Universal Real Racing 3 by Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matthew-13, Feb 13, 2013.

1. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    I haven't updated yet, but no crashes either.

2. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Damn. I just reinstalled and it worked. Then when I copied my documents folder back over got the same thing. That's a bummer; I'd just gotten enough gold for the MacLaren.

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I prefered timers as they were before this update. The 5-min fix times encouraged me to drive better. Nonetheless, we still have to remember that like it or not, this game is freemium and devs have to make a living from it.

I think they're still experimenting to find the best solution economically speaking, so let's suggest things instead of raging against their decisions and maybe the devs will read them:

1. Out of the three timers we've had, I prefer the second one (some minutes to get cars fixed, less time to do service). If I was to add more time to something, I'd make repairs a bit more lengthy, rather than putting all the waiting times into service. Make it even between car fixing and car service.

2. When putting a "free gold offer", make sure the webs are ready for iphones. I've seen "5 free gold" offers which took me to webpages which needed flash player. What's the point of those offers if I cannot see them on the phone?

3. The IAP of "30% more coins" is a bit on the low side. That means for example 13,000 coins instead of 10,000 if I win a long race, so this means I'll race a 10,000 coin prize race 100 times instead of 130 times to get enough money for a highly priced car... I don't see much difference: it's still racing many times. In other words: I don't find an IAP of 30% more coins interesting enough. Double coins (i.e. 200% coins) is much more interesting, and the usual IAP in freemium titles.

Well, that's what I think.

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Same here. All of the RR games are off the AppStore. Not only could I not find them, but when I went to one of my appfinders and searched and clicked the link it confirmed that the games weren't in the US Appstore. I don't have RR3 so it's not that I'm on the wrong store or something.

I just finished downloading RR2 yesterday (had it on pause, waiting to finish) after buying it during one of the sales around Christmas time... guess I need to make sure it's backed up and go through my computer and if not dig through my monstrous purchase history and get it.

I hope this isn't a permanent thing. Just when the RR3 heat dies down a little and they go and pull all the games people payed money to play. That's just not going to sit well.

I watched the video posted. I was expecting something cool... but in the end it was just an average racer going around and making a lot of simple mistakes. I'm surprised how easy it was to regain position even after driving off the track.

5. alacourse

alacourse Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    I agree. Let's try to be constructive.

This makes me think of something. How about reversing the servicing and repair times? Service times faster, repair times longer: it would fit more reality and it would encourage good driving. But it may not be as lucrative.

Or keep repair times higher, and add IAP that enables faster servicing (see my MECHANICS post).

6. laszlo_kovacs

Sep 26, 2012
    If they went the way of the mechanics, which I think is a good idea, I could see them doing them individually according to car make.

7. racer-007

racer-007 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Wow...RR1 and RR2 pulled from the Appstore? Now this one's gonna cause a big commotion. People ain't gonna be happy. FIremonkeys are digging their own grave here.

8. laszlo_kovacs

Sep 26, 2012
    That is some horse puckey. I just lost my RR3 save as I was really getting into it, and I wanted to re-download the second so I could just switch to that. Man, I hope it's back up soon.

9. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I don't post on or visit the dev's website... for those that do, can you check to see if they've said anything about the games getting pulled from the appstore.

10. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    How did you lose your save?

11. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I don't see anything on their forums about it being removed. I'd have to go through a page of topics that have replies for yesterday, last night, and today; but I don't see any thread topics.

12. laszlo_kovacs

Sep 26, 2012
    After re-install, it worked, but upon iFunboxing my save back in, it went right back to crashing. Completely unplayable.

13. alacourse

alacourse Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    They are available in the Canadian store.

14. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    How do you get backups of pulled apps?

15. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I may be wrong, but I think unless you have it backed up to iTunes, you don't.

16. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    The driving physics are considerably better than RR2. If the running-into-walls physics were on par with the driving physics, you would cry that you have to spend two weeks waiting for your car to be repaired. Be careful what you wish for.

17. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    Haha +1 to that. Physics wise, only things missing are under/over-steering and slipstreaming. The rest are already covered imo.

18. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    #1998 McCREE, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    I get a little oversteer with the Shelby. I wish the AWD cars felt a little more grounded, but compared to RR2, which I reinstalled leading up to this release, I see improvement. I felt those cars were on rails and it made things less exciting. I know in this game that I really need to pay attention to which car I'm using when entering and exiting corners, which is nice.

Slipstreaming should be in any racing sim. Wondering if maybe it messes with the TSM somehow. I could see consistent lap times over GameCenter being an issue maybe? I know Forza penalized you for any sort of slipstreaming, whether you were the leading car or the trailing, as far as leaderboards went.

19. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    But do you feel the braking physics are a bit too liberal in this game? Or is it normal for a sim racer?

20. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Yeah, they're a bit generous with the brakes. Being able to rip around the corner under hard-braking is a little unrealistic I suppose. I'm ok with that ;)