Universal PsyCard (By Ludosity AB)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i've won a lot of matches and reach a couple of tournament finals, and was not only luck, feel clearly that i made the right choices.
    you must keep an eye at your opponent moves also, if he plays a card and then jump to another sector, means that there are skulls down there, if he insists around that zone, he's looking for stars or fruits.
    make your moves wisely.

2. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Oh, I was referring to Card City Nights above.

3. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    :eek::D sorry, haven't read carefully...

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Uhh what? You start a match, you pick a card and it has a skull. How would your advice help me? You basically leave it up to RNG at that point. And you can't read how many skulls are touching so that makes the game infinitely harder. The other option is to just pick another card somewhere else on the board with no knowledge of what's next to it, but then that's RNG yet again. I've done that so many times touching a random card on the opposite side of the board and I miraculously hit a skull card.

I admit I'm average at Minesweeper but I played this game all night and this morning and couldn't figure out how to win consistently like I can with regular Minesweeper. Unfortunately I'm just going to delete this game as I don't have a lot of space. I don't feel too bad for spending because I love the creators but this was a definite miss for me. I like everything except the game play. Way too much luck involved. I'm sure other people will enjoy it but as a big fan of the creators I would still say this game is too hard.

You will hit a lot of dead ends that involve luck because you can't tell what the opponent has grabbed (the indicators become useless) and then the skull sign just says there could be any number of skulls touching (Minesweeper gives you a number indicator to tell you how many mines are touching so you can plan accordingly). And like I stated earlier, I've lost a dozen and more matches on the second card just because it says there's a skull touching and either way, you tap a random card outside the area (which often hits me a skull for some reason), or you tap nearby and can hit a skull. So it's basically just luck half or more of the time.

5. hoodwinkedfool

hoodwinkedfool Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2011
    One thing that may be giving people trouble is at the top it shows you how many skulls are in each deck. It might say there are three skulls in purple and zero in pink so you are free to flip as many pink as you like without fear

6. Kainamor

Kainamor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Art work!

I have never been a fan of any kind of card game but the way the art and characters look in this game! I am so close to trying a card game for this artwork

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    You'd be better served by Card City nights

8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I re-downloaded to try again with more of this in mind.

Luck. You can observe the game mechanic rules all you need, but it's luck that decides.

Deleted again.

9. Beth

Beth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 29, 2014
    Professional do-nothing'er
    Eastern usa
    #29 Beth, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Ugh :( I was coming here hoping it was just me, guess it's not just something I'm doing wrong.

I'm having similar issues, game mechanics aren't really working for me, too much luck and guessing involved!
    Maybe if there was an option where I could see ALL cards played, even just for a while in the tutorial ( till I got the hang of it)
    I hate saying this is too hard....I'm usually complaining that games are way too easy, but this is really the first game in a long $&& time that's made me feel stupid....lol..

I even tried playing a quick match, and even with the easiest setting I still can't make much headway, it's just not enough strategy and too much luck and randomness maybe...

On a positive note this has very interesting graphics, characters and diologue ...if I could just figure out the game mechanics I'd be loving this 100%...
    Soooo.....
    Maybe the developer can help us out with some tips/ advice ...please :)

10. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    #30 esty8nine, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Guys instead of just complaining why don't we take the time to actually learn the mechanics the game gives you many different tools to try a need you to make smart decisions when you first start a match there's one card that sparkles and that's automatically a freebie to start there

Not going off what that tells you there's many different things you can do if you see no skull at all on that card and just little Asterix*then you know the touching cards around it are free to pick if you reveal a card with only a skull there's no reason to take the chance to pick a card around it because you know that Only a skull is in the area if a card reveals to Asterix a star and a skull then you know your odds are good not to pick a school because that card is also touching fruit and a star in the area

Next up we also have each character special which can help in its own way I'll leave you guys to figure that out ( self explanatory)

And lastly we have the counter on the top left and right to tell you the specific number of schools in each color card if he told you there's no skulls in blue then you're free to pick audible you want if there's only one skull and blue and two in red and you know your odds are pretty good there going to take us a blue card depending on how many there are on the board

11. gakuka

gakuka Active Member

Feb 19, 2014
    First of all, LOVED CCN, did everything you can do in that game, played it so much.

This one, however, is not as good at the moment. The haters are right, there is way too much luck in the game. I understand that's how minesweeper is too, but you're not competing with someone else in MS, here you are and it makes it more irritating to lose. Also, MS is one game at a time. Here there are 30-point tournaments I'm in where it's neck-and-neck, then the computer gets three apples in a row and wins. Ugh. Stuff happens, I know, but it's distressing.

Would it be possible to add a number next to the +, star, and skulls to show how many of each are touching? The ++ is helpful, but MS gives you a number for a reason, with 8 cards touching the odds of having 3+ of something touching the card you flipped aren't terrible, so more info is better.

12. hoodwinkedfool

Mar 27, 2011
    If you have one + then that means there is one fruit touching and only one fruit. You are safe to flip all the other cards touching it. You'll only find that one fruit, blank cards, or other cards with more info. If it has two ++ and a star then there are two fruit and only two fruit and a star so on.
    It really is a well made game. You can consistently win over and over.
    I do think it needs a tutorial explaining the rules because I think it assumes everyone knows how to play Minesweeper and if the few additions they added they didn't really explain too well (which I think adds to all the confusion).
    I do find it funny that if you pick Z and lose your first match she echoes everyone here's complaint and says "this game is completely random!! It's all luck!"
    They clearly expected this.

13. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Well I'm amazed that more people aren't "getting" this game. It is subtle, and you have to wring out every last drop of info you can possibly deduce from the hints given to win - but it CAN be done. It can get really intense when there are only a few remaining cards, but then the win is such a rush. If I could change anything, I'd reduce the 30 points required to win to 24, but realize that 30 reduces the element of luck involved in winning. The devs have created one hell-of-a-game here, and it makes me sad seeing so many players shrug it off as being either too difficult or luck based.
    I felt the same and lost a lot before the subtleties dawned on me, but now I'm just loving it!

14. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    #34 Roleki, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    Sorry, can't get screenshot to attach API issues

End game...

EDIT: Can't attach screenshot...

15. gakuka

gakuka Active Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Actually, the ++ means there are 2 OR MORE food next to your card, the star means there are 1 OR MORE stars next to your card, and the skull means there are 1 OR MORE skulls next to your card. I feel like there's no reason at all not to give the player more specific information. I would rather the game just tell me exactly how many of each type are touching my card, then I can plan accordingly based on the other cards I've flipped over on the board. It makes the game more strategic and less of a guessing game.

Still, there will always be some luck involved, but try to imagine how frustrating minesweeper would be if instead of a number of mines touching your tile they gave you a "1" or "2+" result. You'd go batty, there are too many possibilities and the game wouldn't be as fun.

I'm not saying the game is not fun, I gave it 4 stars, but I can't even say it's perfect for what it is unless I have more information at my disposal, otherwise it can be frustrating.

I win more often than I lose, I feel that I make great use of all the information available to me, but it almost feels like I'm boxing with one hand tied behind my back. Untie me, devs, please :)!

16. psiboy

psiboy Member

May 23, 2011
    You build the deck, this is the mechanic of every CCG. You have to diversify your arrows. You will sometimes get screwed by bad draws, but that's how it is. Every single deck building game in existence is about playing with probability. Don't act like you offered some great insight with an ignorant post on a mobile gaming forum.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So are the game's other 21 characters playable?

18. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #38 Gambler, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Are you serious? I bought CCN three days ago (thanks to this thread, had never heard of it before) and I rarely ever lost a match (end statistics 65 wins and 2 losses and those were in the beginning when I was still getting used to the game mechanics). The game's well balanced, if anything I even found it a bit too easy. You know you're able to choose your cards/deck, right? And of course shouldn't use too much cards where the arrows don't match?

Loved CCN, wasn't able to lay it down - PsyCard's by far not as good though. Especially in the finals I often feel like the CPU opponent has the necessary three fruits much too fast. I'm not that far in though (10th tournament, 1 won) so could also be bad luck. All in all I feel there's too much luck and barely any strategy involved here (eg. as opposed to the Minsweeper mechanic two symbols could also mean there are three or four fruits around which also adds to this factor).

Also with CCN you had a little story and a feeling of progression with the new cards to gather. Here it's been one tournament after the other, always with the same special power, only some little differences with the board or slight rule changes. So the "strategy" for the game nearly always stays the same.

I quite liked Minesweeper back in the Windows 3.1 days (God I'm old) so the game's nice for one or two quick matches every now and then. Just coming from CCN, at least for me, it's nothing special though.

19. gakuka

gakuka Active Member

Feb 19, 2014
    My sentiments exactly. You said it better than I did, thank you.

20. hoodwinkedfool

Mar 27, 2011
    Do you guys think the people who are able to win consistently are just "making it up" or something?