iPad Red Conquest - (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wootbean, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Multiplayer demo video posted to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYi1JXuCntI

I will also soon (in 1-2 days) post a more elaborate post on the game to the multiplayer update / news catch-up thread ( http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=419463 ) and, finally, may also update the main multiplayer article here at the User Reviews forum (see http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=34037 ). The latter will only be done later (if the quality of the title warrants it, that is).

NOTE: the usual remarks explained at the bottom of http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=660985&postcount=10 (see section “4. The videos”) apply – that is, 3G vs. 3G S speed comparison; only one player etc.

2. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    really glad multiplayer games can be paused now -.-

3. twentyone

twentyone Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    OKC, Oklahoma
    Just wanted to say great job to the dev, jakooistra.

I'm really enjoying this game and I'm not really even a fan of RTS games although I have enjoyed Quantum Collapse and Command & Conquer. This game stands on it's own as a unique and fun game that is quite challenging with much replay value!

Thanks!!

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Asking again,

Are the Challenges somewhat randomized so as to be replayable?

Do they have any associated scores or statistics tracked for each of these Challenges?

5. majormauser

majormauser Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    The whole game including the Challenges are re-playable. There is little chance that you will get a perfect score the first time you play a challenge.

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sure, you can replay any mission but will the AI vary its initial setup or starting positions so it doesn't feel like you're just replaying some scripted campaign mission?

7. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Some challenge missions are strictly scripted, but other ones have enemy AI. Sometimes the AI will make different decisions sometimes, like which attack units to build, and how large its attack groups should be. Mostly, the AI will make similar decisions, though.

The skirmish mode coming out in the update will randomize everything for you - you could play against up to 7 AIs, on one of 15 maps, each with a random faction, and starting in random location! :)

8. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    How about a Christmas Sale on Red Conquest?

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay then! Once I see that you'll have yourself another sale, thanks! :D

10. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    If you honestly think about it, dropping 3.99 for an amazing RTS is an amazing deal, lots of bang for your buck at this price.

Great to hear about the randomization stuff!

And even if the AI didn't try different strategies, you yourself could try different strategies and elongate the replayability a bit.

11. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    #471 onewithchaos, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
    I don't think there was a sale at all with the first one. If anything I'd suggest picking this up so that when multi-player comes out, you can play against other people more efficiently. There's are very strategic ways to use your units and you'll have a blast playing campaign/multiplayer etc

@John.

What happens to your resources if you have a unit being built and you cancel the build? do you lose resources?

12. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Looking at all the strategy in the strategy thread made me add this to my christmas wishlist. It just sounds so epic and cool.

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It is. I have never seen such innovative controls and effective micromanageable gameplay as this.

14. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Even better, did you read about the multiplayer they're already working on?

EDIT: i meant global. There's already bluetooth and local

15. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    dang!
    Cannot wait for christmas.

16. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    yea, play it as soon as you get it because it takes a while to get used to it. And you dont want to fall behind when multiplayer comes out ;)

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I think me meant that he would buy the game (therefore giving John another sale...)

And both BD! and BA! have had sales (I got BD! on same, already had BA! at the time...)

18. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Cancelling a build gives you 100% of your resources back.

Most of the game balance has to do with how fast your ships are produced, and what you're going to make next - so there was a decision very early on to make the economy fluid (just like Blue Attack - you get 100% cash back for selling your upgrades). That way, game speed is kept up high, because decisions are less difficult to make - cancelling later comes at no penalty. :)

19. onewithchaos

Apr 16, 2009
    California

i just re-read, what the heck was i on :p

Thanks for answering John. BTW i decided to alternate wallpapers every week. They just never get old :)

I hadn't played much multiplayer but this weekend i did, and I can totally see why everyone's been asking for a save-feature. I'm so glad it's already submitted. ;)

20. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009