Universal RAVENMARK: Mercenaries - (by Witching Hour Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Creative Lead//Witching Hour Studios
    Heya dude,

There's a few reasons for the changes and I'll tackle them one at a time.

1) Fleet-footed. This was added in relation to the other traits. Looking at it alone, yes, it adds to the dominance of ranged elements. As a whole, the trait buffs are quite even. It's the only trait that's for ranged.

2) Nisshonen and Mallico's. We have been meaning to make these changes long before people started complaining - and we had intended to fix it at the element level, which throws off other brigades. Specifically, Nisshonen's change only affects one thing - it takes an extra round to blow things up. This doesn't really change the balance of the brigade, it only controls the frustration of players who get blown up on round 1 or 2. For Mallico's, it's been changed for weeks on the office server and we've been testing it furiously. That's why we haven't really commented on it. This change fits with the speed and aggressive flavour of the brigade.

3) Medals. That's a mistake actually.. that's the old values that we -intended-. The correct values are Attack and Armour are up to 6 and 8 for the badge and medal respectively. Health IS getting a nerf to 2 and 4. And yes, we'll be giving out some lodestones because of this change.

If we didn't test things and made sure it was ok to go, the update would have gone out two weeks ago.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks a lot for the quick answer, much appreciated!

Good to hear the Brigade bonus perks numbers were slightly off ;) the new ones look much better.

To the rest I replied on the Ravenmark forums, to keep things in one place.

3. Gilgilad

Gilgilad Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    #463 Gilgilad, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    I think I am more excited about this patch than any other patch that has ever been released in any game on iOS for me. :). The change list looks awesome, the arena will be so much fun, the 15 min turn limit will cater so much better to my preferred play style. I love the cooldown changes that no longer punish players but instead encourages more actual multiplayer battles being fought! I also like the medal changes, HP boost was obviously overpowered so now they hopefully will be more balanced and picking alternative traits will now have more appeal. I always picked hp for the +3 medals and then the initiative +1 instead of HP for the big badge though for most brigades anyway since I believe extra speed can give enough tactical advantage to overcome your opponent's extra health.

This UI change will be awesome, I really wanted this! Thank you!!!!!

Awesome patch guys, can't wait!!!!!!

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Haven't been playing as much lately. But this got me pumped! Especially the 153 medals thing :p

5. Gilgilad

May 15, 2013
    The devs have said on the main forums that they have submitted the new patch to Apple yesterday so just a few more days till awesomeness! I can barely contain my excitement! They are also resetting everyone's brigade medals for free so you can respec all your brigades based on the new balance changes. Sweet!

6. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Brilliant!

- More brigades!
    - New Map Zone!
    - Arena Quick Play High-Stakes matches with rankings!
    - Balancing of m-player!
    - More AI in the single-player stuff!

Tons more value added to what I've already invested. Be interesting to see the Renown of the player base!!

7. Crumston

Crumston Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    Hello guys!

Roar!

I am the bringer of good news. As always (not really). For those of you who have yet to get the first title... good news Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion is going on sale. You can check out the details on my post in the thread here!

[​IMG]

For the lazy, here is the URL for the app store: Click me!

Whattttt????!! Why the random sale?

No reason, really. Just that... you know the arena and all the other updates are here and all. Yeahhhh buddy!!!

Khai

8. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Fantastic update indeed

9. Gilgilad

May 15, 2013
    Yeah I am super pumped. Downloaded the update this morning before heading to work, can't wait to get home to play it this evening. Today might be a good day to suddenly get "sick" at work, might have to go home early. ;)

10. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Totally gonna buy Riff Raff Rabble!

But Hanson and Son's GOOOOOOOOOOOO! Vacation gets here in 5 hours.

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Really nice to see the update live. Already going through the new storyline.
    Now I just need to find time to actually try the new Brigades...

12. Gilgilad

May 15, 2013
    #472 Gilgilad, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    My first impressions of the new patch are beyond favorable, the patch is more like a full fledged expansion.

1. They removed timers & cool downs for multiplayer and border skirmishes. Brigade lock outs also removed so you can play any brigade you have any time you want. These changes have changed the fremium aspects to an absolute pure premium experience. This is beyond A+, I hope that the devs still make enough compensation on the game though. I bought some silver so hope it helps. :)

2. Arena is amazing. I love the maps so far and it is about the right size. I particularly like the map that has rocks in the middle but space enough for a single element to sneak through the middle. The 15 min turns lets you play an entire match in one sitting, or in my case 3 matches this evening in an hour and a half. This has been what I wanted from the start since I like the fast play and really appreciate the devs implementing this entire new feature.

3. New Major Skirmish. Adds to the storyline and the battles were quite fun, especially the last. I would complain it is too short but I know the devs were hard pressed getting the arena finished as quickly as possible and most of their resources are tied up with the testing the port to Android. Really looking forward to more missions.

4. Border skirmishes are so much more fun now. Lots more variety, and instead of just a boring 3% hit point gain for the AI, now the battles are getting tougher by more varied units with abilities. Plus add in the fact that completing the skirmishes donesn't trigger the cool downs anymore and these are actually a joy to play now instead of a chore.

5. New brigades. Haven't had a chance to test any of them out yet but they all look pretty sweet and add some new strategies to the table. I am going to experiment Wretched Sons with Te Tero, since the initiative debuff can let your earth shields move first to make the most use out of Tots' charge ability. Also the new shield bash on earth shields will be nice.

6. Balance changes. I really like the changes to Mallico and Nisshonen, while those brigades added unique strategies to the game, they were very frustrating for most players to play against. Not sure that I like the Nettlesong Lurkers buff though, they are very powerful now IMO. As for Infantry gaining crit on move, it is nice to make them more offensive, I think this is very balanced since pole arms get a bonus if they don't move.

Witching Hour Studios rocks! So awesome knowing the devs have been hard at work making the game better in every aspect! I know I am starting to sound like a fanboy but man this is my favorite multiplayer strategy game.

13. lockecole7

lockecole7 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    #473 lockecole7, Sep 13, 2013
    Not to be a debby downer but there are a few changes in the new update log that aren't listed. Earth shields getting shield advance for one, the exact changes to the old beginner brigades, and I'm pretty sure some other things.

14. Gilgilad

May 15, 2013
    #474 Gilgilad, Sep 13, 2013
    I don't have access to the game right now to see if it is listed in the change log in the game but a couple pages back in this thread the changelog was listed so you should take a look at it for the full changes. The following is an excerpt:
    The only thing in the game that I have seen that wasn't listed in the changelog is the Riff Raff Rabble, and that is referencing a joke brigade made by one of the players on the official forums:

http://forum.ravenmark-saga.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=610

15. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    I think the current 15-minute arena style will suit me. Atm, when I play, it's serious sessions. I'm sure later on I'll switch a bit more to the longer mode of async.

Had a blast with a few new games out atm, but back to Ravenmark should be good. It's definitely the game that makes me feel like my brain is working-out after playing it! ;)

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    WH, might we one day see battlefields which allow us to field 3 or 4 (or even more) brigades at once? Such a large-scale battle would probably be chaotic, confusing, messy, frustrating, and absolutely awesome.

I'm also curious about how Ravenmark: Mercenaries is doing in the App Store (hopefully far better than The Ravenmark Saga, and hopefully as good as both games deserve to do), and what possible future plans for the game might be stowed away in those creative noggins of yers.

17. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Heya dude, it's been a while! =)

We're currently working on an Android launch for both Ravenmark games right now, so we haven't really worked on new content. It's doing decently, but it's getting slower, as with all multiplayer games. We're hoping the android launch will revitalise the player base.

We're actually in the process of prepping for new titles. We're pretty excited about that!

18. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    The new build is out!

Release Build v1.06

Notification
    - A client update to v1.06 from all previous versions of the game is required to play Mercenaries.
    - Do wait for your App Store to propagate the latest client update!

Currency Changes
    - Players are now able to sell and purchase Lodestones with Silver at the Twocoin Bank.
    - Brigades must now be hired with Lodestones instead of Silver.
    - The game no longer auto-converts Lodestones into Silver.
    - Silver can be used to hire Advisors (see below).

*NEW* Advisors
    - Advisors are now available for Hire in the Hiring Grounds. Advisors give commanders a bonus effect for the duration they are hired.
    - There are 5 kinds of Advisors and only one of each type may be hired at any point in time. They are:
    1. Merchant - Increases silver gains.
    2. Trainer - Increases experience gained by Brigades.
    3. Veteran - Increases contract success chances.
    4. Bard - Increases Commander experience gained.
    5. Administrator - Reduces cost of starting Arena matches.
    - Hired Advisors may not be dismissed until their service duration expires. However, you may offer silver to a more powerful advisor to replace your current advisor if you so wish.
    - Favour reduces the cost of hiring Advisors by up to 20%.
    - An Advisor tab has been added to the Herald to assist tracking of Advisor effects.

*NEW* Training Grounds
    - The Training Grounds are now accessible at the Twin Cities! This feature allows players to try-out all available Brigades against Braccian retainers supplied by Dame Galea. The player only deploys a single Brigade. This contract does not offer any rewards.
    - The Training Grounds do not reward silver or XP but allow players to test out abilities and manoeuvring tactics.

*NEW* Brigades
    - The brigade "Burning Firsts" can now be recruited via the Hiring Grounds.
    - The brigade "L'Essaim" can now be recruited via the Hiring Grounds.
    - The brigade "Les Grognards" can now be recruited via the Hiring Grounds.
    - The brigade "Mizraki's Sandhounds" can now be recruited via the Hiring Grounds.

*NEW* Elements
    - Siegehost
    A Sotran Swarm able to Siphon health from enemy targets. The Siegehost is featured in the "L'Essaim" brigade.

Gameplay Changes
    - More maps are now featured in Border Skirmishes and in Random Multiplayer games!
    - Cardani Marshrunners have gained "Assault (II)" in place of "Critical Hit (II)".
    - Braccian Peltasts have gained "Ranged Assault (I)".
    - The "Lost Boars" brigade have gained an additional Royal Halberdier.
    - The health of Tellion Towers have been reduced to 30, down from 50.
    - The ability "Healing Blossom" has been reworked. It now puts a heal-over-time buff on all Friendly Elements. This buff heals the Element for 5 health at the end of the battle phase for 3 rounds. Healing Blossom no longer removes "Poison".

Bug Fixes
    - An issue causing the miscalculation of initiative rolls on Round 1 of each mission has been resolved.
    - An issue preventing Obediah Elmforde from summoning P.E.T.E. Mk II in a Deuce has been resolved.
    - "Activate Rune Mine" now has a sound effect.

Other Changes
    - The hints button has been shifted from the Herald to the Gameplay Codex.
    - Updated Everyplay.
    - Vungle ads now mute on display but only shows the close button at the end of the video.
    - Updated Tutorial Slides and Codex to reflect new changes.

19. lockecole7

lockecole7 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Bump! Hate to see this game fail to get the recognition it deserves, come check it out, it's free and worth any strategy enthusiast time.

20. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Heya all, we're happy to announce that Mercs is available on Android too! So if you have friends with those devices, you can have them check it out here! War beckons!