iPad [Pulled] Dead Space - (by EA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. legoshoes

legoshoes Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2010
    1. Normally depends on what angle from which you want to chop limbs.

2. That glowing bar on Vandal's spine is your "health"

2. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    I hope they raise the price to $30 coz this is worth it even at that price point. Some appstore cOnsumers are so cheap and that is the real reason why the IOS is not realizing its true potential gaming wise.

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Damn, i bought it without expecting too much and i was completely wrong! this is the best shooter on the iOS and has the best graphics AND sound on the AppStore, bye bye Infinity "always the same" Blade (until multiplayer hits) and RAGEless and on-rails stuff, this is the real console expirence and the real deal. chAIR please learn from this guys. awesome game if you are a serious gamer and love good quality games pick it up so more companies make games as great as this. and yes, play it with headphones in the dark

4. baartlebooth

baartlebooth Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #524 baartlebooth, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Not it's not.

A real console experience has to be experienced with a dual stick or an arcade stick, so what EA is trying to do here is to mimic a console experience.

Unfortunately while it is definitely a great success as far as it concerns immersion, graphics, sound and narration, the controls are still itchy when it comes to the pure battle gameplay : rotating the gun is an infection, aiming as well relies on the lack of precision of touch control and so on.

"on rails stuff" like you say is one of the finest genre in video games history (house of the dead, sin and punishment, time crisis etc etc ...) and RAGE is an incredible achievement regarding that, especially inventing controls that fit so well a touch control device.

Infinity Blade on the other hand is a brilliant modern version of nintendo ' s "punch out" , introducing RPG elements and brilliant touch control innovation, and if you knew a little bit of punch out you would know how IB comes close regarding content and replay value.

EA's game is great, but stop throwing out to the water everything that doesn't fit your video game vision, precisely when it is so narrow minded and obviously ignorant of its history.

5. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    Best. Game. Ever.
    Until the next IB update, and if it is good or not, this shall rein king.

6. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    #526 TheFrost, Jan 26, 2011
    You are wrong.... its console worthy by every means, and controls work perfectly for me and A LOT of people, maybe you need to get better at your shooter skills, you seem not very good at those. touch controls are the best thing since we dont get anything else. and it is the best UI i seen in years.

and im not saying RAGE and IB are bad, i think you a are a fanboy and got it completely wrong, but this Dead Space teaches them that those games can be played with-out the on-rails thing

yeah i know that punch out is, been playing games since i was young

by the way, you are a freak, and a dumb one, people have different opinions and you should respect them

EDIT: Removed the swearing...

7. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    This is the best game ever for any mobile device

8. baartlebooth

Nov 18, 2010
    #528 baartlebooth, Jan 26, 2011
    Not for the journalists here in touch arcade (read the review) and no they are not perfect at all.
    Touch control is not a mouse/ keyboard or a dual stick, the best controls out there on idevices are those made by people who understand this

I have my shooter skills trained with Quake Arena on PC thank you, I don't have interest in mastering something that can't be mastered/is not interesting to be mastered (FPS like touch control)

Fan boy I am not, I have a lot of critics against those two games, I m just saying that their controls technics and game design are so much better thought for a portable idevice than DS

Again an "on rail thing" is a kick ass genre in video game, FPS and on rail shooter are two genres with different game designs and purpose.
    A rail shooter relies on perfection, replayability, scoring, memory (that is why it has to be short), perfect course, all those things you should know since....:

No you have not

But too much coffee this morning you had

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Obviously a mouse and keyboard would be better. But a touch screen is the next best thing IMO. If this game was on the PSP or DS then I'd find it unplayable because of the controls. The controls work almost perfectly for me, with my only complaint being the slight lack of sensitivity when turning/aiming.

I think the term "console quality" is too ambiguous, but this is one of the best games I've played on a portable console (including the PSP and DS as well). Of course it's not as good as Dead Space on consoles/PC on a big screen, but the gameplay and overall feel of the game still feels pretty damn close.

10. baartlebooth

Nov 18, 2010
    All of that I perfectly agree though )

11. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Dude these are still only your opinions, you don't have to go trying to force people to agree with you, I personally find touch controls way more accurate then the dual stick controls of consoles and easily the next best thing after keyboard and mouse. I also never really liked on-rail games much, personally it really took a lot of the immersion away. Some people like touch controls a lot some don't like them at all, but just because you don't like them doesn't mean that their bad, and really? Quoting toucharcades review? That's just there opinion, not the opinion of the general public.

12. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

I came up on keyboard and mouse/keyboard controls for FPS games too, but there came a time when gaming shifted to the living room. I have made the switch to joystick controls, and it was hard (and I'm still better with a mouse) but I don't touch the computer for gaming anymore. Move with the times, or be left behind. I play PS3 on a giant Kuro plasma and hifi system now... why go back?

Same rules apply to mobile gaming, I have a phone with hundreds of games I can play anywhere anytime... I'd rather enjoy that then sit and complain that there's no keyboard and mouse attached.

13. Daft Punk

Daft Punk Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    #533 Daft Punk, Jan 26, 2011
    1. How do you know that? I know I'm not in your shoes and I don't know your past experiences, but to me this is a great game, and Vandal controls and moves the way Isaac moves in the PC and console versions. IMO it's deliberate.

If you're changing your writing to make the readers happy (i.e. complaining about the controls so your review isn't completely positive -- to mix things up, I guess) I think that's pretty unprofessional. If you're writing about how you really feel about the game and people are reacting negatively, maybe you aren't playing from an unbiased point of view, and I guess your views are not shared by many, which IMO might mean you aren't a very good critic. But that's just me, I prefer critics whose opinions I can relate to.

2. I've read from several posts that you guys didn't get the previews and Slide To Play and Touchgen did, so I have no idea but I admit ignorance on the topic. I haven't visited the site as regularly as I use to.

I don't respect it when people edit out my post and put something like "words" as a quote. I know you've heard what I said before, but it doesn't give you the right to just delete everything and replace it with "words".

You didn't address the proof reading issue either, so I'll just say that next time you should proof read Brad's article, no offense. TA articles are usually well written, but this one wasn't.

Oh, and let me also add that from my post that you edited out completely that I said I had "heard" that there were rumours about TA and the Dead Space preview, and that "if" you had written the article out of spite, etc etc. I'm sure you can read between the lines at what I'm trying to say... But if you can't, I'm saying I didn't accuse you of it, it was simply a conjecture.

14. JHack

JHack Member

Jan 26, 2011
    i don´t like such games...i´m scared.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Because this happens with every high profile game review ever. Part of my job consists of moderating comments and every high profile game gets a similar response. In fact, it's to the point where it's so predictable that we can even tell what kind of comments we're going to get before we even post our articles. If we say we don't like the controls of a game, people say we're idiots and don't know how to play video games. If we don't mention controls, comments are overrun with "Argghhh how could you give a game such a positive review that you can't even flip the Y-axis on?!" If we say a game is too easy, people accuse us of not playing it. If we say it's too hard, we get accused of being morons. I could go on and on and on.

There's no winning. The main difference is that recently, instead of respectful the disagreement we used to have before TouchArcade got as popular as it is, people have taken to this incredibly rude, mean spirited, and oddly vindictive approach like we posted some 2000 word dissertation on their mom being fat or something. Unfortunately, this seems to be a product of teenagers who have grown up enjoying the complete anonymity of the Internet a little too much. I'm not sure anything can be done about it.

Regarding previews/interviews... Yeah, that's just stupid. I'm not sure why anyone thinks that. We were all at the same preview events, and are all on the same EA press lists. We weren't excluded from anything.

16. Coppertop0

Coppertop0 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Germany
    Sooo "einfach" ist das doch nicht, oder? Wie muss ich vorgehen?

(=it's not that easy for Germans to buy in the US AppStore, is it?)

17. Musclegiant

Musclegiant Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2010
    A quick warning to others: DO NOT READ THE REVIEWS ON ITUNES! Some douche bag, I think it was like the third most recent review, completely and totally gave away the surprise twist of the game I believe. I haven't even had a chance to try the game yet, although I did buy it. I was pretty pissed off. Just a word to the wise.

18. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    When my wife and I first got our 360, we each picked out a game to get and she picked Dead Space cause it had just came out. So yeah I dunno, she does like scary games though. She was really into the F.E.A.R. games too.

19. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I couldn't agree more with the generational aspect of your post. Too often, the Internet is being used as an outlet to express anger and hate, and I feel like it's almost become an aggression by proxy for some. People have a filter in "real life" that keeps them from being too confrontational for any number of reasons, that you don't always find on the net. I've said my share of snippy things here, but I honestly try to only post things I would say to someone face-to-face (for better or worse). I think this is partly a generational issue, where although I like to think I'm pretty plugged in to current technology, the idea of sitting in a room with somebody and instead of talking to them, texting them, is ludicrous. For teenagers, not so much. I think social skills are becoming more and more lacking, and this site is seeing some of the repurcussions of that. Some long term members have either left or seriously downgraded their participation here because of it. Way off topic, I know, but this game has just brought out many examples. You have the right to disagree with the review (which I did in places, BTW) but why does that have to suddenly devolve into personal attacks on writing skills, gaming skills, or conspiracy theories?

20. mister-k81

mister-k81 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    I just completed the game on normal mode for the first time...

The developers were definitely channeling the Metroid series when they came up with that ending. I really didn't expect it either :D. I have to wonder if the the queen from Mertroid II was the inspiration final boss in the game. But It's nice to see that the developers didn't cop-out and just throw in a long and tedious "enemy rush" at the end and call it a day. They actually did put some effort into making this game good.

The game took me about 6h 30m on my first play through (I was pacing myself), but if I add up all the times I have died while playing and had to replay through areas again, I would say that my play time was well over 7 hours. It's a pretty good length for a third person 3d action game on the iOS.

Though... I did have one small gripe with the controls... While they are pretty good over all, I really disliked the alt-fire mode switching. There were so many times in this game when I would accidentally tilt the screen and switch the fire mode on the weapon I was using, when I was trying to aim at something. I wish there was a way to optionally set this to an onscreen button....

But other than that, I think the controls were about as good as they could have been. given the hardware they were working on. Satisfactory enough for me to make it to the end of the game, at least. Though there were a few times when my poor iPod touch 2 could barely handle the action on screen and things would crawl at single digit frame rates... though it only happened a few times (I really need to upgrade to a newer model). But I'm going to give this game another play through on new game + and try to collect all the remaining weapon upgrades.