Universal Reckless Racing 2 - (by Polarbit) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 1, 2012.

1. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    #481 helriser, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
    I feel relieved to know that you are working on a fix to the controls. I jus don't understand why it sounds a little difficult to fix. Why can't you just replicate RR1 controls? Which in my opinion would mostly involve copy/paste the code from RR1 to RR2. I'm sure it's not that simple but would it be that much different?

Anyway please I would really love three things on top of fixed controls:

1. Zoom in on the cars during turns and drifts like in Mini Motors do so I can get a little close-up on those fantastic looking cars.

2. Give us a new mode where you can specify the terms for all AI cars in the race. Ie... make all cars drift to their maximum or best handling for all cars.

3. Allow us to watch replay of a race with different camera angles like in Real Racing 2.

Thanks

2. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Hey in some ways I'm glad this recent update wiped the game, since now Pixelbite is coming into the forums again and responding!!! :D

THANK YOU for at least recognizing the steering, the suspension and the movement of the cars issues. I'll be back later for more comments.

3. EatingMyHat

EatingMyHat Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    Loved the first one and this is even better. The only comment is that it might be hard for new-comers because the handling is a bit loose unless you start to upgrade.

Plays ok on iPad 1 (some crashes, some lag), amazing on iPad 2.

4. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Pixelbite,

In terms of the steering...

1) So you do agree with what I've been saying? That when you tap left or right (especially on pavement) that the cars (ALL the cars, no matter how upgraded) jolts too far?

2) Do you find this to be an issue that is associated with the Steering Sensitivity? I find that adjusting the Steering Sensitivity to be largely ineffective no matter what car I'm using or how upgraded it is. Or are they separate issues, where the Steering Sensitivity is largely ineffective and the steering is too extreme all by itself?

In terms of the suspension, movement of the cars, etc...

1) I understand what you mean that in terms of higher performing cars it would be more difficult to demonstrate chassi movement, less wiggle room, etc. However, I find it highly ironic that a lot of room has been made in this game for the garage (customization to make the car look different and perform differently) but the cars feel one-dimensional no matter what is done to them in the garage. Yes, we can make them go faster, change their color etc., but in the end all the cars feel weightless and flat. In RR1, looking at any of those vehicles going over a jump, you can actually see the suspension move and you can FEEL the weight of the car as it goes airborne and then the impact as it returns to the ground. In RR2, I go over a jump and I feel like I am flying out of control. It's weightless and even the slightest tap while I'm in the air is enough to send my car sideways upon landing. Any way that you can add to the 'feel' of these vehicles in general, so that they have some weight behind them, so they don't feel so one-dimensional, so they don't feel so 'toy-like,' this would be HUGE.

In terms of the camera angle...

1) Helriser's idea of a 'zoom in' component is something that might be worth looking into. Looking at it from another perspective, I think having the ability to pan in AND pan out would be useful, as I often wish I could see more of the track ahead of time. RR2 requires more memorization of the tracks than RR1 and I often end up turning into a row of blue barrels by accident simply because I've only gone around the track once or twice AND because I am not panned out enough to see a particular curve coming soon enough. Of course they're are the aides like the blue line and the little map, but it isn't the same as being able to see more of the track ahead of time.

5. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I agree in part about the handling, the cars do react a bit too exaggerated to touch steering, however, it only took me 10 to 15 minutes to get used to that and I compensate for this pretty much automatically when I play.

I realise this might not be the case for everyone though, so an adjustment for this would be fine in an update.

To change the cars so they behave like the cars in RR1, however, would do this great sequel a disservice IMO.

I loved RR1 as much as the next guy, but, for me, RR2 is pund for pound a much better top down racer in almost every aspect.

I would hate for the Devs to change too much in the driving mechanics in an update.
    Reading this forum from top to bottom, there's two or three people who would like RR2 should be RR1 with better graphics, the rest seems to love the game as it is.

I haven't installed the update yet for obvious reasons, but I got a bit upset when reading that the cars AI have been changed to be easier to beat. I haven't had much trouble beating the game as it is before the update. I hope it doesn't kill the game for me.

6. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #486 SumoSplash, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
    I hear what you're saying BB.

The handling/over-reaction to touch/sensitivity issue is something that I also learn to compensate for myself as I play, but it is also something that is constantly irking me as well.

I find myself thinking with my own posts that everyone thinks I want RR2 to play exactly like RR1. This is not true. I think RR2 is, in many ways, superior to RR1 and I definitely don't want a carbon copy of the first. My points may refer back to RR1, but ultimately are directed more at how I can see RR2 as becoming a better version of RR2.

The point is to achieve a happy medium. Pixelbite isn't going to change the game that much in either direction regardless, it is what it is. But I don't think that adding a little more life to the vehicles in terms of weight and frame rate could be a bad thing, while simultaneously tweaking the control sensitivity/the extreme angling of your vehicle with just a slight tap.

Pixelbite will keep the core mechanics pretty much the same while tweaking certain things for people like me who won't let it die. It'll take a couple solid updates, but in the long run I think we'll all be pretty happy.

7. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    :)
    I was mostly thinking of Helriser's posts, he does sound very insisting and adamant in his critique, and sometimes, (sorry Helriser), a bit over the top in regards to the mechanics of RR2.
    I guess he loved the first game so much and was very disappointed in the sequel, which is a shame.
    And he, you and everyone else have of course a right to critique the game. :)

I just wanted to comment now so the Devs knew that there's a lot that loved the game as it is. Excepting the latest mistake with missing progress, of course. :D

Your comments on the handling of the cars is interesting reading, and the tone in your posts sounds more constructive and forgiving.

I have often sounded very much like Helriser when commenting on games, and re-reading those posts of mine have made me cringe sometimes, one can get very much caught up in the moment, so I know where he's coming from.
    I just feel its a bit unjustified in regards to this game.

I think a lot of your suggestions are great, but I think there's a bigger chance of them being implemented in RR3, if we're so lucky as to get a third game in the series.

8. Pixelbite_Games

Pixelbite_Games Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    Helsingborg, Sweden
    A new update have been submitted to Apple, and should go live any day now. It will detect if your save file were corrupted in the last update, and in that case give you a few options for reimbursement and unlocks.

The sensitivity slider have been fixed as well, so you can tune it down if you want the car to be less twitchy. More fixes will be included in the next, bigger update too.

9. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Hello Devs,

Thank you so much for this new update. The controls (while still not like RR1) are better for me now. This in addition to the previous AI fix have really brung me back to this game. I'm looking forward to the upcoming big update.

Ps. You know what would be cool, to improve the online part of the game (make it less laggy,) have the cam zoom in a little during turns ala Mini Motors and add a free roam mode (offline and online)where you can drive off the track without auto reset, because I noticed some potential for serious stunts off te road and have AI cars driving in the free roam mode as well.

Thanks a million for the controls update. Now I'm a happy camper!

10. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Loads of racing games have come and gone from my iPhone but I keep coming back to Reckless Racing 2. Its a keeper, IMHO.

The reimbursement for lost save file allows you three free purchases. The options are loads of in-game credit (up to $2,000,000 with single purchase), unlock all Arcade and unlock all Single Track events.

- GregB

11. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #491 SumoSplash, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    Ahhhhhhhh... FINALLY.

For everyone that said the 'controls were fine' with this game, download the update and see how the controls were MEANT to be when the game was first released. Now I'm convinced that the Steer Sensitivity was not working at all, which was my original thought. This is a huge improvement. HUGE. I am keeping the Steer Sensitivity at around 15-20% (18% to be exact) and that is just about right. Now I feel like I have more control so I can drive less scared. And Pixelbite, I now thank you for listening. The compensation for the lost data was very generous, the Steer Sensitivity actually works now and is NOTICEABLE instantly upon adjustment and the last part of the update--the bug where cars lost some grip--is an added bonus. I noticed this with the Tector while going around a turn, it would just suddenly lose grip and slide (especially while taking the turn quickly). The slide itself was quick, but definitely awkward enough to address. Awesome.

The Steer Sensitivity is so good now that the weight of the cars feels slightly better too, although I would love it if you guys tweaked the frame rate, etc. too. THEN this game will be the five stars TA originally rated it.

We're heading in the right direction!

Thanks Pixelbite! :eek::D

12. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I just wanna check how the lost data compensation works, cause I have updated and started the app and cannot see anything. I did lose all my data last update in fact I was the first to post about it here. Thanks

13. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    So I just read the post from Greg b above about the 3 options. I definitely don't see any of those. Hmmm

14. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Sorry to keep posting, but has anyone else who lost data and has just updated not been compensated?

15. tanthinhmoi1

tanthinhmoi1 New Member

May 28, 2012
  16. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I would take it up with Pixelbite. When I opened the game a window pops right up.

17. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Me! Drat double drat!

18. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Not that I lost that much data, but I lost all my data nonetheless.
    There is zero compensation on my end, too. No pop window or anything.

19. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    In my case I sent pixelbite an pm & recieved a reply saying they'll look into it. But I get the feeling it's hopeless.

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I got the compensation. As soon as I opened the game, the three free purchases were there. Did you uninstall the game? I left it installed even after losing the data until the update came out. Maybe the reason you aren't getting the compensation is if you uninstalled the game and then reinstalled the update as if you were installing a new game? I don't know, just trying to guess there...