed was 823 mph -- much higher than 165mph, like its stats state! But that fact was already figured out a while ago lol

When I did another flight, from Detroit to Philadelphia, its actual speed was very similar. It flew 57 miles in 4 minutes and 10 seconds. Its actual speed was 820 mph. It's only slightly different from the first speed and I attribute that to my measure of the time. Had I stopped the timer a tad earlier on the second flight so that it took 4 minutes and 9 seconds to travel 57 miles, the actual speed would have been 824 mph. Likewise, for the first flight, if I stopped it a second later and it took 4 minutes and 54 seconds to fly 67 miles, its speed would have been 820 mph. Pretty consistent!

What's interesting is the actual speed when I took a flight from Paris to Amsterdam with the same plane. The flight took 3 minutes and 23 seconds, traveling 54 miles. The actual speed of this flight turns out to be 957 mph!!

I'm going to do another flight with an even shorter distance right away. My current hypothesis is that the actual speed increases as the flight time approaches the capacity (aka weight) of the plane, which means that profit is maximized when the flight time is equal to the plane's weight. Of course, I'll have to do many more test flights to see if this is true!

6. Buckleboo

Buckleboo New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    What does everyone think is the best city to have in Asia for the LA>>Tokyo Route...eg. Shanghai or Beijing being fed from Tokyo??

7. jdrawmer

jdrawmer Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Yes - Either Shanghai or Tokyo. If I remember, Shanghai is marginally straighter route (and i mean, literally, the odd coin in it).

8. stan86

stan86 Member

Dec 29, 2011
    which route are you guys taking for LA to Tokyo??
    for me new york, london, tehran, xi'an, tokyo,
    xi'an seems much straighter than Beijing or Shanghai =/

9. jdrawmer

May 31, 2009
    I don't do LA --> Tokyo, I do LA --> Beijing, with Tokyo feeding Beijing with jobs.

Honolulu ==> LA <--> New York <--> London <--> Tehran <--> Beijing <== Tokyo

10. Sgt_Ludby

Sgt_Ludby Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    #3670 Sgt_Ludby, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    Pick a random page of this thread - try 360 - and read through it. I guarantee you will find at least 3 routes starting with LA and ending with Tokyo =P

Edit: I meant and just checked 360. Looks like that was a bad guess lol Try 363 instead.

Edit v.2: It's never explicitly listed on 363, but it's discussed throughout the entire page. Close enough right? lol I swear it came up much more frequently. It seems like that question and answer appears nearly every page!

11. Buckleboo

Buckleboo New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #3671 Buckleboo, Jun 28, 2012
    I have two main routes going to Tokyo

LA > NY > Madrid > Tehran >
    _______________________________ > Shanghai > Tokyo
    Lima > Recife > Lagos > Tehran >

(San Jose for event)

12. jdrawmer

May 31, 2009
    Do you not find it difficult for Shanghai to split the layovers 30/30 between LA and Lima? How many planes do you have servicing those routes?

13. KitFisto22

KitFisto22 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2012
    A fully upgraded class 2 plane cant make a Transatlantic flight?

14. jdrawmer

May 31, 2009
    #3674 jdrawmer, Jun 28, 2012
    Honolulu is soul destroyingly rubbish for supplying LA!!! Just had a round of new jobs where there were only 7 jobs!!

Think I might change my route to New York --> Beijing, with LA and Mexico feeding New York, or Chicago and LA feeding it.

15. jdrawmer

May 31, 2009
    Yes it can. Aeroeagle upgraded twice, and Pearjet all 3 times can make it.

16. Battleland

Battleland Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Singapore

Hi jdrawmer, I am using Chicago to feed New York. I kinda feel that it is more cost efficient (ie. cost per mile) and quicker (since nearer) to use a closer airport to feed New York.

17. jdrawmer

May 31, 2009
    The problem is, if you only have one airport feeding it (especially one as likely to have a negative event as Chicago), you can end up screwing yourself which is why i'm thinking LA to feed it as well.

18. Pezmage

Pezmage Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Semi-out of work Lawyer
    Bay Area, California
    I was thinking of doing that exact same thing. I went through 3 or 4 job refreshes last night and only got 2 Shanghai's from Honolulu. I'm also using San Francisco but that has the same problem as Honolulu.

19. jdrawmer

May 31, 2009
    Yeah it was doing my head in this morning so i've changed it, as mentioned previously. Now I only have class 3 airports, and they're all upgraded to level 3. My smallest operating plane is a pearjet too, and most of the layover planes are aeroeagles so it's pretty vital i can get the most jobs possible in a trip!

Now it's rare I have to wait for a job refresh - and if I do, it's very rarely any more than 1 refresh.

20. Pezmage

Pezmage Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Semi-out of work Lawyer
    Bay Area, California
    I have a quick question for you. What's the hourly gain on your fogbusters?
    I got to sequoia level so I brought my fogbusters back out of the hanger and the return-per-trip seemed terrible. I get that they move twice the speed of the sequoia, but it just seemed like they were going to gobble up my layovers really fast for a less-than-stellar return.

Also, is anyone else noticing more crashes lately than usual? I seem to be crashing a lot these last couple days.