Universal Pocket RPG - (by Tasty Poison / Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Difficulty levels would also be appreciated.

2. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    I'd prefer oodles of content (new maps/character roster expansion/new skills) over multiplayer.

3. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Oh, and another thing. I've noticed I respawn if I have an ankh or not. There does not seem to be permanent death.

4. Evan.Greenwood

Evan.Greenwood Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    Yes... I am building a in-quest moves screen... I could also do a encyclopedia-type menu? I don't know what the best way to explain things necessarily is...?

I could also place more tips for the characters the first time they activate effects... like when you pick up a green potion it tells you "This makes all the nearby enemies bezerk"... And when you see the spitting gargoyle heads for the first time it could pan over and say "These statues seem to spit noxious fluids... avoid standing in front of them."... that kind of thing.

5. Rage1776

Rage1776 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    First, take some time off. Enjoy your weekend and hopefully your team comes back Monday with a couple hundred thousand dollars in your pocket. You guys deserve it.

Second, I didn't like the game at first because I couldn't carry over my character. I "get it" now and enjoy it for what it is. Interesting concept.

6. Evan.Greenwood

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    #146 Evan.Greenwood, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
    Thanks Tommet! (About the things you pointed out... Looking into them...)

That effect is due to a couple of conditions. The first condition is that you're probably on the first level on an advanced map (a side mission or a replayed map) and so you're gaining loads of XP and leveling up many times one after each other. (I'm going to adjust this, I wanted these maps to be harder, but the resulting XP gain is ridiculous).

The other condition is that you've unlocked Level Up Rampage, which is exponential... so after several level ups you're doing 100 times normal damage... The problem is that you shouldn't level up this often.

It should probably be explained better, the loss of items is a bit sudden, and if you haven't been reading those screens, unexpected. I think I'm going to try ease the concept in a bit better before the iPhone release.

Thanks for the compliment Rage!

7. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    That happened to me too. I actually selected Resume to see what would happen, and it started a game with a ranger.

Tommet, you can definitely die, I've done it. Any chance you grabbed another ankh and didn't realize it?

8. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    There is also a necklace/amulet that gives you an extra life - perhaps you were carrying or using one of those without realizing what it did.

9. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    And another... Seems like when selling things back to the trader, sometimes I get charged for selling him things.

10. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Pretty sure I didn't have an ankh or necklace, and it happened a couple of times in a row. But maybe.

11. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    #151 Tommet, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
    You're welcome. You guys did a fantastic job with this, the concept is terrific. I'm also very happy to see you guys here corresponding with the users. Frankly, I think this title is already tons of fun and has massive potential. Sounds like it's only going to get better from here. :)

And thanks for the explanation, that makes perfect sense. Btw, it's also extremely fun. You might not want to tone it down too much... :)

12. Mfox76

Mfox76 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Amazing game, well worth the wait. Great job! My favorite by far on the platform...even at it's early stages, caint wait to see what's added over time...game has unlimited potential...anyone on the fence go buy this one now:)

13. Rage1776

Rage1776 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    You could likely tackle this with a little story that is presented when you click on a new adventure.

Adventure 1:You are a hired gun exploring a rancid dungeon.

Adventure 2: Separated from your party, you must wade through hordes of enemies to find your way home.

Etc.

It at least segments each adventure. That and get rid of the dotted lines to the next quest. That screams "next level" when in reality it is a completely separate journey.

14. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    How long will the launch sale last? I won't have access to a Wifi connection until Saturday, and I don't want to miss the sale.

15. Evan.Greenwood

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    That's a really good idea Rage! We wanted to make it look like a progression, but in actual fact we should have made it look separate...

What about keeping the missions unconnected, but dividing the map into territories? Although I fear that would also look an awful lot like a campaign...

I'm gonna get Filip to give it a shot.

16. Evan.Greenwood

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    I'll look into this... I'm not certain, but what could be happening is that you're exchanging two weapons (which can happen if your inventory is full or you are trying to sell a weapon that can't be unequipped)... And if the shop item is worth more you would effectively be losing gold...

I'll look and see if there is a bug there... but it might just be normal behaviour.

17. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I had is happen, too, until I realized what I had done.

I was selling things to the merchant and his inventory filled up. I was just dragging things quickly from my inventory to his, and I noticed my gold went down instead of up. That's when I realized that I had dragged items on top of items in his inventory, so it sold the item I wanted to sell, but also bought the item I dragged it on top of.

That may not be the same situation you had, but I figured I would mention it. It definitely caught me by surprise, as I didn't expect it.

18. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    For the developer: I notice that the text between levels (ie. That shows up and tells you how much gold you have, how many secrets found, etc.) is cramped together (margins too wide), so some of the text is actually running into or being partially cut off by the next bit of text. Hope that made sense.

Wow, the fourth quest (or fourth one I did), with battling the eye creature was tough. I died multiple times - but I kept finding the ankh and I made sure I had the amulet charged up, so I had several shots at the bad guy while still in the same quest. Everytime I died twice, I noticed you needed more enemy kills to charge up the amulet (and you must have it equipped). Good thing there was one of those creatures that spit out endless bugs. Just kept killing dozens of bugs till I got the required amount, then killed he big creature. I like how when you die but have the ankh, you keep your same level and equipment. By the time you get back to the boss again, you are potentially up a few levels. By dying multiple times fighting him, I levelled up quite a bit - 17 when I finally killed him.

In the third quest, I got to level 22. I wonder what the highest level is you can get to?

Does each character have totally different equipment and skills that ou can level up? If so, that adds so much more depth than I originally thought this game had.

Developers: after you finish the whole game, do you just replay/retry the levels again, or is there a random level generator? If not, that would be a cool feature to add in future updates.

19. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    I finished the first quest which I found hard! I couldn't finish on a Mage but could on a Dark Ranger. What is the purpose of accumulating Gold and an armory when they DISAPPEAR when each quest begins? There is no guarantee I will ever get the loot I spent my gold on, so I don't understand why even put it there??? It's very frustrating to start from level 0 again and lose some good stuff. It's all dungeon with no RPG that I can see yet honestly. Where is a feeling of progression or am I missing something?

I really want to like this game! It looks great on my iPad 2 and the controls are fairly good. It seems too hard in places and again, don't understand an armory for loot that you may or not gain again. I like Earning loot and this just takes away from that. Yes, I have read prior posts but until I played, I didn't realize how it would be starting fresh each time. Don't get me wrong, random dungeons are great but THIS? I'm disappointed...:(

20. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    You will quickly find loot much better than what you had before. Try to think of each quest as its own little adventure.

Grizzly, yes the characters have different skills. Also, once you hit a certain point, you can replay the earlier levels with all new (tough!) enemies. I tried the first level again and got smoked.