Pocket Trains - (by NimbleBit)[Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoboBoto

RoboBoto Well-Known Member

May 1, 2012
    Ignore my earlier comment about selling spare parts, found it.

2. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    So, two questions.
    1. When abouts are you aiming for release?
    2. How different is this from pocket planes?

3. acerlyte

acerlyte Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Great to hear how everyone is finding it, thanks for posting up your thoughts and I think it'll be very helpful for the Nimblebit guys. I'd apply for beta but I don't think I'd be able to give as much good info as some of the other folks here. Looking forward to release though, sounds like its much more involved than Pocket planes and for the better. Besides, trains are awesome :)

4. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    First of all,thanks Nimblebit for the beta invite!
    Right from the start this is a bit more complicated and strategic than pocket planes. The tutorial is brief and making wrong descisions early when claiming tracks really gives you "damn, i shouldn't have done that" moments. Fortunately reclaiming tracks is easy as pie and nothing that a few rides can't solve. Enough rides provide plenty of bux,my pile is growing even when i open every crate i get. The cargo wagons are adorable and it's a real joy to check them all out.
    My main and perhaps only complaint at this moment ( lvl 4 ) would be that i can't put off notifications. And my girl hates the sound of the notification. She says it sounds more like the closing of a crossway ( she's checking to make sure i said that here ;) ). Really enjoying it so far,great work!

5. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    You can disable notifications in the Notification Center of System Settings under Pocket Trains, specifically sounds on/off.

6. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Right,thanks! I'm a bit sick and not too bright at the moment^^.

7. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Sorry but I sent the wrong email. I don't know the password for that one
    PM will be sent with new email.

8. FortyOneNY

FortyOneNY Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I just received my code and attempted to install on my devices. I tried my iPad (original, iOS 5.1.1) first as I'd prefer the larger screen, but after opening the app it gets stuck on loading and the option to confirm the beta code never came up. I then installed on my iPod (4th gen, iOS 6.1.3) and the confirm dialog popped up right away. I realize this may not be an issue for a launch version, but wanted to mention it anyway.

9. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    First impressions: this is better than pocket planes by a lot. Runs without lag on my ancient iPod touch 4. Prefer the theme of this as well.

10. rebartsch

rebartsch Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2012
    To the gang at Nimblebit (Thanks Again...Really Enjoying the game)

Now for some questions you may or may not want to answer:

Will all Daily Events be geared toward your personnel setup? i.e. If I did not have Milan open today would the event be to a Open Station or would I have to open Milan to play it?

I see the Bux to Coins Bank exchange rate changes daily...Have you given any thought to having the amount of Bux needed to open a Crate changing daily?

Will I be able to use/upgrade this Beta Version to the Live version or will I need to start over when you go Live?

Thank you in advance for all your help!!! Cheers and have a great day!

11. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I think there should be a notification for fully refuelled trains.

12. FortyOneNY

FortyOneNY Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I'm really enjoying this so far. I love TT/PP, but this is a bit more complex with many things to consider before 'flinging' trains around the map. It runs nicely on my iPod 4th gen; no lag or hiccups that were noticeable. I did wonder what the gold circle with the ! on it was on Munich, but I saw the post earlier in the thread mentioning that was the daily event notifier. Was that mentioned in the brief tutorial? If not, it might be worth mentioning for people that don't figure it out right away.

I love the style and the designs of all the different train cars! I can see myself keeping this open at times to get the flying coins/bux more often than I do with PP. The trees whizzing past, smoke/steam, and the sounds of the train moving make it interesting enough to wait and tap while going from one place to the next. PP's quiet sound and slight bouncing in the air just made me sleepy. :eek:

Another thing I like is the way new stations appear one you've opened another. I opened London (thinking that the game just had the initial small area of track for testing) and was pleasantly surprised when two more stations became available.

13. Relharn

Relharn Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm finding it challenging, in a fun way, to balance the desire/need to extend existing train lines, with opening new ones. A minimum of 3 cities per line appears to be a minimum for decent job numbers. I'm currently operating (at level 7) with six trains - four with 3 cities, and two with 4 cities. Perhaps when I eventually get an Express with more capacity than the Steamers, more stops on a line may be necessary.

One comment/request I do have is confirmations for certain bux-spending situations. I inadvertently refueled a train using bux when I meant to cancel out of the refueling window. An "are you sure" button would be nice in this situation, as it would be in the repair window when choosing between coins and parts.

14. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    Still rolling without problems. :)

I just find one minor thing (not a bug): when you open the game while listening music, it stops your song even if you have "Music off" selected.
    But really, not a bug so far!

15. Train2000

Train2000 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Been checking this site non-stop for 2 weeks, I go away for Labor Day and betas roll out? I sent a PM request. Would love to join. Thanks.

16. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    Thanks for the invite Nimblebit! Any idea when the next beta is releasing?

17. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Possibly today, certainly this week. We're on the 10th beta build so there aren't any huge changes left.

18. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time selecting the destination stations on my iPhone 5.

Also, sorry about my freemium comments. I would consider playing this game after beta freemium or not. I'm totally happy to pay for content however freemium gets into my crawl because it brings the wrong level complexity into a game.

19. Slightlynorth

Slightlynorth Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    I played pretty much non-stop last night and am loving it so far.

It is a lot more difficult to expand quickly, and I have a feeling the cost will ratchet up enough that we will have to put some thought into how/where our rail lines will go. I am really looking forward to that. Currently, here is my list of notes as I have been going along:

1. Not being able to see a friend list makes the game feel very unsocial. Is there a plan to at least put in a leaderboard or some more social aspects? Or will this just be using game center?

2. I wish I could modify the train colors.

3. The daily event is pretty cool, but kind of easy and a solo project. Is there a plan to put something in global events like we had in Pocket Planes?

4. The balance between bux and coins is a lot better now. I don't feel the need to horde bux to turn them in for coins. Well played.

5. The bux to coin exchange rate is static now, but appears to fluctuate daily. I like this.

6. I LOVE that job values are no longer solely based on distance. It took me a couple of train loads to realize that you have to actually LOOK though the job lists because there may be a higher value job with less cars on it going to the same location.

That is all I have for now. I don't think I have discovered any bugs or any place where the game didn't react in the way I expected.

20. kapshin

kapshin Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    KC, MO
    I see the Google Sync option, does that mean I will be able to sync my saved game between Android and iOS devices by chance? (Have an iPhone 5 and an Android tablet).