Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    #11841 Snowbird, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    Thank you for taking the time to type all this out! I will add this link to our FAQ when I get back to the computer.

Edit: green_paper beat me to it :)

2. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Great!
    I concur on the rarity of the different planes.

On the usefulness, I'd add:

Blimp : slow so great profit , good range, very useful earner in the earlier levels under 20.
    Sea Knight : one of the best class 1 planes, I still use a lot of them for events. Because of the uneven P/C split, you might have to add a P only plane to go with a bunch of SK.
    Mapples : the best class 1 all around plane. Never have enough.

Concorde: fastest high capacity class 3 plane, the high P/C imbalance is a negative. dream plane though.
    C130: robust class 3 plane, good earner. Great design, but you could just use Sequoias.
    Kkruiser: cargo only but very good fast class 1 plane. Useful on cargo only events.

Huey: SK is better.
    Starship: very fast, barely profitable. use on short distance (London-Paris likes) or for fast Bux transfer. Tip (cost coins) :if you got a big Bux job in an airport without plane, send an empty starship, boost it for 1 Bux and collect the Bux job.
    Balloon : collector's item, but useable for pure profit (extremely slow)

P40, bobcat : collector's item only. Not much of a use.

3. thefantasyicon

thefantasyicon Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    So I've been lurking and didn't think I'd have anything relevant since so much has been covered...but I do. If you are playing on Android if you long press the load button it will unload all the passengers. After grinding for about a month and click,click,clicking...finding this really saved me some time, just wish I'd have found it before last night.
    2nd thing is that if you decide to unload all, don't do it to all the planes at the same time or you too may end up with 4 or 5 airports where you have 0/60 layovers when you used to have 40+ in each. :mad:
    Thanks to VicSark and Castle for guiding my play along when I thought I was screwing everything up!:D

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks! I added this, and thanks green_paper for adding the other post!

5. tfrichards92

tfrichards92 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Bux Collection delivery?

Alright, I get the SEQM-Seoul and Shanghai, the SP/RdJ pair and the cross-connect in Cairo/Istanbul...
    I understand how you collect bux in each city and then swap/layover the planes...

How do the actual deliveries get done? When/how do you send a plane in each direction to deliver?

xl: 28 (94k short of 29)
    $: 556k
    bux: 3200

thanks in advance...

6. alyssacroacia

alyssacroacia Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    ok then...I'll PM my post on the last page to CastlePage...

7. Spike3187

Spike3187 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2012
    UK
    CastlePage gave you a *very* useful post a few pages back, that you seem to have ignored completely. Maybe go and have a look at that and see where you can go from there. Everyone has given you the same advice of not setting up a bux run just yet, until you have more planes, and more coins in the bank. You *will* make coin losses if only focusing on bux collection.

I would find it and quote it for you, but I'm on my phone atm.

8. Spike3187

Spike3187 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2012
    UK
    Personally, send a plane when you have enough jobs to the same location to fill it (get the 25% bonus) I'm guessing from the way you worded your question you are using twin hubs, afraid I haven't got much experience with them so would probablly get a better answer off someone who does use them.

9. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Dino Theme Park event

Has anyone ever seen the Dino Theme Park event (an obvious nod to Jurassic Park) not be held in San Jose, Costa Rica? Over the holidays, it popped up again for a 12 hour individual event, and I was managed to get 839 jobs delivered before Lima shut down for the last hour, grr....

Anyway, I had thought that individual events were somewhat random, but it occured to me that I have only ever seen the dive trip in logical warm water places like Honolulu, Palu, etc. and I have only ever seen the Dino Theme Park in San Jose.

Does anybody have a counter-example to this theory?

10. seattleheli

seattleheli Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    #11850 seattleheli, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    Following the advice posted here, I have decided to focus on coins and the 25% bonus instead of bux at the moment. I am level 24 with 15 plane slots, 686K coins, and 266 bux (have been buying sequoias). My 15 slots consist of 11 Sequoias, 2 Tetras, 1 AeroEagle, and 1 Birchcraft. My airports are LA/NY, Paris/London, Istanbul, and Seoul/Shanghai.

My question is the following: would you recommend spending the coins on more slots before spending them on upgrading all my current airports, or vice versa? I know that I need to eventually do both, but unsure of which to do first. The airports that need upgrading are Paris, Istanbul, and Shanghai. I do also plan to open Rio/Sao Paulo for bux strategy in the future. Should I do this now or later?

Also, should I spend my current low amount of bux buying more Sequoia parts, or should I save them, with the thought that I have a decent amount of Sequoias already?

If I receive advice to go with more plane slots first, what planes should I use? More Sequoias? Wait for Cloudliners?

Thanks for the advice, all. You guys have been a huge help.

11. green_paper

green_paper Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Vancouver
    I would upgrade your airports first (Shanghai first, because it's on one end of your route). They will generate more jobs (both coin & Bux) to help you achieve the 25% bonus easier, and increase the number of layover spots (for the future, if/when you decide to focus on Bux jobs).

I think you're doing ok with the number of Sequoias - but I'd be tempted to buy Sequioa parts as they show up in the marketplace... :)

12. seattleheli

Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks, green_paper - you pretty much voiced my thoughts, or what I was leaning towards. I figured I could have all the plane slots in the world, but without the jobs to fill them, what's the point? Might as well upgrade first. And yes, those Sequoia parts are extremely tempting - but I wanted to make sure I wasn't spending my bux unwisely or in an untimely manner.

What's your opinion on timing with regard to opening/upgrading Rio and Sao Paulo?

I'll wait for a couple others to chime in before I make any moves, but I really appreciate your advice.

13. CastlePage

CastlePage Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Hi Aly, I just woke up. I was sleeping while you were posting :)

I feel that you should have a decent number of planes and coins before you start on the bux strategy. 18 is an arbitrary number:
    For bux strategies:
    - you need at least one plane per airport (two planes if you're going for P/C pairs) collecting bux
    - some planes to transport the bux if you choose the transportation method. In any case, you need to have some extra planes to take over those flying in the air
    - some planes for doing the global event
    The more plane slots you have, the easier it will be to do the bux strategy as you have that flexibility.

Yes, you should buy more sequoias. Slowly shop for the parts at the market. Sequoias are very good as bux planes because they are cheap to fly and can cross the atlantic ocean without upgrades (e.g. they can fly tokyo-tehran) without upgrades.

As for the mix of sequoias, up to you. 10 sequoias is also an arbitrary number. I'm just setting up so goals for you to work towards :) You might want to decide which bux strategy (there are several bux strategies posted on the resource page) and then work out how many planes you need and which type.

As for the what-if scenarios:
    You want to maxmimize 25% bonus as much as possible to earn maximum coins. It is very hard to ignore a bux job (say London job) when it pops up, so you can drop it off at Tehran and fly 25% bonus from Tehran to LA.

If you are at Tokyo and a London or NY bux job appears, pick it up and drop it at Tehran. At Tehran, fill your planes with LA jobs to get the 25% bonus from Tehran to LA. You can fly direct to LA, no need to stop at London and NY.

If you are at NY and a London or Tehran job appears, pick it up and drop it at NY. At NY, fill your planes with Tokyo jobs to get the 25% bonus from NY to Tokyo.

When there's no more room for layovers at Tehran and NY, you can then easily load a plane completely filled with bux jobs and deliver them (and have fun watching the your bux count go up).

You want to upgrade your airports to lvl 3: Tokyo, LA, Tehran, NY. If you still have coins, upgrade London.

What do you do when you have 18 plane slots, at least 10 sequoias (more if you like), 1 million coins ? You are ready for bux strategy :)

We're all anxious about your BP and health, so do take care of yourself ok? :)

14. alyssacroacia

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA

"Thanks," but you're kinda wrong. I read and followed CastlePage's advice. BUT - I still have many questions. Is that so wrong? If you have read a handful of my posts, you'd be fully aware that even though these awesome TA1 PP players give me (and everyone else) such wonderful, helpful advice, most of the time I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. So, I write out my issue, and ask more questions and post more posts. So EXCUUUUUUUUUSE ME! that you THINK I've ignored CastlePage. wrong. I absolutely trust and admire this particular PP player. I'm SORRY if YOU are such a genius and understand everything about this game and everything everyone says. I don't. I need extra help. Extra attention. SORRRRRRRRRRRYYYY!!!!

I've decided, for your convenience, Spike3187, to keep my annoying, rude posts to private messages, so I won't disrespect anyone else. OK?:rolleyes:

15. green_paper

Jul 18, 2012
    Vancouver
    If you need more jobs and you're up for the challenge, I think you could pull off opening up Rio/Sao Paulo.

However, in order to get a straight route from those two cities to Seoul/Shanghai, you will need 2 additional class 3 cities (so you'd be opening a total of 4 class 3 airports at a cost of $50,000 each). With my Sequoias, I use Kinshasa and Mumbai as the two intermediate airports. I just checked that Sequoias can make those distances without range upgrades.

16. seattleheli

Nov 28, 2012
    On the flip side, Aly, keep posting up your questions publicly. I, for one, am using the advice you receive for my own strategy as well. It is beneficial to many people who perhaps are just lurking in the background and reading.

I think spike just misunderstood and didn't realize you were following Castle's advice. No biggie.

17. seattleheli

Nov 28, 2012
    I think I was reading one of Vic's old posts and he stated that a fully range-upgraded Sequoia can reach Istanbul from Rio. All my sequoias are range-upgraded to level 2. So it'd just be one more upgrade, and probably just for a few Sequoias until I attain more bux. I'll go double check on the Rusty Snowman tool though.

EDIT: Just checked Rusty Snowman and it looks like a fully range-upgraded Sequoia will reach Rio but not Sao Paulo from Istanbul. Perhaps I will wait until I have Cloudliners or Cyclones to open up those two airports.

18. alyssacroacia

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    M vs. P/C

See...I don't know what everyone's talking about!

My Mixed planes are picking up SO many more items than my Passenger and Cargo planes combined!!

So I don't get it. What do you guys see in P/C planes?

(btw I'm flying my Sequoia's LA to Tokyo back and forth to collect coins)

19. seattleheli

Nov 28, 2012
    I believe it's simply for ease of scrolling (you don't have to scroll through both P and C jobs, just one or the other). I'm with you though, I like the M planes better because I know I'm not missing anything. I've got 11 Sequoias and 9 of them are M.

20. green_paper

Jul 18, 2012
    Vancouver
    My only complaint about Istanbul is that the South America-Asia route won't be as straight.

However, you've got me thinking - if I can replace Tehran with Istanbul, I could close Kinshasa & Mumbai, reducing my number of permanent airports and giving me a sharper focus on Bux collecting. However, my current setup gives me a good spread of class 3 cities as layover spots to handle a wide variety of global event cities.

That shouldn't be a problem - just make your Sequoia go from Istanbul-Rio-Sao Paolo. Adding the extra hop won't cost you too much. :)

And just a word of warning - Cloudliners are a HUGE investment, so you will need many more Bux to get those up & running!