iPhone Quarriors! - (by Icarus Studios, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Appletini, Nov 28, 2013.

1. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Well It is now a new month and I see no new update yet for Quarriors..... :(

2. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
  3. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #123 Mack the Knife, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    start speculating! that's what forums are for! Quartifacts? enhancements? or just bug fixes ---

enhancements i'd like to see -
    1) i've asked and i hope they include an option that turns on/off all those HUGE banners that fill half the screen telling you what to do: CAPTURE FROM THE WILDS, IMMEDIATE ACTIONS, SUMMON CREATURES. once you know the game they are just in the way - let me turn them off.

2) the Rules section is very blurry on my non-retina ipad 2. they should clean that up a little.

4. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I think it's almost guaranteed that they are releasing the first IOS expansion and that it will Quarmageddon. I base this on interviews when the game was first released on IOS. I would then assume that advanced culling will also be added.

What I am hoping for is AI improvement, multiplayer UI improvement, and bug fixes. I'd also like the promo cards to be added, especially multiplying imps which is a really fun creature.

5. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
  6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow, the expansion will be $2 but they are going to have the base game FREE for a limited time when it comes out, so if you have not bought it yet you will only be paying $2 for the whole thing, but those of us that supported them from when the app first came out with broken AI will have paid $6 for the whole thing.

Does anyone else think that they should give those of us that paid $4 for the base game the expansion for free?

7. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
  8. Xaintrix

Xaintrix Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    No. I figure our initial purchase affords the company to do this and attract new players. I own the real version of this and Quartifacts and the value of the app is pretty big compared to the real deal even without the dozens if pretty cool dice now in my collection. At 2-3 bucks an expansion I'm pretty much set on these as Day 1 buys.

9. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    I see your point. I'm going to see if the AI is actually playable, though, before I blow even $2 more on the expansion.

10. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Yeah, I'm not too bothered about the base game going free. Heck, things go on sale all the time. Currently, I've played the base game quite a bit, and feel I've got my money's worth having it since I have. I just hope a lot of the technical issues get cleaned up and that the game seems some continued support. Originally they claimed the plan was to release all the expansions, but I wonder if sales of such a niche game will allow for that.

11. Xaintrix

May 29, 2010
    Totally fair. You should only buy that which you find value in! For what it's worth, I think Quartifacts changes the game enough and is my favorite expansion (enough to buy the real deal). Quarmageddon is pretty fun though.

12. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    The big thing Quarmageddon does for the game is fixes the lopsided balance issues the base game has in regards to defense. The base game has two highly defensive creatures, the Knight and the Wizard, both boasting 8 defense at level 3. Even the Witching hag has a respectable 5 defense at level 2. However, only the dragon can reach 6+ offense without boosts and with any level of dependability, the Ooze being too random in max stats.

Take Quarmageddon then. You get Trolls with level 3 face being 6/6, you get Heavenly Seraph with 7/5, and 7/7 faces, Lord of the Quarry has 8/6 for level 3, and Voodoo Doll has 6/4. In addition, a few of the powers specifically target big units or boost small units. This expansion may not have been the most exciting mechanics wise, but the monster stats went a long way to making offense as reliably viable as defense.

13. Xaintrix

May 29, 2010
    Great breakdown of Quarmageddon! Yeah in the base game it often came down to a race of dice draw and portals just to mass enough power to smash down turtling players. I like Quartifacts as it forced you to make decisions about where you attack instead of simply hit everyone. (And getting the bigger Quartifact die was always so cool.) Still, I think all of the expansions bring pretty good value to the table. I just hope the AI is up to snuff. Expansion day can't come soon enough.

14. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I am a bit disappointed that the multiplayer UI has no enhancement mentioned, which could have been better. Anyway, we shall see when the update is available.

15. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    They did mention general multiplayer improvement, so who knows, it certainly needs tweaking. My biggest issue is the tediousness of logging in to agree that, yes, my one creature who has to block will in fact block.

16. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Any word on when the update is releasing?

17. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    MFV, the company behind the IOS version seems as tight lipped as Wizkids themselves. The most I've heard is "sometime this February" which hopefully doesn't mean March :p

18. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Or a soft launch, lol.

19. bungho

bungho Member

Sep 4, 2012
    So I played the tutorial. OK, I have no idea what's going on.
    Read the board game rules. Ok, looks pretty straight forward. I get it.
    Play the game again. WTF is going on?

Questions: why is there a 'Spent' area? The rules state when you spend Quiddity to move the die from the 'Active pool' to the 'Used pile'. There isn't a 'Spent' area in the board game.

Phase 5 of the rules states I can capture one Quarry die from the wilds. Why does the game show a banner for two and let me capture two Quarry die?

Where is the strategy for summoning creatures? Why would I not always want to summon every creature I can? When I summon, they attack the opponents creatures and possibly kill them, there is no counter-attack to my creatures. The next step is the opponent counts his surviving creatures and moves them to the used pile. He then rolls and if he summons any creatures, he attacks the ones I placed the previous turn. When I summon my creatures, I have no idea what he will be attacking me with on his turn, if any, so there is no reason I wouldn't want to summon all the creatures I can. Where is the strategy in that?

I seem to get more Quiditty than I should to capture dice from the wilds. When I spend Quiddity to summon a creature, isn't that die spent and should go to the used pile?

The game adds confusion with the turn steps. A banner pops up stating it's my turn when the AI is attacking me and it's still the AI's turn. It pops up again when it really is my turn. I can't believe that slipped through QA.

On my turn, there is no animation or indication that I attacked with my creatures or what the result was. The AI's creature dice just disappear if I had enough attack to kill it.

It's hard to learn a new game when the AI plays poorly. I've crushed the AI in first 10 games and I still don't have a good idea of what's going on. It seems there should be more depth than this. I think there is potentially a great game here, if I can find it.

20. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I had a lot of trouble getting into quarriors, the tutorial was terrible and I knew nothing about the game from before. I even considered deleting it without ever really understanding how to play the game.

In some ways I'm glad I stuck with it and I will be buying the expansion. Lets see if I can point you in the right direction.

Combat. I summon my creatures, they attack and hopefully you have enough attack power to kill some defenders. On the opponents turn your attackers become defenders and try to survive against what he summons in his turn. At the start of your turn any defenders that survived turn into glory/victory points and (very important!) you get to cull one dice from your used pile for each dice that scored points.

There are some times where I won't summon every creature I can. Sometimes I will want to save my mana/quiddity so I have enough to capture a dice from the middle of the table during the next part of my turn.