Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Mdaymond

Mdaymond Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    1. Ahhh. Thank's for letting me know! Code is G:191396658. Thank's for such good support, and as others are saying - Thankyou for such a great game!!! :)

2. Those improvements sound great!!! All of those things will certainly improve the playing experience.

I agree, the map as it is looks good. I think it's funny how the US made it's own map to make them the center of the world - what other country has done that?! lol

2. extreme472000

extreme472000 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    USA
    So can someone tell me what im supposed to do with this starship I got for the last event because it is level 3 and can't go to any of my airports. How do i get level 3 airports to use it?

3. Benholio

Benholio Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2012
    For what it's worth, I live in the US and 99.9% of the world maps have seen look like the UK map in that post and not the US-centered one. :)

4. Spidubic

Spidubic Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Now you've got me thinking of trying Pezmage's setup. I would like to have a southern route and a northern route. Wondering how much that would screw up the planning? Be a little more sorting for cities I assume rather than just filling top to bottom. Unless I have planes dedicated to flying north and south for deliveries.

5. Benholio

Benholio Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Level 3 airports are signified on the map with a red dot. They are the really high population cities.

6. adamreeve

adamreeve Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Student
    Norfolk, England
    I know right! I was thinking that too, but I didn't want to say it because usually something like that kicks off a US/UK argument because there are too many obnoxious Yank fanboys around on the internet.

7. ChadsterUK

ChadsterUK Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    IT Infrastructure
    Montreal
    I will eventually have a Northern route too, hopefully with 10 planes again which means 10 new planes to buy and 4 extra slots....so I'm way off yet.

But so far so good with this tactic, it's working!

8. Pezmage

Pezmage Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Semi-out of work Lawyer
    Bay Area, California
    That's good to hear! Glad it's working out for you! I currently have 20 Seqs going back and fourth, 18 M's and 1 P and 1 C (to deal with any off balance port). I have no complaints. At my lunch break I sat down and it took me about 20-30 mins solid to get everything in the air, so there's still the possibility for attention grabbing as I add more planes. But I can always just do one or two if that's all I have time for. I'm really digging it. Still too early to make any large conclusions or observations on it, but it's'a brewing.

I get the feeling that I could likely run this set up in a non-stop play with about 55-60 planes. I think it would take about that many to get to the point where the 1 and a half hour time limit to fly long distance would catch up with all the other planes moving around to the bottleneck points. At that point I suppose I would have to add another route, heh. Once I have the bux for it, I'll be able to add my next plane slot, so I'm getting there!

And in response to those Pocket Trains screenshots, holy crap. That looked great! I'd love to see some super omni game like suggested earlier in the thread combining trains and planes. Maybe make only the class 3 airport cities link up between the two and have some kind of extra bonus for moving train guys by plane or something. I don't know how it would work...but I'd love to see it!

Then they could add a local bus layer to get people to the trains! (Kidding.) ...(Kind'a).

9. NimbleTim

NimbleTim Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    You ranked 41 in TA with 1601 job delivered.

Just glad everyone is enjoying the game.

10. ChadsterUK

Jul 9, 2012
    IT Infrastructure
    Montreal
    20! WOW. I didn't go with M's, I think that will mean that it takes me longer to get flights going, but I just didn't like M's....now I think I've made a mistake, albeit a small one.

11. Mdaymond

Jul 2, 2012
    I looked at that website and this link; http://www.petersmap.com/page9.html made me laugh. Either the author of the website has something against America and his facts are made up, or he's making a very good point!

I know the US centred map isn't widely used, just find it amusing that somebody, somewhere over there made one. First question I'd ask is; Why? lol

I almost didn't say it because I know Nimblebit are based in the US :p
    And if someone kicks off - all I can say is that I have experience of the world to back up my own personal thoughts on what I say as I've been to the US, China, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Spain, Portugal etc. All I'll say about America is that they really need to reduce their carbon footprint and realise you need more than nuclear weapons to be invincible! Everyone forgets about global trade - such that we are currently doing in Pocket Planes :) See how I diverted it back to Pocket Planes talk there? Lol. #endofpoliticstypetalk :cool:

12. adamreeve

adamreeve Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Student
    Norfolk, England
    How do you have enough jobs to fill 20 Sequoias without feeding? I have four Sequoias at the moment running that same route and I have to wait at least 3 or 4 job refreshes to fill each one at either end, even with fully upgraded airports.

13. NimbleTim

NimbleTim Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    At one point during development I had a network of only class 1 planes going from Alaska to Asia. Somewhere between 20 and 30 planes I hit the point where you could play non stop. When you loaded the game it would take 5 to 15 minutes just to get everything in the air and they would start landing before you finished putting everything up, never had more than a minute or two wait until something landed. It really got to be a lot of work and was a little too much for me.

14. Mdaymond

Jul 2, 2012
    #5134 Mdaymond, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    Thankyou NimbleTim! I checked about an hour before it ended, surprised I didn't drop any places! Thank's for letting me know.

And we're enjoying the support from you guys as well as the game remember :)

15. Pezmage

May 9, 2012
    Semi-out of work Lawyer
    Bay Area, California
    I'm not sure to be honest. I was thinking that this would have been the occasion where I would have been happy running Ps and Cs to be honest! I'm curious on how well it's going to work out for you, keep us posted.

16. Pezmage

May 9, 2012
    Semi-out of work Lawyer
    Bay Area, California
    #5136 Pezmage, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    How are you filling your planes? I think in this setup more is better and makes things go more smoothly.

So in Asia I have Beijing, Seoul and Tokyo all bottlenecking in Shanghai. So if I have one plane in all three of the ports behind Shanghai and they're all full that's going to be 30 random guys to Lima, Rio, Sao Paulo and Buenas. Odds are fairly good that when I unload all three in Shanghai, I'm going to make at least one full 10 to one of the South America stops. If I'm super lucky, with local jobbers I'll make 2. I send those two off, send the third one back to, oh, say, Tokyo, refill what whatever is there and head back to Shanghai. Odds are good that third one will now have a full load somewhere. Once all three are gone, I still have leftovers in Shanghai.

With 20 planes running I maintain about 30-40 layover slots in Shanghai and Rio at all times, just from the local jobbers not eating up layover slots. Since I started this going (And I would imagine it only takes one or two back and forths to prime the pump that I'll never have to do again) I've only once had a plane not able to fill when it landed in a bottleneck port.

The only time I wait for new job pulses is when I've been away from the game for like 2 hours and I have 2 or 3 Seqs in each of my cities.

17. Pezmage

May 9, 2012
    Semi-out of work Lawyer
    Bay Area, California
    I can just imagine the "PL012 HAS LANDED" spam that was going on with that set up!

Using Sequoias from South America to Asia I have a very very very long travel time. It takes somewhere around an hour and a half for them, once full, to go from one end to the other. With my 20 planes by the time I had the last plane going long distance the first plane I sent still had somewhere around 54 minutes left in its journey. So I figure if I'm running 40 planes by the time plane 40 is in the air plane 1 will have like... 15 mins left in its journey? Something like that.

I doubt I'll ever let it get to that point, truth told, since I was going nuts running 22 planes in a feeder heavy non-stop set up a week ago that caused me to switch over to this more laid-back Sequoias set up.

18. ChadsterUK

Jul 9, 2012
    IT Infrastructure
    Montreal
    I now have all planes in the air heading to Asia. Didn't take too much work to be honest and I think once I upgrade all airports in Asia and South America it will go even quicker.

19. Pezmage

May 9, 2012
    Semi-out of work Lawyer
    Bay Area, California
    A quick request for NimbleTim

Tim, if you're still around I have a request. Would it be possible to put information somewhere so that we can get an exact flight time, down to the second? Maybe in the plane info while it's in the air. It's data that would really only have to be collected once. I just really enjoy putting numbers together and figuring out how a plan is going to work in my head or on paper before putting it to the game. By not having exact times it makes it hard to see if things are going to link up really well or if there's going to be an almost 2 minute delay between them.

20. Mdaymond

Jul 2, 2012
    I second that. Would be a very helpful feature!