Universal Polara - (by Hope This Works)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Platyrrhine, Oct 10, 2012.

1. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    could you release a demo? I keep hearing praise for this game but from videos It looks kind of repetitive.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This post could answer HTW's question.

3. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Maybe you should release a lite version with 10 levels.. 5 easy levels and 5 harder levels. Don't give the full version away for free, I think this would be the wrong decision

4. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    #364 HTWGames, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    This has been a discussion within the company... lite versions tend to get overlooked. There is another major focus around lite versions and that is: what do we offer the end user in order for them to understand what the game is about.

More so we want to make sure that a lite version would be worth the time. A lot of time and effort was put into the level design. But this is interesting... you still want a demo even though the media has said the game is great, a number of users have said it's amazing, 83+ 5 star reviews, 16+ 4-star reviews, only 3 sub 2star reviews, plus it was on for only a dollar for a few weeks and there was a 30 code giveaway in this forum including a second title if you tweeted about it.

There's something to be said about that... all of the support around the game isn't being believed.

My honest answer is this... this game couldn't be any less repetitive. There was painstaking time taken to design every level so that it not only flows extremely well, but also continually stimulates the user with new patterns, physics shifts, boss battles, new obstacles, and ingenious design. And then once you've finished the storyline, it begs you to play it again, making you play slightly different with a different strategy for collection to open up 6 more endless modes that have different focus as well. I'm not boasting or being a jerk here, ask anyone that has the game if it gets boring or repetitive and I guarantee they will say the game is addictive and clever.

It never would have got Editor's Choice at 148apps.com and Game of the Week here, and called possible Game of the Year from NVidias news team on nVision, if it was really repetitive.

I guarantee you will have fun :)

PS: That's not to say we aren't still discussing a lite version.

5. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I agree. Go ask on the developers forum if you want, but I think going free so soon is only worthwile if you have IAPs. I personally like lite versions for games that I am on the fence about.

And 99c_gamer, the dev is correct, the game is absolutely not repetitive. In fact, it is almost the opposite of that. All levels are really different from eachother, and there are multiple goals within each level (just finish it, find all the letters, find the special object), and even the endless modes are not more of the same but each offer a different challenge and feel really different from eachother. I haven't spend so much time with a game in ages. And I'm not a fan of endless runners anymore because to me they usually do start to feel repetitive after a while, or start to feel all the same.

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    The backgrounds are the only thing that is kind of repetitive... The rest, not at all, there are tons of different mechanic involing the two colors to discover. I can go on and on, get Polara, its fantastic.

7. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Spot on. This game is the exact opposite of repetitive.

8. I agree, this game has a lot of diversity from this color switching ability. Looking at videos, it may not show it, but the color matching gets very frantic and makes the game quite challenging and fun. That also makes for good replayeability since you will want better funs, to get all the letters, or run with less deaths. Cause this game is frantic, you will die a lot, so it is fun to just replay some levels to get better results. Not just an endless runner type game, it actually has a lot of puzzle and thinking elements to it too which you can't get from the videos.

9. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Electric Playground has put up their review of our title. Feels great to be recognized on syndicated television... although it doesn't feel like the app was completely given the review time it deserves and was in fact described as having some janky controls...which is entirely not true so...unfortunate but still pretty cool!

http://epdaily.tv/all/type-of/reviews/polara-ios/

BTW the game has just gone on sale in celebration of making it on to television. Also for all the fence sitters out there we will be releasing a demo as soon as we can!

10. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #370 defred34, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    U mad bro? Your name is a 99c gamer. Go get it already!

It looks repetitive due to the environments. I have mentioned before that this is THE ONLY problem with Polara. Everything else is perfect. This is the polar opposite (no pun) of repetitive. Depth, variation and level design are off the wall the best in any kind of a game I've played. No kidding dude.

PS: Dear devs, I am so sad seeing the Google Play graph of Polara. Some day, when we have kids and grandchildren, they will look back at Polara as a classic n the realm of gaming. This is my believe,,,

UPDATE: I posted this reply w/o reading other replies above. And they say it all in the exact words I said here. How incredible.

11. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    #371 operaguy2112, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    His complaint here is silly. You can see in the video the reason he doesn't make the jumps is that he is the wrong color on those platformers. This game has some of the most precise controls out there.

I was also concerned this game would be repetitive, derivative, and that the color change mechanic would just be a gimick to give the appearance of something fresh. But I decided I could part with $0.99 and give it a try.

What I got was one of the best runners/puzzle-platformers on iOS, if not the best. Every level is different, some of the levels require real thinking and quick reflexes. The game is rewarding in it's challenge yet forgiving with many checkpoints so that it's hard to become frustrated. You could spend dozens of hours just perfecting the 50 story levels and get more than your money's worth without touching the many varied endless modes. There is a lot of actual content here.

Actually, I just came back to this thread to say that it looks and plays fantastic on my new iPod touch 5g. Hope This Works for you guys and Polara sells well enough to get a follow-up. It is truly a great game, and will probably always have a place on my device.

12. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
  13. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
    Thanks for the lite version. I think that will help you guys out alot, its hard to notice how crisp and detailed the geaphics are from the videos it sort of looked like flash game quality but this is actually pretty high quality game.

The level design is clever too. I like it but not a huge fan of endless runners in general so i just dont see myself playing it much.
    One thing I was wondering does absorbing those energy balls do anything? Sometimes it seems like its easier to just hop over them but not clear if I was missing something by doing that.

14. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Glad to hear you have the game a chance. However the game doesn't really pickup into a crazy puzzler around the 30 lvl mark. After that its just mesmerizing.

Oh ya and as you go along you start to understand what those are. Basically they are explosives that are both an obstacle and also a weapon to fight the bosses with.

15. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    What's the use of posting a free android app here? Read the website tagline:
    "Keeping you in touch with the latest in iOS gaming".

Come back when there's a lite version or is free on AppStore.

16. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Actually the Lite came out this week :) about the link, this started to become a hub of discussion around the game. Didnt think it would upset anyone.

17. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #377 defred34, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
    The forums focus on, but are not limited, to iOS game discussions. I play half my games on Android, and the dev was just stating it here as an FYI because believe it or not, more people than you think have got both an Android and iOS device.

18. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    My bad. I didn't realise it was the dev who posted that. I thought it was a fandroid hijacking the thread just to say "hey it's free on android".

Yes, I've noticed a few android discussions here and there but they're usually flowing nicely, eg. when people are comparing the game's performance on different platforms (ios, android, xbla, psn, etc) or how the pricing strategy often differs. Not jumping out of nowhere like that. Again, my bad.

19. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
    #379 99c_gamer, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    I finally bought Polara. The demo worked. Ii found myself coming back and replaying the levels and now I need more! :D

20. TigerPrezX

TigerPrezX Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Game Impressions

Holy crap. I'm not a fan of runners usually, but I liked Ikaruga's polarity mechanic, so I picked this up... Best game I've ever played on my iPhone, and one of the best games I've played this year on any medium.

Going through the first ten or fifteen levels, I thought the game was a little better than expected. Forgettable, maybe, but worth my dollar. Good for waiting for the bus or passing time on the toilet. But as I got further and further into the game, I came to realize it's deceptively deep, and the simple mechanics were used in brilliant ways. Getting into the 20s, I started actually enjoying the games, and the 30s and 40s were challenging and engrossing enough to get me to actually dedicate time to this game instead of just using it to pass the time. And those last fifteen levels... DAMN. Definitely the hardest "fair" game I've ever played (as opposed to games that are designed to be unfairly hard).

Polara does a few key things extremely well. I wouldn't classify it purely as a runner, so much as a hybrid runner-platformer-puzzle. Unlike so many other puzzle games though, Polara introduces its mechanics smoothly and gradually, and adds a proper difficulty curve throughout the game. Too many games out there dump a new mechanic on you all at once, then give you a dozen variations of the same puzzle. Polara gives you a unique challenge in every single one of the fifty levels, each one harder than the last.

I think running through the fifty levels alone would make for a solid 4/5 game, worth a $3 purchase. But then you add in the letters and the special emblems, which are very strategically placed in ways that force you to rethink the entire level, practically making each one a new experience. That's what pushes the game to an easy 5/5 game for me, and the "Flawless" recognition is just icing on the cake. And that's before even mentioning then 6 endless modes, each of which would be a $1 release on their own from most companies.

So yeah. I've had this game for about a month now, and I just achieved 100% completion (50/50 letters+specials, 100% flawless) tonight, and amazingly I'm not sick of it yet. I don't think I'll get too into the endless modes; I've never been a high score chaser. I do have 2000+ on normal/hard endless and 1300 on insane, and that's good enough for me. If a direct sequel came out to Polara, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If the art/music/cutscenes are an issue, I'd buy a simple 50-level add-on pack too.

If I had to nitpick at a few details (read: things I'd like for a sequel), I do wish the later bosses were a little more intense. They were challenging enough, but lacked the sheer craziness of the levels preceding them. A few more backgrounds (maybe just as unlockables for the endless modes) would be great. And lol, I think Lara's helmet design is a bit ugly (talk about nitpicking...). And most importantly,
    I really wish there was a final unlock for getting 50/50 letters/specials. Kind of disappointing how the game just... ends. The last level even has a "next level" button after the cutscene, but it doesn't do anything. A reward for going 100% flawless would be nice too, however small. Maybe helmetless Lara, ala Samus Aran? I feel pretty accomplished for completing the game, but I kind of want the game to pat me on the back for it, you know?

Final note: I'm surprised at people saying Gravity Wave is so hard. I played it up to $2000 and stopped because I got bored; I felt like I could keep going forever. I find Super Speed ten times harder though...