iPad [Pulled] Dead Space - (by EA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Mr. Mingo

Mr. Mingo Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Its probably been mentioned before but just in case there are some who don't know, in the settings option you can change the weapon orientation to a button on the gun instead of having to tilt the device. I wish I figured that out sooner in the game but I'm only about an hour into it anyway.

Great game btw.

2. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    True, I am with you on that one. We need to support deves to see more titles to come to iOS (most importantly quality wise). Dead space deserves that and I don't want EA to lower the price not until next christmass:)

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Picked this up yesterday...

I'm a BIG Dead Space fan... the first game, the Wii game, and even the movie are all on my top 10 lists...

But after playing quite a few 3rd person shooters on the iPod, I really didn't expect much from this one... thought it might just be another crappy experience with an expensive name tied to it...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAY wrong. Even on my 2nd GEN 8GIG, this game ran pretty smoothly (I did hard reset my device before each playing session...), and the graphics were pretty damn good... can't wait to get a newer GEN iPod so I can see this game in ALL it's graphical glory!!!

$7 is a STEAL for a game of this quality!

I was pretty impressed with the controls too, given what they had to work with... it's pretty much PERFECT. Definitely gonna recommend this to EVERYONE I know that has an iPod!!! WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO EA!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mister-k81

mister-k81 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    #544 mister-k81, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    I don't see this setting anywhere... :confused:

Could it be an option that is only available in the iPad version, or something?

This is all that the iPhone/Touch version has in the way of options. (Page 1 has audio settings)

Attached Files:

5. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Just beat this last night, amazing stuff! I want more!

Also, about the review, I think most people took issue with it because the reviewer didn't seem to have much prior knowledge of the series and it's conventions/tropes. Using a PS3 uber-action game as an example also didn't help for the control scheme point either. Mentioning the lack of sensitivity settings most certainly should be discussed, but expecting this to control like a completely different game/genre on a different platform seems silly, even when just quickly mentioning it as a comparison to a game that controls really well.

Fact of the matter is the clunky nature of the game is ripped directly from the console/PC original. The reviewer never seemed to acknowledge that, and for that people took note. That's all, just in the future don't add in strange comparison's that hold no water, and possibly do some homework and check out the game's origins.

To me, the fact that iOS games are getting close enough to be compared to their console counter parts is truly exciting!

6. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Yeah same here. Unfortunately the warning came a little late for me. I am on chapter 8 and was reading the reviews this morning, oh well...

7. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    What did I miss?

I'm on chapter 6, I just left the water treatment plant & used a power node to unlock some door( to pick up a few ammo things) but I seem to be going in circles. I can't seem to get out, did I miss something? Thanks for Any help

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Guess again!

9. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #549 Pacificsun0481, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

I agree wholeheartedly. While I'm still young at 29, I'm old enough to have enjoyed Atari and the NES.

I'm not going to put Touch Arcade through the ringer. If Brad and Hodapp, feel strongly and have integrity toward their opinion of Dead Space, then I applaud them. They still recommend it, just maybe not as enthusiastically as we'd have liked?

But...I disagree with their review. If they had played the original Dead Space, they would know that Isaacs movement and clunky nature have translated here.

EA doesn't see that as a console or game playability error on their behalf and something that needed correcting. It's integrated into the franchise by design.

Much like Resident Evil 0 - Nemesis/Code Veronica maneuvered, intentionally (for better or worse) to enhance the Survival horror.

To criticize that means, to me, they were lost on the iOS translation and implementation of the source material.

No game is perfect, even perfect 10 rated titles...

However, this really is the most polished, engrossing and true to source offering on iOS today.

A rare feat when a portable game can emulate the successes and gripping nature of it's console brethren.

10. iPodTouchMan15

iPodTouchMan15 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Awesome... But-

Best game ever. Nuff said about that. The only thing is, I want more replayability. I mean if EA wants me to buy stuff from the in game store, then I should use it for more than single player. Yes, I'm asking for online multiplayer... or at LEAST a survival mode. If this is a bridge between the first and second one, then it should have multiplayer, becuase the second one does. Thank you for listening EA, and thank you for bringing the best port I've ever played. You have redeemed yourself from a lot of crappy iPhone games, but if you bring more like this, you will be the greatest iPhone devs ever. Now Gameloft, STEP YOUR GAME UP... (except NOVA 2 and MC2 were really good, but still)

11. Holo7

Holo7 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    U.S.
    What is the bonus item for consoles/pc's?

12. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I clocked in on the first play through at 3 hours and 12 minutes. I died two times due to kensis bugs and the exploder. I could easily see getting the 2 hour achivement for this now that I know how the story goes. I am wondering if there is a added ending for harder difficulty? The ending after the credits stopped abrubtly in my game. In fact the audio cut out many times during the first playthrough and did not match up with the subtitles at all.

I am really wishing my DS 2 copy would get here in the mail sooner than tomorrow now. Dang gamefly.

13. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    From what I can tell, it's a power node and a voice log that references the events in the iPhone game.

But I could be wrong. (I know you get the node.)

14. dbxl

dbxl Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Did you get the the actual node in the game? I guess you'd have to know how many you had before. I registered my iphone version, as well as my 360 version (there's a code on the back of the game manual) and I still don't see anything new in game (or didn't notice)

15. Holo7

Holo7 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    U.S.
    Meh, was expecting a suit or weapon the way they hype it. Better than nothing I guess. Thx for the info, can't find it anywhere online.

16. speeed

speeed Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2010
    My dead space crashed twice within the past hour. Anyone has this happen to them? I got quite far only to have it crash...both times. Very frustrating.

17. speeed

speeed Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2010
    So the upgrades are from left to right?

How was it in the first dead space, did you have to choose a upgrade path, or can everything be eventually upgraded? I don't fully understand.

18. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I think it doesn't just give you the node - it allows it to appear in a certain location in the game, along with the voice log for you to pick up. Again, I haven't actually gotten it, this is my understanding from what I've pieced together from other things.

Also, I have the PS3 version of the game, so I'm not even sure my game is registered or what not, because they have this stupid online access pass. I've never used it before, so we'll see how it works, but I'm hoping that it actually saw my iPhone game registration, because I got no indication that it had.

19. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Upgrades start at the left, and work their way right, yes, but once you have a node in place, you can upgrade anything connected to that node, regardless of direction. You can also place a node in either of those left hand locations at any point in time to start your upgrades. (So you can start with one, and then do the other.)

You can eventually get everything upgraded, but it usually requires a New Game + play through, as there just aren't enough nodes/credits in the game the first time around to get everything. I'm almost through the game (just finished Chapter 11, I think - what a TRIP!) and I have my plasma cutter and rig fully upgraded, and my stasis is 2 nodes away from a full upgrade.

Once you actually play with it, i think you'll understand that it's very easy to upgrade things - it's a lot less complicated than I think you're thinking it is. :)

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

See I think there's a substantial level of misunderstanding here with our criticism of the controls. I've played Dead Space. It was on my personal top 10 back in 2008 when it first came out, and it's one of the only FPS games (short of MW2 and Bioshock) that has grabbed me enough for me to do more than slap it back in the mail to Gamefly when I was done with it. I've seen the animated movie. I've read the comic book. I've even got one of the Dead Space books on my Kindle. I haven't played the sequel yet, or seen the second animated movie, but that's more because I'm spending the month in France and both my Xbox 360 and any retailer who sells region 1 DVD's is about 4,000 miles away.

Brad is also totally into the Dead Space universe. We've talked at length about what we thought of the original game, what we think of how this connects the original and the (then) upcoming sequel, and what we were (then) hoping to see in Dead Space 2. Rest assured, we're familiar with the series, and how they control.

Taking this in to account, my criticism of the controls, as precisely and concisely as I can possibly get are as follows: The default sensitivity is too low, and there is no way to change it. Expanding on that, it doesn't make sense why EA went to such lengths to build such a fantastic iOS-specific Dead Space game and not play other FPS/TPS games on the platforms to duplicate their control options. The low sensitivity left me spending too much time swiping my thumb and picking it back up, like using a mouse in a FPS game with the sensitivity set far too low.

These things are flat out irresponsible to not mention in any thorough review of the game, and honestly, if we hadn't mentioned things like how you can't even flip the Y-axis, people would be calling us out on that too.