Universal QuestLord (by Lava Level)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by LavaLevel, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    This game reminds me of Shining in the Darkness. I'm downloading now thanks to the positive impressions, thanks guys. A nice surprise to wake up to. :D

2. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I'm leaving a 5 star review on the UK store. I hope this does well for the dev because its awesome. At last something to loosen the grip of Heroes & Castles !

3. rpgmind

rpgmind Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    For real! This was one of the older games on my watch list! Glad to suddenly have it without the 'teaser' articles announcing delays for a change.

4. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Been playing on my iPad mini, thoughts so far:

1. Where is the spell-book? I found a spell (necromancer quest) and don't have the book yet...

2. Any chance of upping the resolution? It looks REALLY blurry on iPad in the game screen, pixels are massive (might be better on the phone?).

3. Any chance of auto collect loot / having the ambient music continue when you enter the map? it's pretty jarring when it goes silent every time you pick up an item / check the map.

Solid work though :)

5. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Just tried the game on the iPad after enjoying it on the phone, and it seriously makes me feel like I need glasses. By no stretch of the imagination is this acceptable.

6. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    The graphics are pretty good on my iPod 4G in my opinion. I'm really enjoying this game, but the controls are the only thing that is bugging me. I'm used to how the controls are in Undercroft and The Quest. I keep clicking on the inventory, but I think I'll get used to the controls.

7. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Just flick the 3D switch on, it will enhance your enjoyment....oh sorry wrong hardware:)

8. reweblind

reweblind Active Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Graphic Artist
    Philippines
    Awesome game! Just a kind of game I was looking for. The pixel art is top notch :) thanks to the devs!

Just a lil request for future update, could you guys move the "home-go-to-main-menu" button somewhere else. I press the buttons too fast (hehehehe), and often "quit" the game to the main menu. Thanks guys :)

9. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    This game is way better than shining in the darkness and I liked that game back in the day. Also, about the graphics. Keep with it guys I think you will get used to them. I actually appreciate the softness of the graphics because if you relax your eyes It's kind of nice. This is weird but true for me. I do think maybe the nonplayer characters could be sharper on top of the soft background.

10. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    Did you just say.... Shining in the Darkness??? Ummmmm... I think I need to buy this.

11. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    #71 grits, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    It's like the open world sequel. I think it's the art style that is reminiscent. And of course the gameplay somewhat.

Ps
    Enemies, combat animations and sound effects are cool!
    Spend those two Ducketts people it's well worth it!

Edit: How about holding down the button to move forward. Maybe two steps a second or something.

12. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    Very impressed with this game so far. Love the roguelike quick game.

13. wall25

wall25 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Yea I was wondering where the spell book was also! Anyone have any ideas??

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Got mine in the land of the Elves

15. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    My first impressions: Excellent - love the attention to environment detail (shadows on the torches and such). The retro graphics look great and stay true to the pre-windows dos era style I grew up with.

I needed to read the manual to figure out combat, rest was self explanatory (kind of wished the manual was in-app, though).

Some minor UI gripes - the home button is awkwardly placed and I have found myself quitting the game a few times.

Overall - super happy with this game - it is simple enough that I can play for a few minutes at a time but has enough depth to sustain longer play sessions. So far I have put about 2 hours into the game.

16. g0omba

g0omba Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I like this game a lot but a few things bother me....

1.) no wait button; this would be nice since it takes an extra turn to round a corner and the enemy can attack you 2x. That or not have turning around count as a turn.

2.) spells I think are kind of cumbersome to change

17. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    There is a wait button on the right.

18. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do not underestimate the awesomeness of shield bash. With a shield equipt/raised swipe up. It is the melee counter to "spellbook."

From manual :

19. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    You have to give an "offering" (a food/potion item) by dropping it in the space in front of it.

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    iPad 2, right? Now imagine what you'd need to wear with an iPad 4. >_>