Promos CAN not leave iTune reviews again!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by LordGek, May 14, 2011.

1. Starscream1017

Starscream1017 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    this whole apple not allowing reviews from promo codes was bullshit.. it was never official. it was an answer a guy got from an apple customer care representative.. and customer care ppl dont allways know everything alot of them are clueless just like sales ppl in apple shops.. out of all the codes i have gotten- most i am able to review, but there have been few that i am unable to review.. it depends on the code.
    if apple was to do something as huge as blocking reviews from promo codes- im sure they would have given an official notice or something..

2. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    It is in the latest iTunes Connect Developers Guide, ver 6.7., dated 11 May.

"Customers who purchase an app using an iTunes Connect promo code will no longer be able to review or rate the app."

3. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Yeah apple needs to make stuff like this clear. Like say a notice for all devs when the generate codes? I had to give the link to the thread about reviews not working to a few devs who where still asking for some reviews after giving me a promo code.

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Crap!

I just received a promo from a just released game today, and even though I used it in iTunes on my computer (i.e. not through my iDevice), it is pulling that same old, "You must first download the game to leave a review for it" crap. :mad:

5. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I must have used a newer generated code for Melon Truck because it did allow me to leave a review where as some codes from a couple weeks ago still won't let me leave one. More likely depends on the type of code being used as well.

6. Vanaple HK

Vanaple HK Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad App Development
    HK, China
    Yeah, in this way, developers promote their apps only by requesting editors' reviews, so they have to improve their apps to attract editors' attention, which is just what Apple wishs for.....
    BTW, Apple also announced to ban iAD in apps for children.

7. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    It's pulling this crap with me still also.
    Used a code AND paid for a game yet still refuses to let me review.
    Even gifted and still got the middle finger.
    Eff you apple and your crap ass review glitches.

8. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Three days ago I can give review on Raging birds that I got from promo code.
    Now, I want to review Ratz and Dreambook (promo code) and I cannot !!!!
    What's the difference?

9. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Weird. I rec'd two codes from two devs around the same time. I was able to post a review on iTunes for one, but not the other. Free-Kay!

10. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Since the latest Developer's Guide says users can no longer leave a review using an iTunes Connect generated promo code, I'll guess that there are a few remaining that are still valid, but probably not for much longer. Or the codes were gift codes... or there is some other way to generate promo codes?

11. TheCatsMeow

TheCatsMeow Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Mine said at first "you cannot rate this game as you have not purchased it" but then I clicked it again a couple times and the review went through.. And that was straight from iPad.. Glad you can now, would have been incredibly annoying when you couldn't! As you can't even repurchse the game to leave a review if it's your friends or something..
    They probably did that to stop game devs from rating their one games as tents probes give themselves a promo code instead of purchasing..

12. mkjate

mkjate Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Good to know that. But bad news for many indie developers. How can they get their apps been noticed without the reviews from promocode downloads.