iPad Red Conquest - (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wootbean, Dec 12, 2009.

1. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Yeah well due to following this thread it's spoiled that little secret..
    I can't wait to try blue out, but i'm going to go through the campaign first.

I love reds feel, but the graphics for blue are pretty cool.

2. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Well I think that with global multiplayer. This
    will be THE best game for the iPhone

3. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    My little blue team on the aggressive, about to hawk on that enemy :)

Attached Files:

4. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

#344 Ace_97, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    I finally bought the game! Decided to get this first then labyrinth 2. Charged this one on my parent's credit card and then i'll charge the more expensive one on my iTunes Card that i will soon be getting.

Okay, back on topic. This game is great. It is a true RTS. I didn't find it that hard. I played both tutorials at first. I finished all the campaign missions except for the last on in about an houe (maybe an hour and a half). I really enjoy the micromanagement. You can finally flank (the way you want) without the game being turn-based.

As for the cutscenes, they are ok. Didn't really need them because of the text. Graphics are great.

My Overall Rating: 4.5

5. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Hint: go to audio options and adjust the volume levels. :)

6. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

@Mew2468: didn't think about that. :p
    i'll edit my previous post.

7. Tharob

Tharob Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    none
    Heerenveen, The Netherlands
    ok great. the weird thing is i never touched the pause buton before that :p

8. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    its not the user's fault. If you dont have enough resources then you dont build with different units at the same time. So lets say you have 2 foundries each building 2 fighters each. With enough resources both of them are building simultaneously. However, if you run out of resources one gets priority whie the other is automatically paused. What seems to be a bug though, is that once you do have enough resources then for some reason the foundry that was paused doesnt go back from being paused on its own. Make sense?

9. Tharob

Tharob Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    none
    exacly thats it. but you also cant force it to start again. with me it never build anything again. (i was almost at the end of the level though).

10. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Ok, so another thing you have to remember is to make sure you havent reachced the unit cap. If you cant force it to start again then its also worth noting. If you were at the end of the level though I'm thinking maybe you did reach the unit cap. A good way to know is to check how far is the build? does it build almost all the way except for that 1%? If you move other units down do they also continue building?

11. airhead3

airhead3 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Loading Bug?

I was playing through one of the later missions in the campaign when, in the middle of the action, everything except the path indicators disappeared and a "Loading" message came up:

[​IMG]

The battle kept going, though, as both the music and the sounds continued (including the impact sounds of my ships being pummeled) - I just couldn't control anything. After about 10-15 seconds, the game came back and I was able to play again, though that same loading thing flashed a couple more times (though not as extensively) in the course of playing that mission. I haven't seen it before or since this instance.

I'm running the game on a 3GS and haven't had any other issues. Anyone else see this?? :confused:

12. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    i saw a loading screen like that before which consisted of loading screen but what happened to me was just a bunch of loading screents one after the other and then it crashed. I cant recreate it though. I'm also on 3gs havent seen it again

13. Tharob

Tharob Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    none
    the build was at like 783 or something some arbitrary number. and the unit cap was at something like 37/80.

14. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    just played some campaign missions today
    wow this game is freaking amazing
    anything I have to say will have already been said..
    wow this game is amazing

15. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Well the developer is already looking at this from a different complaint so I'm sure it'll be fixed in the next update.

:)

16. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Game Impressions

Ok so I bought this because I loved blue defense and attack even though I was reluctant to spend 4 dollars on an app (yeah I'm cheap but only after buying so many apps already!) This game is hands down one of the best iphone app purchases I've made so far and it's up there with isotope and geo defense!

I'm only 2 levels in and it's very clear that the dev worked really hard on polishing the game up and did an excellent job presenting the game to you with interactive tutorials. The art style is a little strange and might confuse and turn off casual buyers but I love it. I'm never really like the idea of playing an rts on a touch since (I believe they were meant to be played on much bigger screens) but the controls are really intuitive and just works in this game.

At first I was really suspicious about buying the game because it had over 20 5 star reviews and zero 1 star reviews but now I see why people love this game so much. It's a shame that this app will probably be overlooked by the more notable ones with better marketing though. I don't think the app is overpriced at all but 4 dollars might be a hard indy game impulse purchase for most people, especially without a lite version.

17. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Yea but I think that it will gain a cult-following. Get playing b/c the devs already announced multiplayer. Not soon i think but they're working on it. By the way, the challenge levels are really fun :)

18. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    I disagree about the price (3.99 is spot on) but agree that this would benefit from a lite version.

MAJOR CAVEAT: fix the tutorials first... no sense getting low stars in the lite version.........

19. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I agree that this game will probably get a cult following because the creator's previous games. It could probably be the next Galcon if only the game had internet multi-player! I've purchased a bunch of mediocre apps lately but this and glu's Beat It! definitely make up for the bad ones :)

20. GumGuts

GumGuts Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    #360 GumGuts, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    A good lite version would be a really fleshed out tutorial, and a mission plus a single challenge mode. So people get the hang of it and can use the skills :p