Universal Power Grounds (by Diego Cathalifaud)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Apple can be so unbelievably cool sometimes. If they like the work you're doing they make a real effort to be helpful. That's my experience.

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Been playing the IOS version for a few attempts and it feels more natural to control here than on PC. Swipe to move, tap the cast button to use an ability, tap and hold on a power-up to see its function. Some abilities behave a bit differently. The visuals look more polished and cleaner on IOS. The gameplay is as fun and challenging as ever; haven't tried the arena mode yet. If you enjoyed Amber Halls and wanted a game where you felt more in control and had more options, less like a puzzle and more strategic, than I highly recommend Power Grounds.

3. YellowHat

YellowHat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Yes, when I submitted the expedited review request I had no hopes. I though that thing was only for EA and other big publishers.

4. YellowHat

Feb 7, 2013
    Thanks for the quick review!

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #25 JCho133, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Can't find it yet man. Is it going to release at 11 in the US then?

What continent do you inhabit Bronxsta?

6. Bronxsta

#26 Bronxsta, Apr 10, 2014
    I'm in the US. Got a promo code

7. bcredonk

bcredonk Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Jealous! I can't wait, I've been playing amber halls all day to prep. Finally got to the ninth floor... I kinda suck at it haha.

8. Some here say I don't like old school graphics, but this one definitely has a cute look, cool simple style from those screenshots. Reading the comments in this thread, and they look good so far.

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha, I should become a game blogger

10. Yeah, bloggers get all the girls. Jealous.

11. Bronxsta

#31 Bronxsta, Apr 10, 2014
    Honestly it's not that hard. Well building an audience is hard, but the actual writing, if you're writing about something you enjoy and are passionate about, that's easier. I mean, I started out of frustration that some great IOS games weren't getting covered anyway (And Line Bound still hasn't been reviewed by TA or Pocker Gamer or any site...sigh, totally underrated and overlooked).

Just start with the games you have, and then gradually branch out to asking developers for games you don't. I've learned that developers, especially indie developers, appreciate someone being interested in their work and will happily let you cover their games.

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #32 JCho133, Apr 10, 2014
    Okay, I'll give it a shot!

Haha but honestly, I like writing about games too. Remember that thread that got shut down? Interacting with indie devs is one of the coolest things ever to me, so yeah, if I do ever get the time to start something like this, I definitely will

13. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Wooo hooo it's out

14. Alright, I think I will try it too if jcho likes it so much!

15. YellowHat

Feb 7, 2013
    Excellent!

Can't wait to see what are the favourite combos of everyone.

16. bcredonk

bcredonk Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    The sword and brown shield seem to be okay so far as a combo. I haven't gotten it down yet... Keep making it to six and getting creamed

17. YellowHat

Feb 7, 2013
    Beating the game is actually not very hard (as opposed to Amber Halls).

The real challenge comes from going for a high score and getting all the achievements.

18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm loving it. My favorite combo is freeze and dash (blue arrow).

19. Bronxsta

That's what I noticed. In AH, progressing a room or two was tough. Here, I've reached Room 6 (beating it is a different story)

Arena is the real challenge. Can barely make it past Wave 2

20. YellowHat

Feb 7, 2013
    Yeah, Arena is a lot more competitive because it is endless. It's hard to get far when you first play, but after some practice you will be hitting wave 6 or 8 pretty often. My record was, iirc, wave 12. My brother has reached wave 15 a couple of times.