Universal Real Racing 3 by Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matthew-13, Feb 13, 2013.

1. racer-007

racer-007 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Yeah I'm wondering the same. I logged in via FB. Does it save data? I want to carry on playing on my Android phone in 2 weeks so I really do hope it works.

2. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I've got no major issues with IAPs as an alternative model. My issue is there seems as though the majority of the time it's implemented all respect for the customer is lost. A Starter Car back I get. Waiting times I get. $100 dollar cars I don't get. There needs to be a ceiling for what the customer can spend. The money for product relationship has been lost.
    I think it's relatively early days for this pricing model and we will see it tip back into the gamers favour down the track.
    My major concern is an element of respect for the consumer and the IAPs impact on the experience.

3. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    #1023 McCREE, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    I'll do this later.

4. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I'd donate to charity but I just spent my last $20 on an engine upgrade

5. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Alright, so after all my ranting about this game, I finally started to play it. Some very early thoughts:

First off, I play with zero assists on, manual steering, braking and acceleration.

I've only raced in three cars, but the physics in this game feel worlds better than those of its predecessors. You can feel the weight of the cars you choose and they are very predictable in their performance.

I'm kind of a Forza junkie, so I have some experience on a couple of the early tracks. Starting out on Laguna Seca and following with Suzuka was really fun. Those two tracks translate really well from my experiences on other platforms, and I had a blast running through them on my iPad. I've run tens of thousands of e-laps on Laguna Seca over the years and FM did a great job bringing it to this platform. Things got uglier back on unfamiliar territory, which speaks volumes, because it should.

My experience with the AI is mixed. I think playing against TSM opponents is cool. It seems they take your opponents' lap times but not the actual ghost, so they do screw up and slow down in places, which is nice. It makes things feel much more organic than a strict AI. It also gives you the feeling of never being quite out of it after a mistake. Overall, TSM adds a bit of tension and excitement I wouldn't have had against a regularly implimented AI, and I like the concept a whole bunch. I'm not too fond of opponents deliberately wrecking me in straightaways. I can understand some rubbing in corners, but swerving away from the grain on a straight and putting me into a wall is unacceptable. This ties in with the track layout, too. The narrow tracks are nice if the racing is clean, but having narrow straights and opponents that deliberately wreck you feels too much like the developer stacking the deck against us, and that is deplorable. I'm sure this entire mechanic would feel different if the game weren't so reliant on an IAP-based repair system, but as it is, it's pretty wretched. That being said, I played Forza for years. I'm used to being wrecked by stupid people.

The wait for repairs system is a little rough, but I'm encouraged that people are saying as you accumulate more cars, this becomes less of a strain. I can see that being the case right now, but can't really experience it yet. The whole concept of a "payhill" as opposed to a "paywall" in interesting. Weird, but maybe workable.

The less desirable aspects of this game are obvious, and I'm not going to get into that any more than I already have in other posts and other threads. Somewhere back in those posts, I said that I would probably download this and then delete it. That's not going to happen. The gameplay has changed my mind. I'm pretty sure I'll be playing this for a little bit. I'm still very disappointed with the route this game chose to take, but I understand.

Great gameplay, though. Having a lot of fun.

6. iJoashFoo

iJoashFoo Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Singapore
    Just for those who are interested: my GC username is JaydenFZX.

I'd rather pay $8-10 for a full game without IAP but I guess this would've to do.

7. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I've read all those posts and all threads on RR3. In all the links you posted is still no claim to be found. I can understand where you're coming from,i tend to disagree with Eli a lot,but saying he's claiming anything is just not true. And yes my reaction was not the best and i'm sorry for that,but you're counterreaction isn't the nicest as well. Peace?

8. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Welcome on board :)

9. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Add this tool if you want some easy friend beating cash

Attached Files:

10. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I'd be the one being beaten lol.

11. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    How much extra R$ do you get by beating your friends. Some figures will help.

12. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Its varies a lot per race so no numbers would really be that accurate.

13. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Ok after one cup race I gotta wait 40 mins and I didn't ram to many people this time but my front was barly hanging on. I don't mind the game per say for destruction but as a game total yea no it needs some more tuning like the waiting times reduced(and staying) and maybe more cash winnings. Maybe add destruction derby mode

14. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Winner gets cash and no repair times

15. Hmm funny how the repair times returned. Still, at least we're still only waiting seconds. Not too bad.

It is kinda unnerving though- the thought that ok they can reduce wait times but they can also make them longer too when ever they like.

Still really enjoying this game though- especially now more skill is involved reducing brake assist. I do tend to bash right into the back of more opponents though- sorry Lost Deputy :D

16. racer-007

Feb 15, 2013
    Give me an example. $10k bonus? $1k? Average? I am not into this social stuff (never done it before, ever!) but for RR3 I might be prepapred.

17. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Just a percentage of the winnings. $1000 winnings +$100 per friend beaten.

I highly recommend friending up for this. All your times can be beaten and then challenged. I keep returning to try and challenge Wastedyuthe. He just pipped me on a drag race. Not surprising as he loves drag

18. Paul202

Paul202 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    School
    MI, USA
    #1038 Paul202, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    Wow, 100 pages in 2 days. Can someone sum it up for me? It looks pretty good, however I heard it's freemium and there's no drifting.

19. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    add me then: iVaro

20. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Fixed that for you.