iPhone Quarriors! - (by Icarus Studios, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Appletini, Nov 28, 2013.

1. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    5/10 from PocketGamer... :x Was just about to dive in too.

Guess i'll wait for a price drop.

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Your loss. Don't believe the hate. I was completely new to this game before getting the app, and I've had no problems learning it after two games and about that many minutes looking at the rules. There are some bugs with the initial release, but they have already submitted an update to Apple that addresses them. This is a great, fun, pretty light card/dice (primarily dice) game that can be enjoyed in short bursts, since games don't take that long (against the AI, of course MP asynch will take longer).

3. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I guess it is. Can only hope for an XMas sale, perhaps... too many other tempting releases to choose from :eek:

4. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah, I suppose, but it's pretty sad that you let one review sway your decision that much.

5. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Good game, no bugs so far. Ok, the AI is just for starters at the moment, but pass and play and GC Multiplayer is good fun. Will get the expansions for sure.

6. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    I love the game. I've never played the real dice version but had heard enough about it to look forward to this. I really think the tutorial needs to be beefed up though, or at least have the manual available in the game. I had absolutely no idea what was going on until I found the PDF version.

I have found a couple of bugs, sometimes when I go to cull dice, the box in the. Idle of the screen where the culled dice go and the confirm button disappear. All it takes is to go back to the main menu and then return to my game and it's there. Definitely not a game breaker.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I see they are committed to working the bugs out and are already at work bringing out the expansions, it sure would mean a lot to me if they continue to work on the AI. Otherwise thanks for a great port!

8. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    While they certainly pick up interesting indie stuff now and then, I find Pocketgamer's reviews often only so-so. If you want to know about boardgame apps, go to Boardgamegeek's iOS pages.

9. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    And reviews, no matter where you read or watch them, are just other people's opinions.

10. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Update is out!

What's New in Version 1.0.1

The issue with capturing all Quarry dice for zero Quiddity after using the Strong Devotee of the Holy Query's burst ability has been resolved (only get one die for free as stated on card).
    Corrected the behavior of the Victory die's Draw and Re-roll face.
    The Deathdealer's ability now occurs before the effect of attached Shaping Incantation spells.

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Correct me if I am wrong: looks like during a multiplayer game, what my opponent does in the previous turn is not shown, correct?

12. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I love Quarriors, have all the physical sets and promo cards for it. That said, the online play in this game is atrocious. Either they need to have live online games, or they need to modify the game to work with async play. Having the game stop until someone logs on to set their single defender that has to block, to block, is just silly. The game looks aesthetically appealing, but it is TOO faithful to the original to work async.

Also, they really need to push the advanced culling rules out. The base scoring rules didn't work on release which is why advanced culling was introduced even before the first expansion. Playing this release with these rules reminds me how far the game has evolved and how much better it is now with expansions and proper mechanics than it was with the core set and system.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    How would advance culling work WITHOUT means to cull quiddity qubes yet?

14. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Quite well. Having few ways to cull basic quiddity is one of the major reasons the advanced rules work so much better. You can get rid of assistants easily enough, but you generally have those 8 basic quiddity in the bag, preventing the run away leader issue of one or two powerful dice constantly reappearing that plagued Quarriors when it was first released. This does make some creatures like the ghost that culls quiddity very powerful, but in general, the advanced rules make a lot more monsters and spells viable than the base rules and a worthwhile trade-off. The advanced rules bring Quarriors more inline with most other deck-builders in that you can't easily widdle your deck down to a point were you just draw the same 6 dice every turn.

I've played Quarriors since release and through every expansion, switching to the advanced rules after Rise of the Demons. There simply is no reason to go back as the mechanics work overall better now than they did with the culling rules in the base game. Games have less abrupt endings and one-sided victories. Although certainly the expansions are all eagerly awaited, for the game really shines with at least Quarmageddon, even with just the base set players are really missing out not having access to the rules the designers themselves admitted were initially used during development of the game and since release have been included in the new rulebooks due to player demand.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Fair enough, they promised the expansions and will SURELY include the advanced culling once the first of these hit.

16. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    My understanding is that Quarmaggedon will be the first, skipping Rise of the Demons. The advanced rules were officially introduced in Quarmaggedon, so that may well be the reason.

Regardless though, the online play needs tweaking. For instance, if I have no spells or creatures with abilities, why does the game need to stop until I log in to determine that my one assistant will block an attack? There is no decision there as per the rules I have choice. Things like that which should be done automatically have turned the async play into a grind simply getting past the first few rolls in a 4 player game. Really there are few situations were a player actually needs to be present on another players turn to decide how something plays out, certainly that could be factored in for a smoother online experience.

17. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Sorry but:

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You can see it in the log at least.

19. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    So a bit of possibly good news: I posted Icarus's FB a while back complaining about the lack of communication and patching and they just responded today saying there will be an announcement Monday. My guess is it's likely the first expansion, and hopefully it comes out with some badly needed tweaking for the AI.

20. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah, I resorted to playing against myself because the AI sucked so bad, and at least with myself I could implement the advanced culling rule, lol.