iPad Red Conquest - (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wootbean, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    We had Wifi without Bluetooth... but my brother only has got 2.2.1 on his iPod (he doesn't want to pay because not so many games require 3.x...)

2. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Make sure that even on your 3.x device that Bluetooth is completely off.

Also, the app store let you install red conquest on a 2.2.1 device?? I thought the game required OS 3.0 or higher to even launch - it's news to me that you can install it at all on 2.2.1! It's not jailbroken, is it?

Can I assume you've both tried to be the host?

The more info I have, the better chance I can figure out what's wrong. :). Although, you're the first report I've heard of this not working.

3. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Ah, sry, I was wrong... my brother uses 3.0 (unjailbroken)...
    We both tried to be host, both devices had Bluetooth completely deactivated...

4. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Version 1.0.1 is out!

Let me know what you think. :)

5. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Have you tried Bluetooth enabled, but wifi off on both devices?

6. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Is this game too complex for a noob to the genre to pick up? Looks great and interesting, and I consider myself a smart dude. Will I have trouble with it?

7. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I'm a noob to RTS and I love it!

8. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    The new red is much better... Will the build screens etc that still have the old red be changed in a future release?

9. majormauser

majormauser Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    #529 majormauser, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
    I love the new Harvester Gathering ratings the little +10 or +20 really helps out on being the most efficient with building resources. AI Seems a little smarter as well. Did you change the Monitor graphics as well looks like they disappear and reappear differently now.

MM

10. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    AI hasn't changed. :p I guess you just had a bad game against some AI opponents? :)

What difference do you see in the monitor graphics, what do you mean by disappearing/reappearing?

The resource gathering thing even helps me out, and shows you guys that the Base is really better at gathering resources than the harvester - I think it caps out at +40, while harvesters cap out at +28. I think. Don't quote me on that! :p

11. majormauser

majormauser Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    The Monitors looked like they more smoothly fade in and out with an aura on them. One other important thing is I did get a phone call while playing and the sound cut out for the rest of the game.

I'm still struggling with Acceptance but the new tutorial gives me a better idea at the Strategy of RC.

12. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    me too! :D

I just love that you can pause a multiplayer game now

13. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Havent touched this in a while but I'm looking forward to it and the update.
    Settlers and Trenches are stealing my time..
    I can't wait to get lost in Red Conquest again though.

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    hi5 to the dev.
    Excellent game,great update.

15. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    OH, about Wifi turned off and only Bluetooth enabled... will try this :D

Need to update the interface tutorial, just a small update adding in the information about the harvested resources :D

I don't see much difference in Red's color... am I blind? :D

I just noticed every sentence ends with a smiley :D

16. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I noticed a change in Red. It's very subtle though. I'm loving the saving on skirmish :)

17. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Ok, I've been thinking long and hard on getting this one as it looks great but I'm a newcomer to the RTS genre. I have been playing and enjoying Rogue Planet, but one thing that bugs me about that game is that you can't quit the app in the middle of a campaign/battle and come back in the middle of it; you have to start over from the beginning. Does the same apply for Red Conquest! or is it friendly to those of us who have to start and stop matches often?

18. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Red Conquest has auto-save for all local game types. :)

Campaign missions, skirmish, and challenge missions can all be manually saved and loaded, and will also auto-save if you quit, or get a phone call, or if your phone runs out of battery, etc.

So yes, to answer your question - it is convenient. :) And load times are pretty low, too!

I've been playing Inotia: wanderer of Luone recently, and the lack of auto-save really really really annoys me. My phone ran out of battery at some point, and I lost a bunch of progress. It almost stopped me from getting back into the game!

19. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    true, the game loads incredibly quickly. with the easy skirmish mode, you could probably tap the icon and have a game going in a few seconds

20. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    It's also got different save slots so you can do the campaign in one of the game slots, do challenge on another one, and do a skirmish on another one. I forget how many save slots...8 i think?

If you do save state, you can do save+quit which brings you to the main menu and let's you do something else.

I was a newcomer to the RTS genre not too long ago, this game might even be better for you for iPhone RTS since the people that have been playing a long time take longer to get used to the controls. This is a great game that you definitely won't regret. It's got beautiful graphics. If you're still debating you can read my review on my signature or the tutorial and unit diagram (also on my sig). Not to mention, its got a KILLER icon :)