iPad Red Conquest - (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wootbean, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    That's a great idea! We'll think about it for a future update. :)

2. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    #402 Narziss, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    @jakooistra

Wow, thank you jakooistra for your nice reply. Okay, well my best time is 1:17, so I just need to figure out how to cut 12 seconds. Glad now I know what I have to aim for.. :)

You're my favorite dev!

3. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Why can't multiplayer games be paused?

4. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I think a tech tree of some sorts would be cool (as someone else said), upgrade your fighter capacity, or any other characteristic.

Or individual upgrades, like each ship can upgrade itself. That might be tedious to do though..

5. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California

Adding to this. Remember the Atlas from QC? something like that would be nice :) especially considering your team's ingenuity

6. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    b/c it was designed to play against humans.....against humans can you imagine the frustation that everytime you pause everyone paused?

Thats why people keep suggesting a real skirmish...like multiplayer but with the ability to pause/save/set difficulty/set type of AI (aggressive, passive, turle, random, etc)

7. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Heroes. Now that's a thought.
    DotA in Red Conquest. There's another thought.

8. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    I'm about to submit an updated binary with skirmish, and local multiplayer will be pausable (and have save state, etc). :)

network multiplayer will still not have pause.

I've never even looked for it before, but does warfare Inc or QC have multiplayer pause/save?

9. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey jakooistra,

I'm LOVING! The game, but I was wondering how often you plan to release episodes.

10. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    As quickly as we can!

Episode 2 is targeted to come out in march - but that's partly because we're delayed by the holidays, and partly because we wanted to give ourselves some extra tine for the initial list of feature requests we k re we'd be getting.

First update should be out soon, but that's not the same as an episode! It should still have a bunch of goodies and features you guys have asked for, though. :)

Stay tuned, I'll let you know when I submit and what's been updated. I should be wrapping up my coding tomorrow evening. :)

11. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    wow.!!!

I'm super excited now at the suspense :D

Uh...warfare inc doesnt have pauseable multiplayer....it wouldnt make sense for it to be able to be paused though, im with you on that one.... Is this next update coming with online multiplayer? :eek:

12. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I love the puzzle elements of challenge mode. Do you plan to release a few new ones everynow and then?

13. RacingGun

RacingGun Active Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I'd like to add my thoughts and comments to the idea of more experienced units getting an attack bonus or some such thing. The idea is interesting and certainly has it's place, but it really depends on what type of game Red Conquest is to be, particularly when it comes to multiplayer. I give as my example Starcraft and Warcraft III. Starcraft's gameplay is much cleaner and simpler, which make it a much more balanced and enjoyable to play competatively. Warcraft on the other hand added a bunch of features, such as heroes, which while very fun for single player and casual multiplayer, introduce factors that hamper competative play.

Anyways, I just want to make sure people consider everything that is effected by adding features that sound cool, but can have adverse affects.

14. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

would you mind sharing how you did it? I cannot beat 'Not a Fair Fight' no matter how many times I try ...

15. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I will not, but i will offer one hint....notice that blue usually sends a cruiser....hmmm i wonder why :rolleyes:

16. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I agree, a change in any one unit drastically changes the balance the dev has been able to reach. However it can start by experimenting with a new units in a few challenge missions and then depending on results maybe integrate it in main gameplay.

I dont know if you've played QC but the Atlas in there was very fun to use. I'm sure something simliar could be implemented here. Anyways i think we're just throwing ideas, if the devs choose to try them out I'm sure they'll have to deem it playable and for it to make sense before releasing anything. At this poiint I really trust the developer's decisions, and part of their decisions are made on our suggestions. All in all I dont think it really hurts to throw ideas out there :)

17. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah, you could add a research ship for each side, and have different upgrades for every ship, eg: More fighter squadrons for the Battleship

18. Tharob

Tharob Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    none
    Heerenveen, The Netherlands
    sweet. thanks :D

i dont think i have any S ranks exept for the firste one. mostly A's because i like to take my time :p

19. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Yea even the escape missions are really hard...I'm looking at you zipper...:mad:

20. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    zipper was one of my favourites to design. :) And look at.

I also really really like "A Tale of Two...", in survivor. That level took me a while to tweak to just the right difficulty, because of course, I have to make sure each level can be beaten... and you know, beating that level is... hard...