Universal [Pulled] BioShock (by 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    What about iPad 4?

2. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    When I played this on my xbox, I spent a loooot of time looting stuff. So much so that the finger that was hitting the 'loot' button would get sore -- plus you'd have to stare at the proper angle to be able to loot. If this is the same deal on the iPad, it could make for a miserable gaming experience.

3. legit_sauce

legit_sauce Active Member

Jun 1, 2014
    $17? I know it's a big game but all the ios hats were 6.99 and they were bigger in gameplay

4. gleeclub

gleeclub Active Member

Jul 10, 2014
    bit pricey, uh hnmmmmm

5. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I would say sort of. I'm not really into FPSs, but I bought this for Xbox 360 because the reviews all made a big deal of how great the atmosphere and story were. My conclusion was that it does indeed have a very immersive atmosphere and setting and story which can appeal to anyone who likes a good dystopian scifi story. It's *far* more interesting from a story and setting perspective than something like COD or Modern Combat. I'd compare it more to something like Half Life 2.

However the gameplay itself still mostly consists of running around in first person and killing things with various weapons. So if you really dislike FPS gameplay, this might not change your mind. I found myself just setting the difficulty to Easy so I could breeze through the game and experience the story and setting, which are really special and worth experiencing.

6. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    #86 chaos_envoys, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Can you name one?

Thanks for the reply bilboa!! I don't like fps much, but if the story and atmosphere is engaging, and there is an easy mode, i think i'll play it!! Thanks!

7. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #87 Rip73, Aug 27, 2014
    It does have Retina support.
    It just happens to be scaled down and running at a percentage of the resolution.
    I don't know the exact percentage that its running at but it would be extremely heavily pixelated if it wasn't retina and that's not the case.
    Note IB3 is not running at full retina either, it is also scaled to a percentage. And an reality very few games are running at full retina.

Also, since May last year Apple has been rejecting apps that don't support retina.
    Retina support is compulsory since then (along with iPhone 5 screen support) for any new or update app submission and part of their developer guidelines.
    There are no exceptions to the rule.

Obviously enough, developers are allowed to scale back on full res due to framrate problems that will occur but they still have to meet certain technical criteria (that are far too complex to explain quickly here, so I won't even try) that qualifies and supports retina.

8. Hum, yeah Knight Of The Old Republic is better than Bioshock.

9. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    I get it; still, on an iphone 5 the game look like it's running on a 3GS. that's what I meant by "lack of retina". no doubt it's a lot better on 5S and so on.

10. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Kotor is priced $9.99 actually.. Not $6.99

11. Still it's better cheaper and much longer.

12. Seiza616

Seiza616 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    What device is sanuku playing on in his video? Also, does anyone have some video of someone playing on an iphone 5? I am interested in seeing how this looks and plays (lag) before making a decision on whether or not I should purchase the game. One user's comment with regard to the game looking like a game being played on an iphone 3GS is a bit disappointing.

13. iLLcAtTiViSsiMo

Jul 17, 2013
    #93 iLLcAtTiViSsiMo, Aug 27, 2014
    Um. No. It's only $20 on steam (regular price) and it was just on sale for $5. $15 bucks for a portable lesser quality version with touch controls? I'm a huge Levine fan, but I might hold off on this one until it goes on sale.

To those that never played it on any platform: DON'T HESITATE AND JUST BUY IT. iOS or not, this is Bioshock we're talking about. You'd be missing out as a gamer if you didn't get lost in the world of Rapture at one point or another.

14. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #94 Rip73, Aug 27, 2014
    Ah, okay, I get ya.
    The graphics are scaled back a lot and the obvious ones people have mentioned about lighting, anti aliasing, polygons, textures, etc, have been reduced as a result (they naturally would have to be) but in saying that, I think it still looks staggeringly good.
    If all those other effects from the console were there, I can only imagine how the framerate would be.
    All in all, yes, there are substantial differences between the console/pc and this one, but it still looks amazingly good on screen on the devices.
    Plus the framerate is very solid so far which I'm personally very pleased about.
    As to the 5s, I dunno, haven't loaded it up on that yet but I'm not expecting too much of a different between that and the 5. Maybe a bit smoother possibly but wouldn't expect too much of a difference graphically.

Ultimately people, it still looks amazing.
    Yes it has gone through quite a few changes from the console version but all those effects and so on of that scale would just kill the framerate and probably destroy a battery in about ten minutes.
    The fact that it still looks amazing (and to my eyes, it does look amazing) and runs smoothly (on iPhone 5) is more than enough for me. Well, along with the great story and one of the greatest fps (rpg/exploration/adventure/cinematic/moral tale/whatever one wants to call it) ever on device of course.

Oh and as there is a bit of debate about price, it is of course totally worth the price and more, no question about it.
    You're buying an experience and a piece of gaming history, not just a game. It is totally worth the price of entry.

15. chaos_envoys

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    My point is, if $3 is not that much, then why bother with $6 differences for a console game on ios? I do like kotor, but I like games in general, and want to support the gaming community.. Compared to starbucks drinks and psp umd, this is very cheap...

16. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    It's not just a fps there is so much more to it than that go buy it you won't be sorry.

17. Dr69onS6mur6i

Dr69onS6mur6i Member

Aug 19, 2014
    I disagree. I've played both on my xbox and while kotor is a really good game with a great story... I always knew I was playing a video game. With Bioshock it felt like I actually was stuck in Rapture saving or harvesting the Little Sisters. Or beating slicers in the back of the head with a wrench.

Besides, they are two totally different games. It's like saying legend of zelda is better than Mario.

18. Same devs, don't work :p

Plus, Star Wars universe is better than Rapture universe. Because more characters.

19. MarkyR74

MarkyR74 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    And so where are the people that were proclaiming this game wouldn't come out until the iPhone 6 announcement? And that it would never run smoothly on an iPhone 5S?

I did tell you lot that it WOULD run fine, you know considering they demoed the game everywhere on an iPad Air...

Looking forward to it being out tonight though :)

20. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I'll gladly pay $17 for a quality game with all the content vs a free game with IAP, timers, and other BS any day of the week. It's a no brainer.