Rage for iPhone (and iPad)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by squarezero, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    What makes you think it'll be on-rails?

2. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    It's 1.5 GB, the iPhone 4 version. The full console version is 20GB.

3. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    If they ported the full 20 gb version and charged us 30 to 50 bucks for it and it was awesome how many of u ppl would actually buy it? be honest?

4. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    well squareenix always pushes price and you can count on that every time. Heck even on psp they push price with the ff anthology. They do on every system.

5. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    Hmmm.... Well 20gb would mean that with all music deleted from my 32gb iPod I would still be able to keep my high-score games.... Yep I would buy it if it actualy was awesome.:p

6. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    anyone remembered some article said there will be 'tech demo' scheduled this year and the 'real one' will come with the console version?
    so this will be the 'tech demo'? but after i read the article it seems no more Rage next year?? and they said it'll have almost the same gameplay with Doom resurrection but with more freedom to look which might mean it will also be on-rails?
    too many questions marks! LOL! :D

7. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    I'm betting the "tech demo" was cancelled when Epic Citadel beat them to the punch and they put all their resources to getting a game out before Project Sword. Also, the $.99/$1.99 price on this seems to me as a way to screw with Epic's plans to release Project Sword around the same time, probably forcing Epic to come in at a low price now instead of a more premium price.

But whatever, I'm all over this. ^_^ I'm looking forward to an amazing iOS Holiday season of gaming!

8. altair77

altair77 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greece,Athens
    i whould for sure

9. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    It is a tech demo - it's not a proper game and is just showcasing the technology for a proper, fully fledged mobile version of RAGE to be out next year.

10. I WOULD!!!
    I hope that's the case, cause I was really hoping for something better than this.

11. Derochea72

Derochea72 Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Floor installer
    Ma
    I would certaintly trade up my 16g iPhone 4 for a bigger one if this was an awesome 20g full game that wasn't on rails and I would do the same for a full experience call of duty if that ever happens ( my fingers are still crossed because it can happen )

12. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    because carmack says so multiple times in the blog entrie..

13. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    So it's on rails? That's a bummer.

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #74 LBG, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
    Which blog? Can you post a link or something?
    From the video demonstration it doesn't appear to be on-rails. If it is on rails then they've done a good job of hiding it.

edit - did you mean this blog? http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/10/29/john-carmack-discusses-rage-on-iphoneipadipod-touch/

I quickly read through it and didn't read anything about it being on rails. It did mention that it would be built using the Doom Ressurection codebase, but does that mean it'll be on rails?

15. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Only the Xbox 360/Ps3 version is 20GB. The iphone 4 version is 1.5GB. Still, that's huge. Unless you have a 64GB ipod touch 4, which I don't and most people don't, then that is a lot of space.

16. Just give me a few months and I'll have one :D and then just give me a few hours after, and it'll be jailbroken ;)

17. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    He didn't outright say it, but he sort of implied it when he said "What we did have was Doom Resurrection, which was developed for us by Escalation Studios, with only a few pointers here and there from me. The play style was a pretty close match (there is much more freedom to look around in RAGE), so it seemed like a sensible thing."

Which pretty much says to me that it's on rails, but you can look around instead of having the game look around for you.

Dunno, it's up to debate I suppose.

18. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    yes this blog post..

maybe you should read it again and try to actualy understand what he is writing.. its all over the text that its on rail again
    especially the technical blurb he goes in lengthy where he describes how they are optimizing their mega texture usage along the path etc. etc.
    he even names the 5 main gameplay aspects of "rage"...

"This is the perfect setup for a quintessential first person shooter game play experience — you pick your targets, aim your shots, time your reloads, dodge the bad guys, and try and make it through to the end of the level with a better score than last time."

if you played doom ressurection on iphone you would know exactly what he is talking about..

19. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    I do the same thing on Modern Combat 2 and Call of Duty Zombies..

- And didnt we all see the demo like a few months ago of what the game would be/look like

20. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    oh jeez.. now even people don't even know what they see.. hey mr wiseguy.. to lookup the video you are talking about.. its part of an old article that is linkes on the article on TA frontpage...

what one can see is an on rail shooter (without the shooting)... if you can't see that.. one must take off their stupid pink fanboy glasses.. nowerdays the kids can't even understand 3 pages of text and grasp whats going on in a video.. jeez..

how can someone be so naive to think that the actual rage game is coming to the iphone.. how that should be even possible on current 4rd gen..

epic citadel pushes the envelope but its just a tech demo.. there is nothing going on in there , just rendering of pretty polygones.. and its running at around 15 fps on the iphone4 in the busy spots.. so it would crawl if there would be actualy rpg like oblivion being run with this "body" on it..

the iphone4 is strong.. but its not as strong as people might believe.

well i won't like destroy all youre dreams of fully detailed 360 titles on the iphone..so i just get back into the mass next to the others and let other do the thinking.. so ... mooohhh!