Real Racing 3 - By Firemonkeys - Coming Feb 2013

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by killercow, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sicksilvo

sicksilvo Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    #1161 sicksilvo, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    At 2:07 min is a short look of it:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i364atnvCr0&feature=player_embedded

In "'Real Racing 3' iPhone 5 Developer Demonstration" it shows more of it for longer time

2. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    after watching the videos...it seems to me there is no replay after the race! :(

com'on...I love watching my own races and how cars crash. Plus, there are so many replays of RR2 on YouTube. So it should make sense to see RR3 videos!

3. sicksilvo

sicksilvo Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    For those who wonder will their device be supported. I know this is not officialbut it's closest we get to it at this point and time

"Firemonkeys has tried hard to support devices as far back as is feasible, with the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 being their target low-end devices. Following release they may even be able to get the game working on older hardware, but no guarantees."

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Aiming for iPhone 4 and iPad 2 so no touch 4 devices can play....oh well ill play NFS

5. Dan't Ponic

Dan't Ponic Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Antarctica
    I still believe in the same NFSMW requirements...

Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 4.0 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

Am I tripping? :confused:

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    TA article.

7. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Or just change the device's clock.

8. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Is there any info on cloud syncing? Obviously disappointed in the freemium news but I also play on multiple devices. Having to have separate profiles for each device will be the last straw as far as being turned off from the game. But if I am going to have to spend but can can pick up progress and gold coins purchased from device to device, my love of the franchise will win out.

9. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    All you needed to do was visit the Lunar Grotto in-game and you could change the moon phase any time you like. (sorry for going off-topic in the RR3 thread)

10. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, that's right. I'm just saying to the others that you didn't need to abandon the game or change the date and time settings on your device or any of that stuff.

11. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Temple Runs gentle approach to iap is what is causing it to have monetization problems.
    Not huge ones but its success at downloads is not having an equal effect on revenue.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/The+Charticle/news.asp?c=48295

Their freemium model will probably have to change.

So the comparison between Real Racing 3 and it is somewhat null and void as its very doubtful that a possible Temple Run 3 will employ the same freemium model as the other two.

12. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #1172 dumaz1000, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    The problem here is the obvious. You are never done paying for this game. Not ever. If want a hardcore experience from out if a game like this, then you will be paying to play it for the entirety of the time in which you choose to play it. You could spend literally hundreds of dollars on a game like this. And that is what makes it a scam. An endless pay to play model. This sort of a model should be capped. Then I could at least mildly respect it. As in, if you spend a certain amount on consumable IAP, you will reach a point where the entire game is unlocked for free. It could be $30 or $40, but without that sort of a stipulation, the whole experience is a sham.

Haha, they are using the same model as Eliminate did, 3 years ago. That developer is now extinct. EA obviously won't go extinct, but still, there should have been a lesson to be learned here.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

While I applaud your campaign against free to play, this is a weird argument. Eliminate had nothing to do with ngmoco being extinct. That company was designed from the ground up to make its executives and angel investors loads of money via a textbook business pump and dump. Eliminate, Rolando, and all those games were just a means to the end of golden parachutes for all.

If anything, their switch to free to play was instrumental in building the value of the company to then sell for millions and millions of dollars to their new corporate overlords.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You realize that this is likely going to be balanced exactly like most other good free to play games in that $10-15 worth of IAP will have you on cruise control well into the time it'd take for you to get bored with the game, yeah?

15. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

So looking at TAs gameplay videos it costs 2 gold coins to change the colour of a car and you only get 5 gold coins per level up? That's... not verry good.

16. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Bottom line is , as others have said, they did this because its worked for others. I hate it with a passion but if I could do the same and going freemium made me more bottom line money, I'd do the same exact thing. Only people that can be blamed is ourselves because on the large, the community funded these tactics in the past. On a personal note I never have personally paid for freemium but my jaw was on the ground to see what a middle of the road game like even csr has accomplished. You may not be doing freemium personally, but judging by the grossing list, your friends sure are. Ea does a lot of things wrong, but can't hate or blame them for this one. Disappointed? For sure but again, that top grossing list proves we did this to ourselves.

And while I haven't done freemium in the past, guess whose gonna be first in line to ante up on feb 28th. Simple economics folks, demand is going to be there regardless of how this is supplied. I'm just praying their is some sort of profile syncing between devices. I have a ipad4, mini and iphone5. I want that flexibility to make uniform purchases and playing that can be picked up on any device.

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    They had a very good synching/back up system in 2 so I'm quietly confident (hopeful) of a similar system or iCloud at least.

18. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    When I took a look at the Top Grossing chart for the All Games category in the App Store yesterday, a grand total of ONE game out of the Top Ten was premium, Minecraft PE. The next semi-premium game (Bloons TD 5, which is "paidmium") was at #30. There was somewhere around 15-20 premium apps in the Top 100. Real Racing 1 or 2 were not in the Top 100.

This means that for Premium to make serious money on the App Store, it must already have a dedicated and massive fan base around it (Minecraft) or be "paidmium". And that's still no guarantee that the game will be good. AND, that's still no guarantee that the game will succeed.

Less money to develop = poorer overall quality games because of fewer resources. Sure, Indies make up for this lack of resources through heart and plain hard work, but if that same heart and soul had the resources behind it, something truly amazing could be made. Free To Play could be what breaks indies into the AAA industry so that they get the resources to do amazing things. How else can they compete?

Sure, the Indie space is a highly personal segment of the games industry, but there are indies who want to turn their passions into full-time jobs. Free To Play, done right, could be the only way to do so in a successful manner.

Plus, on a somewhat different note, you are not forced to repair your car after every race. You can forego repairs and keep racing, as long as critical components are not damaged. It says so on TA's article about how the FTP system works. So you got a few dents on your Lamborghini. So what? Race that sucker until the engine craps out! If you're good enough, I'm pretty sure it will be at least three to four races before your performance begins to nosedive. If you're hardcore, that may NEVER happen.

Bam. Repair timer done away with.

Also, think about real-life racing. It does take time to buy new parts and get them installed. Cars take some serious damage when (NOT IF, WHEN) they crash, and it takes money and time to repair them. Also, slamming into an opponent is a viable racing strategy in real life, since if it is successful, it can get competition out of your way so you can move forward.

I would say for a game called "Real Racing", this freemium stuff is actually closer to real life racing than most racing games. Within limits, of course (Sure, I'll buy "Gold". Which leprechaun does it belong to, so I can capture him and get three wishes? (Gotta make sure it's only 3 wishes, since a 4th wish nullifies all the wishes)).

Is it 100% perfect? No. But we're human, and so are the devs. So is EA. We make mistakes. We get messy. We get dirty. We screw up. All we can do is our best, and likewise for them. Those who think otherwise are kidding themselves IMHO.

Those are my thoughts. Take them however you will.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

19. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    There was a way to bypass that in-game, so I don't think it applies to this particular discussion.

20. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I was going to buy some IAP because you did a good job but now it's not compatible ....