Universal Polara - (by Hope This Works)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Platyrrhine, Oct 10, 2012.

1. metalsquid

metalsquid Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    #121 metalsquid, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    Totally awesome game for 99¢! Great job, HTW guys. Even at $2.99 it would be worth it, but I wouldn't have take the chance on it then, to be honest. So thanks for the launch sale. I'm up to Lvl 26 so far, taking my time with the story while completing all the challenges. Love the soundtrack in the 20+ levels, really ups the tension and following the rhythm of the music and the timing of the sound effects really helps me get in the groove. I notice that if you time things correctly, they sound like part of the BGM. Very well done on that part. The way new mechanics are introduced and the pacing are both done very well. I don't agree at all that difficulty needs to be reduced. The checkpoint system is more than adequate to cater for 'casual' gamers. Can't wait to see what levels 30+ are like!

So far, so good :)

Attached Files:

2. agentblank

agentblank Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    True, but I think of it as an endless runner since you do have the normal mode at the beginning, and because of the gameplay. This game is awesome, good replay value, good length, and good selection of game modes.

3. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I will try this tactic. I guess blue'd be my base color. Currently, I feel the game's screwing with my mind...color management is pretty tough here.

4. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Holiness, you're pretty good at controlling your mind I reckon. I'm now at Lvl 44, but I've only played all levels just the once. Will round replaying them after completing the full story. Otherwise it'd get too tedious for me. :)

5. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Great job exact-psience. I lack the mental fortitude that you possess so I'll only attempt getting PERFECT games until after I beat the final boss.

Btw, did you get POLARA, the special object and FLAWLESS in one run? I'm guessing not...but who knows.

6. metalsquid

metalsquid Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I grew up on ridiculously hard NES games so I'm well used to repeating levels till you can '3-star' them, in modern terms. :)

7. While I won't go this far cause I like the game, on the new ipad, the game doesn't look very good to me either, if you are going to make it $3, please make it ipad retina cause it doesn't quite look so great on my new ipad. Only real complaint.

Otherwise, game is much funner than I thought from the youtube vids and such, can see why many like this game and SVs good review. The higher levels, do they have more colors? Cause that would be cool. Would be cool too if you could shoot colored shots too.

8. Joeavery

Joeavery Active Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Midwest
    Bought. Downloading now. Sanuku's video and the developer response sold me - game looks great and seems to have active/interested developers.

Good luck, guys. =)

9. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    17 deaths on my first run at level 19. Shit just got real.

10. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    What do you mean by that? Is 17 your highest number of deaths, or lowest?

11. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #131 Andy C83, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    I meant that I died 17 times on my first attempt at passing level 19!

Attached Files:

12. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Well, I died 43 times on L19. Then again, I hve never been playing this game with focus.

13. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Lol I hated this game. I must be the only one, it just didn't click with me (and I like most runners).

14. Nemer

Nemer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    College/Part job
    Far far away
    Only played first 10 levels but so far im loving. Controls are very simple but you still get great variety in each mission. Boss battle was nice touch too. Checkpoints makes sure you can enjoy it even if you casual gamer like me as i died 30 times already. For 99 cents its worth getting for anyone who likes endless runners.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... tried my first Endless run and... died on the first obstacle. Hahahaha!

16. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Yeah im finding the endless mode pretty brutal too at the moment, but its so much fun that I really dont mind, for sure one of my favorite runners of the year.

17. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    It definitely will build your coordination over time, almost like drumming, you'll get into a rhythm...funny thing is I don't even pay attention anymore and die maybe twice a level now?

KEEP CALM AND PLAY ON ;)

18. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I suck at this game. 90 deaths on level 26. LOL!

I tried clearing apps and rebooting but so far the only way I can play is to turn wifi off. Not a huge problem but if there is a fix in the future that would be great.

19. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Ahhh sorry man, we've got another title called Kunundrum that is puzzley goodness. It's 160 levels, about 12-15 hours of gameplay for a buck!

There's a lite version if you'd like to try it out.

We'll try harder next time for ya :)

20. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Hmmm interesting, I'll pass that along and see what we can do. Thanks man!