Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. fabytm

fabytm Active Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Timisoara, Romania
    I just realized that upgrading the speed of a plane makes it earn less money! :(

2. AceAlex.R

AceAlex.R Active Member

Jul 3, 2012
    #5962 AceAlex.R, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
    What route is better

LA-NY-LN-TH-BJ. Have LA-BJ thinking of changing to rio-Seoul
    Rio-kin-mum-seo

3. fabytm

fabytm Active Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Timisoara, Romania
    I also forgot to ask!Considering that you get less money per trip after upgrading the speed but getting more coins per hour, is it a good choice to upgrade your planes speed wise?

4. Spidubic

Spidubic Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I know the feeling. I play PP more that I likely should and yet I still cannot get anywhere near the top 10 when a big event is happening. I would play more but can only pull the phone out to play so much at work. :rolleyes:

On another note has anyone notice the huge increase in airport closures since this event started? Is Nimblebits perhaps trying to mix things up a bit? Get people to think more rather than brute force the event?

5. wolowizard

wolowizard Active Member

Jul 7, 2012
    It depends on your playstyle. If you're always checking in and constantly keeping planes in the air, then faster might be better. If you're more of a 'set it and forget it' player that often has planes sitting idle, slower is probably better.

6. Mdaymond

Mdaymond Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    #5966 Mdaymond, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
    Event

I love how you always seem to be in the top 10 and give the list of current places! I can see how much I need to catch up by! I intend to rock this event. I started a bit late but already up to #37 with 205 jobs delivered. Top 10 should be easy - will push for first :) Would you care to add me on game centre Faye? This way, our names will show up on the in-game leader board so we can see where the other is? Same applies to anyone else who would like to...!

Also, London AND Paris closed at the same time? Funny Nimblebit, very funny... lol.

Some of you may remember I was building a website for this game. This has been a bit delayed after having had to work a ridiculous amount of hours at work recently!!! Will put it up as soon as I can.

[EDIT]

Okay, the airport closures are killing me!

So far today: London and Paris at the same time, Chicago and now Rio De Janeiro for 60mins! I'm working in a triangle with 2 or more cities open at each point so can work around some what, but still...! I also noticed Jakarta was closed - every city that could be used for a route seems to be being closed at some point :)

7. Spidubic

Jun 26, 2012
    I have planes coming in from all corners of the globe for the event. Kinshasa, Lima, New York, Rio, and Buenos Aires are cities my event planes go to for pickups. They are filled by planes from other cities with whatever event items are available at the time. So I may get two from Tokyo, five more in Shanghai, two more in Bangalore. By the time the plane gets to Kinshasa or Rio they are full of event items.

Actually thinking I may have to scale back my event planes. Too much going on at quite the fast pace. Keep checking my phone. :)

8. NimbleTim

NimbleTim Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    We played a lot with airport classes including very expensive upgrades and automatic upgrades based on use and nothing ever felt right. In the end the only thing that felt right was having to use strategy to work around set airport classes.

Trip costs are calculated on the fly based on the current planes stats so you change one and it changes the cost

Code:
    (int)leg.distance*(([tripPlane planeSpeed]*1*[tripPlane planeWeight]*100)/40000)

Using the carbon fiber upgrade should counter most of the cost increase since it lowers the weight at the same rate.

9. Spidubic

Jun 26, 2012
    I like the airport as they are. To give each player the ability to upgrade a class 1 or 2 to a 2 or 3 would add a lot of confusion and in the end possibly give someone a huge advantage during some events. Airport class being based on city population is the cleanest easiest way to do it.

10. coastcat

coastcat Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Half of my fleet is sitting in Rio right now. Foggy, foggy Rio.

11. Spidubic

Jun 26, 2012
    I have seen more closures today than since I started playing.

12. Som yung gai

Som yung gai Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks!
    All these closures are preventing me from sending Class 2 aircraft into Euro/Asia. My current route is LA<->Chicago<->London(Paris)<->Moscow<->Beijing(Manila) Getting over 15k coins in profit using Sequoias.

13. runmymouth

runmymouth New Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Help for a newbie? What planes should I be aiming for? Where should I be looking to expand to? Should I aim for faster planes? Lighter planes? More capacity planes?

Cities I own,
    London (Europe)
    Paris (Europe)
    Berlin (Europe)
    St Petersburg (Europe)
    Algiers (Africa)
    Lagos (Africa)
    Recife (South America)
    Salvador (South America)
    Rio De Janiero (South America)

Planes I own,
    Kangaroo (P) X3
    Kangaroo (C) X1
    Birchcraft(M) X5
    Mohawk (C) x1

14. Som yung gai

Higher capacity is (mostly) always better. Once you get the Pearjet, begin transatlantic flights using NY and Boston. Those flights are more profitable than going down thru Africa and S.America.

15. Faye Valentine

Faye Valentine Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    We understand that you are creating the website during your free time and appreciate any time and effort you put into it. This sort of thing takes much more time that most people can imagine. Perhaps you can let us know if there is anything we can do to help?

Ok so it's not just MY imagination that there have been more airport outages in recent days! Most of them have been at my main/hub airports or "pass through" airports. I try to keep a relatively low number of airports, but also keep some nearby ones to work around these situations. I can really notice the increased difficulty in loading my planes after added a few new airports. Cluttered/diluted job listing. (I had to re-buy Rio, Kinshasa, and Mumbai for the Salvador event).

I woke up this morning and found my ranking dropped down to #11, have been fluctuating between #10 & #11 all morning. My ranking will prolly drop by the end of the event, I'll be happy to finish in the Top 250. My playing style is more "set it and forget it" which is why I'm sending Salvador peeps from as far away as Tokyo. Going from Asia to Salvador is not a problem, but I'm having a problem filling up my plane and sending it back to Asia. :-/ Same with London, easier to go London-to-Salvador than Salvador-to-London. OK I guess I have the same issue going Salvador-to-NY but it isn't as bad as London or Asia. And Salvador is fully upgraded too.

Woohoo! I just noticed I jumped up to #7 with 606 jobs. How did that happen? Won't expect that to last long. LOL

Wow I can't believe I typed all this from my phone. iPhone autocorrection can be annoying at times.

16. runmymouth

runmymouth New Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Should I dump south america africa after the event? What is a good city/plane ratio to keep?

17. Faye Valentine

Faye Valentine Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    I have done both those routes separately and concurrently.
    The job list is more manageable with one route instead of two.
    Try it out if you've reached a point where money is it not a problem (that is, it isn't going to hurt too much to close a bunch of airports and open a new set of airports).
    I get bored in this game and am constantly changing things around, it keeps things more interesting.

18. gonzoblair

gonzoblair Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Like the classic Twilight Zone episode? That's awesome does anyone have a screenshot of this.

19. Som yung gai

Then turn it off in the settings.

20. Mdaymond

Mdaymond Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Thanks! The only thing I can think of that would help is if anyone wanted to put forward content for the website. So if anyone wanted to write a strategy for beginners, intermediates, experts etc. Anything at all to do with the game - hints, tips, what you'd like to see in the game, your opinions on the planes, bux system, world events. Literally anything. Think of it as writing a personal review to yourself about the game!

If anyone want's to contribute in this way, send anything to me via private messages here, or contact me for more info on the categories that will be on the website :D

As I said in my last post, I'm currently working in a triangle with a pretty darn good setup! I was #37th earlier, now I'm up to #11th in the crew with 511 jobs. I *have* to go to a birthday now for the evening so will explain the method I'm using when I get back for anybody that may be interested!

And indeed Faye, I wondered where you'd gone to! You were 3 places above me and the disappeared up the tables! I'm hot on your tail though :) Also - Kudos on typing your whole post from the iPhone!!!