Puppysaurus - turned-based "collect 'em all" RPG!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fuzzyprofessorhead, May 10, 2011.

1. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Oh, lol

Except it's...... still in the title...... :p

2. ...

So it turns out you can't actually edit a thread title, just a post title. Heh heh. Ahem.

(This is actually a little alarming -- I wanted to update the title in a few weeks announcing a quest for beta testers. Oh well.)

You still get the free lifetime supply of nuzzles, though. Use them wisely...

3. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    on which devices will the game run?

and is there a system like in pokemon ,where you need some abilities from your monster ( puppy ) to proceed , like in pokemon you can cut down trees when a certain pokemon has a certain skill
    also when you chance the appearance of the character , will it affect certain aspects ( like you have a different your puppies do more damage )

4. iPhone 3G or later, iPod Touch 2nd gen or later, any iPad. Requires iOS 4. The iPad version will probably slip until after the iPhone/iPod touch version launches.

Yup, there are some obstacles in the overworld that you get to blow up, etc.

Hm, not yet, but that's a great idea! We might have to add a perk system for the player character as well...

5. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Oh excuse me! I said I don't like it. That's rude. I mean I like some of it. The over world with the human characters look great but the monsters could be drawn better and the battle system could look more like it flows together. The attacks look kinda stiff. Monsters could have motions for the attacks. I apologize for my last comment. I did not mean it.

6. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I would love to see you guys do a real retro Pokemon remake with the Pokemon Blue graphics but with new monsters, characters, gym leaders, levelling up, battles, catching pokemon, etc after this release. One team attempted it last year but failed. I would pay 20 bucks for it honestly.

You can change the thread title by going to the original post and clicking on the red button on the top right hand corner of the post.

7. Hey, no apologies necessary -- you're more than entitled to your opinion, after all, and we value any and all feedback.

As to the stiffness of the battles, all I can say right now is that there's a gameplay reason the animations look the way they do. We'll be announcing additional features soon. :)

8. Hm... If you can find 10 others willing to pay that much, we'll do it. :D

9. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    i think it is easier to find 20 people that pay 5$ :)

hmmm as i only got a first gen ipod i gotta wait til i get my iphone the next monthes :(

10. Sorry, the original hardware doesn't have quite enough power, and the game uses some iOS4-specific features. But since Puppysaurus will take a few more months to complete, it can be your first app on your new phone. :)

11. steelsauce

steelsauce Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Now this is what I've been waiting for! Art style isn't my favorite, but it doesn't take itself too seriously and it's done well. How deep of an rpg will it be? Are there types, items, evolutions, that kind of thing? Not that there needs to be. Oh, what about pvp battles? That would be awesome!

12. Will011

Will011 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    would this be compatible with the ipod 2g? :)

13. yendi

yendi Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Heh. Double rainbow and "pew pew?" I'll at least have to take a look when it comes out.

14. PvP will be definitely be there. :)

Also, I feel like I have to manage expectations here -- Puppysaurus is definitely Pokemon-like, but it is not a straight-up Pokemon clone. So there's no types in the Pokemon sense; but the moves do fall into categories, and understanding how those categories do and don't work together is key to the strategy in the game.

There are no evolutions, but we hope to make up for that by providing lots of updates with new creatures and new abilities.

There's no equivalent to in-battle "held" items (not in the first version, anyway; we have a buff system designed but cut it due to time constraints) but there is a Perk system, which is sort of similar to Pokemon's "abilities" or what you'd use a Berry for in that game.

Puppysaurus is compatible with anything that can run iOS 4, so, yes. :)

Thanks! And my personal favorite is "The Outer Space." :D

15. King Spence

King Spence New Member

May 14, 2011
    I was excited for this after reading "Pokemon Clone" somewhere else; the gameplay art turned me off immediately. I'm a pretty open minded guy too, but the gameplay is WAY too cutesy and loving to be taken serious. The sounds the monsters make are way too over board, it sounds like I'm throwing some plush stuffed animals at each other.

It's probably too late into development to really change this, but please tone down the cutesy art and sound a little bit. Anyone looking to get a Pokemon-esque from this will be turned off instantly, and that's a lot of people. The over world looks fine, it's just the design of the monsters themselves, the gameplay art, and the sounds they make.

16. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    You're telling "fuzzyprofessorhead" to not be so cutesy. Wha??

17. KoOne23

KoOne23 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Wait... What do you use to catch the uhh puppies? I would love to see a pokeball clone :p...

If an exact same pokemon version for the iOS comes out... I will gladly pay at least $10 for it :) Probably more, depends.

18. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    #38 mattll, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
    yay , now we got 3 people in this thread , who would pay that amount of money for a pokemon game :)

@fuzzyprofessorhead
    puppysaurus wont be the first game i play on my new iphone :(
    ( as i just got it and i gonna buy a few otherĀ“s before :) )

19. lovehammer

lovehammer New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    I'm actually developing a Pokemon clone, that will be more true to the original series, with 2 of my friends. Its not much more right now, than 20-30ish monster ideas, and the first 3 chapters of the storyline, and I'm currently learning Objective C, but soon enough, I hope to give you some friendly competition=)

We plan on making it 2D and matching similar to the original games graphics.

20. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    As happy as I am to hear that lovehammer, it's kind of rude to come into another dev's thread and push news of your game right in the middle of it. Especially when there's currently no art yet.

When you have a prototype screenshot to share and some additional info, make your own thread and we can all talk about it there, okay? Many have talked about making Pokemon clones before, and some even had art, but none have gotten as far as a video. Don't get anyone's hopes up just yet.