Rampant Speculation about the Apple Tablet

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Sinecure Industries, Jan 18, 2010.

1. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    if it turns out to be:
    -light, portable
    -11"-13" touchscreen
    -run MacOS
    -possible to run Xcode + IphoneSDK
    -3G support

then its a confirmed buy for me :D

2. I agree. I think that chances of it running full OS X are basically zero. It's not going to be a "computer".

3. HappyFuntime

HappyFuntime Active Member

Given some of the stuff I've been reading in the media lately, it looks like this will be the case (not a computer). This seems like a product for the consumer market anyway. I've been trying to think about how things like XCode or Photoshop would run on a tablet, I'm not sure if I can envision that, really, but it would still be cool in theory. Even if the software I use on a daily basis were able to run on it, I'm not sure I could get any serious work done without a keyboard and a mouse attached though!

In any case, it looks like we'll be finding out this Wednesday!

4. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Tomorrow is the big day, very exciting :D

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If it's "not a computer" they've already lost a few sales from people on this forum :p

Why buy some jumped-up iPhone to replace... an iPhone? I'm sure a 10" phone could sound appealing to someone who's just emerged from a cryogenic chamber having been locked away for 30 years...

6. Sinecure Industries

To be completely honest, I'm still waiting for that computer from Minority Report

7. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm kind of joining you here.

Even if I'm excitingly waiting for tomorrow, I just can't find a reason to own such a device, except for dev.

It's too big to be used everywhere as easily as the iPhone, and it's too small to compete with a real laptop indoors.

On the other hand, I'm sure that Apple already know that.
    And to be honest, what's exciting me the most about tomorrow is how they managed to bypass those cons and create a new need.

Because I'm sure they will.

8. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #28 Flickitty, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    How can you not see PhotoShop running on a Tablet?

I've had a tablet for a couple years- the screen rotates around to make the whole thing flat. Like a tablet. PhotoShop is really easy to work with in that format, in fact almost anything that requires minimal use of a keyboard is beneficial. Music and Video editing software included.

Virtual keyboards are available onscreen (just like the iPhone) if you need to input a small amount of text.

As for XCode, it would definitely require a keyboard for that. Which would make this even cooler- the tablet could be used as a monitor.

However, I'm banking on Apple to screw this up by making it non-compatible with OSX applications. It will very likely run a version of the iPhone OS.

9. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    It's not about whether it's "a computer" or "a big iTouch," because it will be neither.

My money is on this guy's predictions. He's a digital advertising maven in San Francisco, brother of MikaMobile founder Noah Bordner, smart as hell and deep in the info-stream for this kind of thing.

http://www.anarchyintheui.com/

10. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Now this is so obvious ...

I didn't see it coming, but now it's perfectly clear to my mind :
    Instead of using that painful virtual keyboard, we will be able to write what we want to type. Which is, technically, 10 times faster than typing on any virtual keyboard.

That would make perfect sense with Apple latest saying of "amazing new ways to interact".
    Instant messengers, Web requests, articles, notepads, Contact calls, SMS, etc ... There are so many applications that would be so much faster to execute, and so much more natural.

That was so obvious ...

Thanks for the link.

11. etoiles

etoiles Well-Known Member

The tablet could redefine what a 'media center' is... not a clunky computer collecting dust bunnies next to your TV, but something you can move around the house, read magazines and books, use as a picture frame, access movies to play on your TV, music, play games. If there is a camera/mic, you can use it as a home phone.

Apple certainly won't try to compete with their other products, it is not going to be meant to be carried around all the time (iPhone) or do 'serious' work requiring a lot of typing (Mac Book).

Tomorrow will be an exciting day.

12. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer

I totally agree with you on the second paragraph. This new thing will be the thing you carry into meetings or school classes only. Something like a pad really.. and each "pad" would be able to share data with each other quickly.. graphs, images, cad drawings etc..

I just hope it will be based on iPhone SDK, so that we all iphone dev have longer future and broad coverage for our businesses. *crossing my fingers*:p

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #33 MidianGTX, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    I'm not sold on the name "iPad". He seems to think it's a sure bet but I don't think Apple would want a name so similar to iPod. A one-letter difference could confuse people who aren't totally up to date on gadgets and tech, a parent buying a Christmas present for example.

Oh, and this sounds horrible:

"The iPad will tell you're trying to write when you ball up your fist as if you had a pen in it and lay it on the screen. True story. And why the hell not?"

If I'm gonna be making that shape with my hand anyway, I'll just stick to using a pen. The idea of a touch screen is to simplify the gestures we have to make, no one would use one if you were forced to position your hand as though you were holding a mouse and control the cursor that way.

14. HappyFuntime

Haha, fair enough. That was a pretty bad example. I'm just saying there's a lot of desktop ui functionality that might be hard to replicate and make usable on the touch screen. Just think trying to touch through tons of little drop down menus with your big, meaty finger :)

15. HappyFuntime

I'm fairly certain this is gonna happen. Apple's got a good thing going with their App Store, they're not about to abandon it now.

16. Read the article. Nothing jumped out at me as new though. I've heard all those rumors before.

Hardware-wise though it sounds exactly like a big iPod Touch to me, which is what I expect to see tomorrow (although I hope they freshen the look a bit).

Even if the focus shifts to digital print & Kindle killing, I still expect that in general operation the UI will behave a lot like an iPod Touch, but hopefully with a better way to manage hundreds of applications (stacks? folders? something new?).

The other software features like handwriting recognition sound pretty plausible too, but it doesn't fundamentally change the device itself. It just gives it a killer app, which Apple always seems to manage to do.

It wasn't mentioned in the article, but I expect the resolution of this thing to be at least 1440x960 to keep it around 160-170 pixels per inch.

17. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I believe the author said that he was sorting out the existing rumors. AT this point, it would be impossible to make an "original" guess, unless one wanted to say that they thought the new Apple device would be a bathtub filled with multi-colored bicycles.

18. Sinecure Industries

I thought our original post was fairly unique :eek:

19. This is just a rumor, but I heard that the bicycles will come in the same colors as the iPod Nano, and in fact will have a Nano built in!

You heard it here first!

20. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Well I personally believe that's why tablet computing has failed for so many years — Manufacturers just put Windows onto it — They're trying to put a keyboard/mouse operating system onto a touchscreen-controlled device.

…This is where Apple is different and does things right. They'll create a brand new system designed *specifically* for multi-touch controls. It's easy to think how difficult it would be navigating all the menus in Photoshop via touchscreen, but when you imagine the whole operating system, and all apps, including Photoshop, being completely redesigned from scratch, I think it could work. How about a tool palette docked on the left edge of the screen, with large icons, that is scrollable with a finger 'swish' like an iPhone menu? Or making a jar unscrewing motion to rotate? I think there is a ton of potential gestures and redesigns possible. I'm really excited to see what Apple and 3rd party developers do with it.