Prince of Persia by Gameloft (Releases on June 3rd)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Obviously PoP, without doubt. I'm guessing it will use the HoS or Hos2 game engine.

2. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    wazzup with Gameloft?
    do they really want us to suffer hunger? :p
    i hope other devs will follow the path of Square Enix
    higher price BUT higher quality :D

3. -RYUK-

-RYUK- Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I don't like Gameloft.
    Pros of Gameloft:
    Game licenses (AC 1+2, H.A.W.X., Driver etc.)
    Pretty good graphics
    Cons:
    Bad outworking
    Controls suck
    No updates...

I'm still waiting for Lost Planet 2 by Gameloft and Capcom.

4. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Yes it's Prince of Persia. Doesn't anyone recognize that reflection on the blade to be the exact same one from the cover of Warrior Within?
    Well this one might not be a clone... might be a direct port, which is good.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Gameloft didn't do AC2 -- that was Ubisoft. As to controls, I disagree and agree (to a point) with you. They've done more than any other publisher to establish the viability of virtual d-pads on the platform. They've been so successful with them, in fact, that it makes it difficult for other developers to experiment with alternate (and more appropriate to a touchscreen) controls. For example, I personally think that the controls of Samurai: Way of the Warrior are pretty much perfect, but every other review of the game in the App Store keeps requesting a d-pad for it. That, I would argue, is Gameloft's doing, if only indirectly.

At this point, the "no updates" charge seems kind of silly. "Slow updates" perhaps.

@LBG: I really can't think of an existing Gameloft engine that would do justice to a 3D PoP game. Maybe Skater Nation with a major (and I mean huge) overhaul. Camera movement is key.

6. Underoath777

Underoath777 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    L-Dot, Ontario
    They are also releasing Iron Man 2. Gameloft ftw!

7. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    i kinda agree with squarezero(wow never read that properly i just realized it's square and zero, i thought it was something like an italian word :p)
    i think Gameloft is the one really did a great job with virtual stick and and the first one to almost perfect shooter controls like in NOVA and MC ;)

8. Crazybreadman

Crazybreadman Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    App Developer
    Washington
    #28 Crazybreadman, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    So why isn't Ubisoft doing this one? They're handing their franchise over to Gameloft when they also make idevice games? Well I guess they did that w/ Rayman 2 also.

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I really can't see them pulling off a full 3D PoP with the same camera angles and camera movement as the PC/console games. The controls just wouldn't be possible on an iPhone, unless they had a very, very smart auto-camera replacing the manual camera. I mean, take a look at Rayman 2 on iPhone. Controlling the camera movement as well as the character movement isn't easily done.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It's the name of my graphic design studio -- though I dig the Italian word interpretation :).

11. Adeeb246

Adeeb246 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Canada
    Man the second I saw this video, I knew 100% it was Prince of Persia, definitely not HEro of Sparta, or AC3. Even the title says "Cinematic game" and since POP comes out in may, that just adds more proof!!!
    What would be soo deadly in this game is if they add slo mo kills, weird angle jumps. Or basically like the PC version.

I love Gameloft man, they've been coming out with lots of
    great games lately!!
    Splinter Cell
    Zombie Infection
    Rayman 2
    Iron Man 2
    and so much more!

12. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i expect it'll be a rince of persia clone, as the character has a slight resemblance but not much, and gameloft are notorious at making technically good (although slightly lifeless) clones for iPhone an iPod touch

13. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    It's probably a PoP based on the Forgotton Sands coming out (the it's-Sands-of-Time-but-not-actually one) rather than the movie, since the guy in the teaser looks nothing like Jake Gyllenhaal and more like the Sand of Time/the older PoP's princes.

Which is good, since I'm not a fan of movie tie-in games.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    They've never made a clone of an Ubisoft property.

15. User123

User123 Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Russia
    + Castle of Magic 2 coming soon...

16. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Nah. There are too may proof shouting it's Prince of Persia:

1. Persian, arabic music in the trailer.
    2. Characteristic curved blade of PoP main hero.
    3. Prince's face in blade's reflection.
    4. Killed guards in thre background wear arabic tunics.
    5. Trailer font is similar (if not the same) to "Prince Of PErsia: Prodigy" game font.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I know people like to speculate, but there's really no question here: it's Prince of Persia. The only question really is if it's:

1) A port of Sands of Time
    2) A port of Forgotten Sands (and if it is, whether it's the DS sidescroller version or full 3D)
    3) A brand new PoP game based on the movie.

My guess is that it's #2.

@LBG: I really hope it's not the AC1 engine, which I think made for a terrible 3D platformer. I would much prefer to see something made with the Skater Nation engine (which was, I believe, an improved Gangstar engine). Remember that the PSP versions of PoP had follow-the-action automatic camera and that worked well enough; Skater Nation used a similarly automated camera and I thought the results were decent.

18. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    #2 in full 3D would be the ideal option.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I'm a fan of AC2 on the iPhone (it's a lonely thing to be, apparently), so I could get excited about a 2.5D version of PoP as long as it had fantastic production values and a great framerate throughout (as AC2 does on a 3Gs). But I agree that a full 3D action platformer (done well) would be something to behold.

20. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I never played PoP on the PSP, and I hated Skater Nation. AC1 on the other hand, I loved. It was much better than AC2, in my opinion (I have never been much of a fan of side scrollers, except maybe mario).
    Each to their own, I suppose.