Poll: Freemium Games Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by triggywiggy, Jan 13, 2012.

?

Freemium Games Yay or Nay

Poll closed Jan 13, 2013.
  1. Yay, they're great, keep Em coming

5.3%
  2. Nay, I'm sick of them

84.0%
  3. Nyay , I'm undecided

10.7%
  1. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    This is cut and dry to me. You buy the game upfront and that's it.

2. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I can totally imagine that, they would cost $20 each and have terrible controls. Touchscreen devices are totally the wrong format for console ports, that's not where their strengths lie. If you aren't into the shorter unique experiences iOS has to offer and want big name console games buy a Vita or 3DS because that's the reason they exist.

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    OnLive my friend ;) Well soon. I hope. I seriously hope.

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Exactly, iOS is best at original made-for-iOS experiences. But you're wrong with them being short experiences. Some last for a LOT of hours

5. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Not all iOS games are short but the ones I go back to the most tend to lend themselves well to short bursts of playtime. With a game like Infinity Blade for example it's really easy to pull the device out and play a quick fight while waiting in a line. Obviously most RPGs can last dozens of hours.

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

And that is why:

1. Gameloft should go back to only making premium games
    2. People should stop hating gameloft even though they make the most console like iOS games that actually work on the platform.

7. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #27 GoofyJmaster., Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    Well, I only kinda read throught the debate and I have to say that I've been a dedicated (hardcore gamer) for over 10 years now and iOS gaming is more expensive than console gaming, especially when you add in a new device every 1-2 years.

DLC vs IAP is different. On consoles you get a full game for $60. I bought Dragon Age for $60 day 1. It gave me in depth, very high quality enjoyment for a long time. The DLC I bought for it added significantly to the gameplay and it wasn't $20 if I remember correctly. Same thing with Mass Effect and other games.

There's also no quality assurance on iOS either. I read fake descriptions all the time, shill posts, hard to get refunds, promised updates that never come about, a mix with a casual society, a ton of freemium, and IAP in just about every game. This platform isn't dedicated to gamers by any means.

Edit
    I want to throw time and hassle into the equation as well. I definitely have a lot more of this on iOS.

8. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #28 Darth Ronfar, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    I'm ok with games that offer a preview then one price for the rest of game, but any game that forcEs it upon u is terrible. I've never been a fan of games that u keep playing online or whatever where u buy stuff to be better... The point of games is to beat things that require skill to earn extras. It's just like in life u can't buy ur way through u pay to go to school but u can't lay to automatticly learn sumthing.

The bad guys here are unfortunately the big companies that have enough popularity to make a stable business.(and that's only a few) this leaves the majority having to put their games on sale just so people know what it Is.. I don't understand gameloft or cave going fremium.... I guess the fact that surfs village can make more money than anything they produce... If that's the case then maybe theyre th bad guys... However I think u can't really point any fingers at anyone. This is why consoles always stayed strong, unfortunately with the way games arE played through the app store people can string u along.

I dunno if there is a solution I don't think apple can or will start making fermium illegal, because theyre making money off of it too. Casual gamers won't care and us fans of quality "hardcore" fans will have to deal with it...

Ok we've lost gameloft and I guess cave.... I think capcom,square and all the company that make games for consoles will keep realising good quality games. I think Chillingo kind of dominates the competion of the 99c games with only a few others having a piece of the pie... So the company that sell at high prices are going freemium to make up for that disadvantage... I dunno let's just see what square and other companies that havE been around awhile do... Gameloft and cave aren't console developers...

I think things will still be ok for more serious type gamers, maybe will lose some but not every company is going to follow suit because they're
    Already on the side that gets money.

9. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    I too am fine with freemium games along as you can purchase a one time only IAP that allows full content. But some of the latest ones have been shockingly expensive. I do not Howether plan to spend $50 on a game like Real Soccer just so I can unlock every league, every team and every player, and play a match without having to wait. If I wanted to spend that much I would be better of playing FIFA 12 on my console.

Same goes for the brothers in arms 2 game. Why would I spend $40 on IAPs so I can play it whenever I want when I can buy Battlefield for console for an extra $5?

This is where freemium games are ruining iOS the IAPs are way too overpriced to the point that it's cheaper to get a console game first or second hand then it is to pay for all the in app purchases. And it's said to admit it but this is the waits going. EA look to be going this way, I don't know why because they make tons of cash that they don't need to make no more, probably just greed. I can see other devs going this way. Not just devs publishers. How long till Chillingo starts recommending to devs to go freemium?

It's the way apps are going and it's turning the platform sour. Hopefully Apple will do something about it. Most likely make IAPs prices more freely ranging, like 50c $1 $1.50 $2 $2.50 rather than the 99c $1.99 2.99 Then you could end up spending less on IAPs over time. Then there are the expensive ones which some add up to about $50 FOR AN IAP! Apple should not allow that. How much people actually are going to spend that much on a IAP? Non, maybe one. So it's not worth it. It just creates issues such as kids hacking parents accounts and buying it etc.

Apple should also take a bigger profit from IAPs 40% instead of the regular %30 which would still apply for normal priced games. This way devs can still go freemium but they would be more likely to go normal as they would probably
    Have more paid downloads.

Hopefully something is done as at the moment the freemium model is terrible and taking fans for their money and that's all. I would quite happily play a freemium game thats well made with an IAP to buy more levels or other characters aslong as the game itself has a substantial amount of content. But at the moment it's not like that, is it?

10. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I hate the freemium model for one main reason: The games JUST AREN'T FUN. There's only been one true freemium game I've really enjoyed (not counting Temple Run since I bought that game) and that's Slam Dunk King by PikPok. Freemium often sucks the joy and fun out of a game, leaving it soul-less and unenjoyable. If freemium continues it's rise, games will lose being fun and their soul, making the iOS market a wasteland...

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

League of Legends

12. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    You in that League? ;)

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I just feel like you shouldn't say dumb things about free to play games unless you've tried it.

14. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yet I have, I have reviewed all of Gamelofts freemium games...

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

If you've spent enough time playing League of Legends to understand how it works and you still irrationally hate free to play I'm not sure what to say.

16. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    League of Legends free to play is different. I hate the style of FTP Gameloft use. Read my post on the previous page.

17. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I think he's complaining about how the majority of F2P games handle the F2P part, of crouse there will be some exceptions that do it right.

18. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Exactly. Temple Run, Jetpack Joyride are doing it correct. Full game, if you want to pay to get bonus content you can but the content is majorly coins that are spent on costumes not spent on gameplay time or unlocking gameplay features.

19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    There are two types of Free-To-Play games that work:

1. Games that add extra layers, but don't change the gameplay or if it's a multiplayer game, don't make it unfair for others. You know, games like Temple Run and Jetpack Joyride(it's f2p right?)

2. And of course the demos. Play few levels before buying full version :)

20. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Think this should be used to show developer the communities opinion. 40/3 is a huge number against.

That's 92.5% of people against freemium games!