Universal Polara - (by Hope This Works)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Platyrrhine, Oct 10, 2012.

1. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    No problem. I just got the 500 deaths achievement before completing level 30. Haha. It's really hard to put down though, and the storytelling is great. Especially in a genre that rarely has any real story. You guys have really made something special!

If you haven't bought this game yet what are you waiting for!? Go find some change in you couch cushions and hit the buy button!

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Bought! Lets see...

3. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Thanks so much! :) Honestly the reviews we've been getting have been great... sadly not in as abundance as we've handed codes out for, but I'm sure there coming :)

It feels like we're the sleeper runt in the pack of games that came out yesterday hahaha

Any word of mouth would be super awesome.

Thanks Operaguy!

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Bought, played 4 levels and a little bit of the endless mode, and its, so far, really good, surpassed my expectations... its well designed so far and Im only in the beginning

5. .THOTH.

.THOTH. Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Credit counselor :(
    Tacoma, WA
    Just finished perfecting the first 20 and getting the achievements for 2, 5, 12, and 15. Thought I had my skills honed enough to possibly perfect every level.... that is, until I went through the next 10 levels up to 30! I can't even imagine what the last level will be like. This is going to be one hell of a challenge!! I love all the different ideas you guys came up with, it's amazing how many different obstacles there are with just 2 colors.

6. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Hye devs, any change you'd change your logo? The pig is downright pig ugly, if you get what I mean. It looks distorted more than anything. The logo is essential to your image to becoming an all time mobile dev great!

7. operaguy2112

Dec 1, 2011
    Sad to see only 6 reviews on iTunes. i know there are more than that playing it from TA so let's help these guys make some money so we can get another excellent game from HTW Games! Here is my iTunes review:

In a genre that has become crowded, it is difficult to find games that really stand out. You usually find very little innovation in level design or gameplay mechanics, and the only difference between various games has more to do with visual style than anything substantial.

Polara breaks this trend by creating an auto-runner with 50 unique levels. Various gameplay mechanics and obstacles are introduced ramping up the difficulty at a reasonable but rewarding rate. Each level has frequent save spots that keep the frustration down as you learn how to master each segment of each level. Any gamer can get through each level with enough practice. However, for the hardcore players out there, getting a flawless run and completing all additional objectives will take real skill and patience, while the various endless modes (unlocked as you complete certain requirements) will test your reflexes and focus.

In addition, Polara tells an intriguing story with beautiful artwork keeping you invested in the action. There is plenty of content here and no in-app purchases. No third-party advertising, and the ads to support their other games don't interfere with the gameplay at all. This game is a steal at $2.99!

8. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Fantastic level design in this game which presents multiple levels of challenge. It takes serious concentration to complete a level with a Flawless rating and all objectives. This is not usually my preferred style of game, but it rally works for me here.

As suggested by OperaGuy, off to iTunes to reward the devs with a well deserved gushing review.

9. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Yes please! All your reviews will help to spread the word and assure people this isn't some piece of IAP'd junk :)

Need to get it out into the Android stream as well!

10. metalsquid

metalsquid Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Just completed the game. Ending was ok. Some of the levels were way more challenging than the final boss which was slightly disappointing. I like when the bosses are the ultimate challenge, not the clearing of the level. I was expecting the final boss to be a lot more brutal. That said, the level design is top notch. Level 48. Wow. Just. Wow. Tim Liszak is a name I will be looking out for in the future. Hats off to you, sir.

11. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Tim did an incredible job with the level layouts for sure!

12. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Hey, no need :) It's obviously a great game because everyone is praising it and you guys are a great dev. The thing that didn't click with me was the color switching which is the game's differential. But I could never know if I'd like it or not if I didn't play it. And since the game is very good in all aspects (presentation, sound, graphics etc) I hope you guys sell it well.

I've done worse like paying full price for Crow (iirc 4.99) because of one glowing website review and found it boring to death - that's actually the only game I really regret buying because I didn't wait for the forumites' impressions which are usually much more reliable than one or two reviews. :p

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    12 five star reviews from TA users... I'm guessing this is worth my buck?

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dont guess. You should know it's worth your buck.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Most definately!!!

16. It's funner and harder than it looks on youtube videos. I wasn't going to buy this at first, but read SVs review, and saw a lot of my friends posting good things here, so went ahead and grabbed it.

Thought, oh this is just going to be a regular good endless runner, play for a day, then get kind of bored and put it away.

But the color thingy to this game makes it challenging and fun. So yeah, it is worth a buck I think.

17. Ok, since I am doing all my reviews for Gnome Escape, will do yours too right now.

But please, make it ipad retina somewhere down the line! This game could look a little better on the new ipad for sure, especially one that is so fun and refreshing.

Oh, now what to write:

5 stars
    Title Great Game!

A fun platforming runner where you control different colors as you run to keep from getting killed. The changing of colors is done by tapping the screen and adds a refreshing new feel to this game. It has a cool space theme, and makes you want to complete each level with as few deaths as possible. Highly recommended!

Ok, that should be good enough, please someday make this game ipad retina, if possible. Thanks!!! You should see this review on the itunes store by tomorrow I figure.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh brother, testify!

19. I got lucky and got crow for a buck on sale, and the intro is so beautiful on my new ipad. One of my favorite intros on ios for the new ipad. The game, well, it's ok, never got really far. Haha

20. operaguy2112

Dec 1, 2011
    Agreed! The color changing element could have easily become just a gimick, but the way it is implemented gives the game more of a puzzle-platforming feel to it with a bit of rhythm thrown in. With the hundreds of times I have died I should be mad at this game by now but each checkpoint basically divides the levels into mini puzzles. It feels like an accomplishment to just reach the next checkpoint, and then the next one, until the level is done. I literally can't stop playing. It has been a while since a game has sucked me in this much.