Universal Polara - (by Hope This Works)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Platyrrhine, Oct 10, 2012.

1. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Here's the AppSpy review on youtube. It gives a view into other levels that other video reviews have failed to show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7TEzkhwN0I

Also Jayisgames.com ( http://jayisgames.com/archives/2012/10/polara.php ) posted a great review as well, explaining the amount of content:

"A surprisingly full-featured game for a genre that is traditionally very repetitive and void of content. It also doesn't hurt that the artwork looks fantastic! Plenty to experience the first time around, but even more once you start unlocking extras and trying out the new modes of play!"

And over at MoDojo ( http://www.modojo.com/reviews/android/polara/ ) again sums up the experience pretty well:

"The gameplay gets pretty complex after a few levels of play, and you'll quickly abandon the notion that this might be your standard jump and run game. The development team made good use of the color switching mechanic to activate or avoid all sorts of environmental objects, some of which are hazardous, but some of which are either useful or necessary for completing the stage. And just wait until you see some of these boss battles!

A surprisingly full-featured game for a genre that is traditionally very repetitive and void of content. It also doesn't hurt that the artwork looks fantastic! Plenty to experience the first time around, but even more once you start unlocking extras and trying out the new modes of play!"

We are hearing that our game is full of a lot of content, gameplay and brilliant design. Yes the game WAS a dollar and is now 2.99 but the title is well worth the price, I guarantee it.

2. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    ^

Very well deserved!
    Congratz. :)

3. .THOTH.

.THOTH. Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Credit counselor :(
    Tacoma, WA
    Perfected 40 levels now 10 more to go! Mustering up all my veteran game skills to complete them all, the concentration you need in this game is just intense, I love it!!

4. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    What I still don't understand is that Polara gets awesome Reviews on almost every site and everyone on here ( including me) thinks that this is a gem with a lot of content but still there are only 500 people on the gc-leaderboards.. It's a shame

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think somebody said here (dev maybe?) that until you play an endless game, you wont show up on the leaderboards. Can anyone confirm?

6. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Well yeah, according to the Gravity Wave leaderboard, for example, there are are only 79 players.

7. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    So far so good! Though there are quite a lot more reviews than that... weird how they don't accept TouchArcade's review... Anyway if there are any questions on this game's worth, all you have to do is take a look at the reviews and the user reviews on itunes! :)

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/polara/critic-reviews

8. Yeah, good scores.

But anyone know why Toucharcade reviews aren't a part of metacritic? I always thought TA was fairly used and respected. I see a lot of smaller sites on it, why not TA?

9. SirFobos

SirFobos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Police Officer
    Kansas City
    Got a chance to get my hands on this one due to a mysterious benefactor. The game is top grade. Makes me think of an "Outland" runner. I'm very surprised how fresh this runner feels and the different modes really keep you saying just one more run. Overall I'm very impressed with the art style, from the cutscenes to the overall style of the game. Fantastic job with the game! Will be coming back to this one for a very long time! It just seems like the developer really hit the mark on every part of this game, which most iOS developers struggle to achieve.

10. Nemer

Nemer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    College/Part job
    Far far away
    Yay achievement unlocked.... 500 deaths :(

11. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yeah, that's right, normal play doesn't feature on Game Center, apart from Achivements, (of which there are a few challenging and interesting ones, check them out).

The Endless Modes have separate leaderboards, and I think most people wants to beat normal play and collect all the letters and Specials first, before attempting to beat the records on the Random Modes.
    That's how I've been playing the game anyway.

I've started to get some good scores on the Endless Modes today, especially Super Speed mode is really challenging to me.. Currently I'm holding a #15 spot on GC, that was hard, my eyes were burning after that run, I literally didn't have time to blink, it was that fast!

I think you sort of have to beat normal game to acquire the skill set to be any good in the Endless Modes..
    Also, several doesn't unlock until you've played most of the normal game through.

I've been playing through all but Random Insane, which I haven't unlocked yet, and they're all very fun and challenging.

Absolutely great game, I really love it.
    Actually, I hope the Developers next game will be a sequel to this one...

12. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Back on sale for 99 cents! Do not miss this folks unless you can not stand a challenge.

13. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Next update will address iPhone 5 support and should be submitted shortly for processing. Ipad3 is goin to take me a little longer to do as I basically have to go back and make all the textures again hahah gotta love production during hardware cycles...ugh :)

14. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    What about Ipad 4/iPad Mini? Hah, I think this puts to rest claims that Android is harder to manage due to varying screen sizes/CPU etc. Apple just made things a whole lot more difficult for developers.

15. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    I haven't fully looked into the specs yet but from what I see the iPad mini runs on iPad 2 res. 1024x768 , just sized to its screen size so should be fine :)

And yes all of this hardware makes its really aggravating, I won't lie it's made me punch my desk a few times hahaha ;)

16. Cool, hope to see retina ipad graphics, after all the ipad 4 is coming out soon and there will be more demand for ipad retina games.

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Yes if you think 3 dollars is too much for this, now is the time to get it. Best color changing implementation ever

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    ...then you're an idiot and should be burned and died. Seriously. $3 for the sheer amount of content in this gem, with not a single appearance of in-app purchases/consumables of any kind is a complete steal. I'm going to pull a Gabrien here and tell everyone who doesn't already own this to wait until this goes back to full price and then buy it.

19. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Now that's the spirit!! :D

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    @HTWGames

Is there a chance you might get time to make multiple user profiles for Polara in the future?
    There's more than one in my household, and they would like to play the game from the start, collecting all the letters and specials, but I've done every level and collected everything, and I sure don't want to delete my current save.

I got the game for my iPhone too, just to be able to play from the start again myself..

I really wish all iOS games had multiple player profiles...

To the rest of TA Polara players:

I'm currently holding the #2 spot on the Gravity Wave leaderboards.. Anyone care to beat that score before I'm going for #1 spot? :D