Universal Quadropus Rampage (by Butterscotch Shenanigans)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Jun 14, 2013.

1. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Solid game, plays fluidly on the iphone 4. Bastions meets Binding of Isaac with squid butts. Will certainly spend hours with this one

2. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    #82 JagerBombS, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    This Quadropus is smashing my face so hard! Awesome! I found an orange called "Cream Filled Twit from Iowa" and almost shot hot coffee out of my nose holes.....

Edit: Left my 5 stars everywhere.

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #83 Qwertz555, Jun 14, 2013
    'Bad' things first...

And it's a fast battery drainer, imo. Anyone else thinks that ?
    (Or my iphone5 got weak and old fast)

Beside that, it's simply an awesome enjoyable game, well done Devs !

Edit: i bought the starter pack, just saying.

4. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2013
    I'd call it moderate battery drain

5. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    This game is like the fruit of the month club- it just keeps on giving:) cheers and 5 stars to you my fellow Midwesterners :) now off to iTunes to 5 you .

I think I need to name a beer after you guys , a golden buttery ale with a hoppy bite followed with a smooth toffee finish. I dabble in home brewing ;)

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #86 Vovin, Jun 14, 2013

If this should ever happen to somebody, be sure that the Scotchies will help to fix that in an instant!
    Well, at least I THINK SO. Did you HEAR ME, SETH?

But you have a point here. Possibly they've missed this while designing the IAP.

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

What's the enemy variety like? So far I've only seen the laser anglers, the hammerheads, and the red enemies that shoot blue projectiles

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You have the game, it's a free download... experience it like the rest of us. So far your observations seem consistent with mine and enemy variety seems to increase as you descend.

9. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    No restore purchase button? Guess I bought the 1.99 iap twice then. S'all good, game is great fun. Just sayin..

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    All the IAP in Quadropus Rampage is consumable one time use items so there would be nothing to restore (i.e. you can't infinitly restory purchase to get more orbs).

11. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    Yeah, fair enough. It's just a bit annoying having to purchase the same iap on both my phone and iPad. It's ok though, it's not like anyone forced me too, I'm happy to support these devs.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #92 LordGek, Jun 14, 2013
    Game Impressions

Gosh dang it this game is awesomeness!

Just like the Shiren the Wanderer games, your character is just as much about your unique personal skills as it is your gear, which in this game is JUST your current weapon.

I love the concept of Masteries! An achievement that gives you a cool persistent switchable perk. So am I to understand I can switch its effect at anytime even mid-game?

Not sure if this was already mentioned bu this game gives off MAJOR Toejam and Earl vibatations in a good way! :D

I also love that, even if you want to drop endless real world cash on the game, the game only allows for one purchaseable resurrect per run so the stats have some integrity.

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #93 Vovin, Jun 14, 2013
    Very funny interview with the Butterscotch Shenanigans:

http://bit.ly/198PbPO

Wow. Even in interviews, Sam is able to speak in capitalized letters.

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #94 undeadcow, Jun 14, 2013
    Quadropus Rampage is a lot of fun, really addictive.

Maybe this is frivolous but I know of missing having a score calculation. It'd be interesting to have a way to compare runs other than just how deep that was a composite of additional factors like enemies killed, orbs collected, etc. Even if there's not a score calculation the more end game stats the better. Rewarding doubloons on the basis of good scores is another idea.

15. ButterscotchSeth

ButterscotchSeth Active Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 28, 2013
    We did have a score in the initial version of the game that we made for the 7-day roguelike challenge, but it just felt kind of arbitrary. People we talked to tended to focus much more on how many meters they went, so we decided to just pull the focus toward that.

Luckily for you, we'll be adding many more stats to the stats page SOON. And some more leaderboards to play with. WHEE!

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Too true as your deepest run and most kills in a run aren't likely to be from the same run, an actual composite score for a run would be nice.

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #97 undeadcow, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    I really like the green sinkholes that seem to lead to more lively levels.

Is there a way to control Bingo that I am overlooking or does he just run around independently? I'm gunning for the Bingo mastery unlock.
    Hopefully you'll consider re-instating the score; it looks so at home in the upper right corner. It doesn't seem necessary to show how many Doubloons players have mid-gameplay so you could excise that of you need screen space for a score. :D
    [​IMG]

Good news!
    Yeah, I noticed if I wanted to push for higher "acclaim" I could just fall off the map a few times when enemies got hard and my cowardly deeds were "rewarded" by what seemed to be a nicer run; but instead is was a vile "walk" of shame and avoidance. I'm a bit surprised, you would think the folks at Butterscotch Shenanigans would do what they could to encourage wanton destruction and combat.

18. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    #98 mekanikal fiend, Jun 14, 2013
    i bought the coin doubler, and am super happy, but the weapon that they give you to start seems so overpowered, i have to get to about 100 meters to find a weapon that is better than it. seems to make all the weapons you find before worthless that you run into until you get real deep.

i usually just take the first weapon i see just so that the "fun" of finding a good weapon remains

cool idea, but you should just get the weapon for like 3 runs or something.

awesome game, hope that your new pricing scheme makes you tons of money, would hate it if you guys went broke.

19. ButterscotchSeth

Patreon Indie

Feb 28, 2013
    That's always been a subject of debate for us. Still, there are some important considerations to falling. For starters, once you get fairly deep, hitting the ground will knock off about 40% of your health. If you happen to land amidst a particularly unlucky patch of enemies, that's especially bad. Also, there are some masteries (like Under Pressure, which refreshes your smash cooldown) that trigger upon starting a new depth, but they only work if you go to the new depth through the portal.

Also of consideration is that you miss out on XP, which increases your total health, and the possibility of finding a better weapon. We figured we'd leave the decision in the hands of the player whether they wanted to take the risk for the chance of going deeper faster. It's a legitimate strategy!

20. ButterscotchSeth

Patreon Indie

Feb 28, 2013
    We'll definitely be nerfing the Bscotch Hammer. We uh... We got carried away.