Rampant Speculation about the Apple Tablet

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Sinecure Industries, Jan 18, 2010.

1. bryanmitchell

bryanmitchell Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Can we make sure the price point for iPad Games is not 99c, and closer to $9.99?

2. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Only if they disallow people to submit 99 cent apps; otherwise, the practice is illegal at least in the US.

3. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    epic 'meh'.

looks like i'm buying another Tablet PC. i can install OS X onto that.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What.

5. So what do the people who were right win?

Actually I'm kind of disappointed - the specs are exactly what I thought but the device is fatter and with a large ugly black border. Also the app doubling sounds crap. No multitasking isn't a big surprise but its a big let down. The price points and lack of contract if you do want 3g is nice.

6. GamerOutfit

Oct 28, 2008
    You can't price fix in the US. If the App Store allows apps to be sold at 99 cents (or for free,) you can't collude to fix the price for apps higher than that. The only "real" way to not sell apps at 99 cents would be for them to not be available at 99 cents in the first place. I'm not a lawyer and maybe you could figure a way around it, but I'd rather not tread in that territory personally.

Take for example this excerpt from Wikipedia on the subject:

7. Because it is a beta, you have to login and accept an agreement before you can see it and download it.

8. Apple can make any price limits they want. 99 cents is the current price limit. If there was anything illegal about imposing a limit, then a 99 cent limit would be just as illegal as a $9.99 limit.

9. GamerOutfit

Oct 28, 2008
    Ah, gotcha. See that now. Thanks much.