Rampant Speculation about the Apple Tablet

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Sinecure Industries, Jan 18, 2010.

1. etoiles

etoiles Well-Known Member

bicycles? Don't be ridiculous... who needs two wheels and brakes, unicycles are much sleeker.

2. davebaxter

davebaxter New Member

Jan 25, 2010
  3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
  4. Put me down for three iBathBikes!

I hadn't read the speculation on the handwriting recognition before, sounds plausible. If it is launched with the device I think it'll blow peoples minds, but in reality it'll be slower and more annoying than just typing on a virtual keyboard.

I've developed for windows tablets in the past. If this iPad (nice name but it's too similar to iPod) is anything like a full windows tablet it'll completely fail. That whole formfactor has been tried and just about proven to be a waste of time about as comprehensively as it can be. It's kind of handy for artists, but why not just have an external wacom input?

I think the questions of price and mobile contracts are the most interesting thing to me. Will people embrace a more expensive device with yet another contract? We'll see I guess.

5. HappyFuntime

HappyFuntime Active Member

Yeah they could have a Photoshop tablet edition with a touch interface and gesture-based editing for like $19.99... :D that would be great.

6. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    iPhone OS IS OS X. Whatever it runs, it's certain to run a version of OS X, so porting OS X applications should be quite easy.

I very much doubt Apple would outright let it run OS X software though, that would be horrible, like trying to browse desktop-centric websites on Safari on the iPhone. Bring on the Tablet App Store!

7. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

The CEO of McGraw-Hill already said it would run the iPhone OS, so any hope of it running OS X apps is useless at this point.

8. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    um no. porting isnt the right answer, neither is emulation. the iphone os only maintains compatibility and similarities at a low level- i cant swap applications between the two oses.

9. ziotoo4

ziotoo4 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Scott forstall just announced that it can run all iphone apps at double the size right out of the box.

That's great!

10. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Fixed that for ya. :p

11. ziotoo4

ziotoo4 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    [​IMG]

whoawhoa...NOVA running on it ;)
    seems cool!

12. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    So it can run iPhone apps at double the size, but there is still going to be a seperate SDK? Why can't we just make apps that can run on the iPad and then scale them down to the iPhone/iTouch? Is that what Apple is doing?

13. #54 MindJuice, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    They haven't said how that aspect will work yet, but the event is still ongoing. I expect to see a segment on the new SDK in a few minutes....or not.

I expect that you will be able to combine an iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad app into a single executable if you want, or you can tailor unique apps to each.

But that is just how I would do it if I designed the SDK.

14. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    #55 WellSpentYouth, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Ok, kind of like making a game just for the iPhone or just for the 3G models of the iPhone. That sounds about right :)

The pricing doesn't make sense. They are charging $500 for a device with no service and $600 something for a device that you have to pay service with (although there is no contract)? Doesn't that go against the laws of cellular networks? It is always cheaper for a phone/data device with service... Although the iPad doesn't have a contract..

15. You figured it out already. It's because there is no contract. Devices without contracts are always much more expensive.

For me, I just can't get that excited about the 3G part. I guess I am just not out and about enough that I'd be in the car and just HAVE TO download that new Miley Cyrus video, or download the New York Times RIGHT NOW. I'd normally download it at home, at work, or at a free WiFi hot spot. And I certainly wouldn't pay another $15-30/month for the data transfer when I already pay for it on my iPhone. I guess there must be a market for it though.

16. From the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/sdk/

iPhone Developer Program Members have access to:

[​IMG] iPhone SDK 3.2 beta

iPhone SDK 3.2 beta contains all the tools you need to start developing and optimizing iPhone OS applications for iPad.

[​IMG] iPad Simulator

The iPad Simulator lets you build and run your iPad application on your Mac, allowing you to lay out your user interface for the larger screen size, test your app’s memory usage, and shorten the debug cycle in the design process.

[​IMG] iPad Programming Guide

iPad provides new opportunities to create Multi-Touch iPhone OS applications on a larger display than ever. The iPad Programming Guide introduces new features available for iPad and how to implement those features in your applications.

[​IMG] iPad Human Interface Guidelines

Design an incredible user interface and user experience for your iPad application by following the iPad Human Interface Guidelines. Learn how to effectively use the new views and controls available to you to deliver unforgettable applications to your customers.

[​IMG] iPad Sample Code

Get started developing innovative universal applications for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch by downloading iPad sample code. Each sample code project is buildable and provides an example of how to accomplish a task for a specific technology.

[​IMG] Preparing Universal Applications

Developers can now start planning for universal applications, allowing them to take full advantage of the technologies found on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch with a single binary.

17. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    #58 WellSpentYouth, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    I agree, it makes no sense if you already have an iPhone with service, but I currently don't, so it sounds pretty good to me :)

18. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Well, now we all look like morons with our high expectations :rolleyes:
    But seriously, how can Apple have reached such a point of meh after the iPhone revolution ?

This tablet is nothing more of interest than a wide iPhone, which can't work on public transports because it's too big, and can't beat a home PC/Mac.

What's the freaking point, Apple ?

19. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    They talk about the SDK being available and a simulator but I see no such thing on the dev center? Personally I'd like to play with the simulator even though the product isn't super exciting.